ADVERTISEMENT

Very good win on the road against Wofford

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
Wofford just beat Georgia and had a Pomeroy rating of 111. This was a solid win on the road. It was nice to see the team rally at the end and not fold. Multiple player made positive contributions. It is unfortunate that people on another post on this board said "Wofford is terrible", Wofford is not a good team", "the Spiders were lucky to win". None of those statements are true. Wofford might not be a great team, but they are certainly a very good team. Also, outside of a 5 minute stretch, we played great basketball on both offense and defense. This is a good win for the Spiders and I hope we take this good play up to Northern Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700
Wofford just beat George and had a Pomeroy rating of 111. This was a solid win on the road. It was nice to see the team rally at the end and not fold. Multiple player made positive contributions. It is unfortunate that people on another post on this board said "Wofford it terrible", Wofford is not a good team", "the Spiders were lucky to win". None of those statements are true. Wofford might not be a great team, but they are certainly a very good team. Also, outside of a 5 minute stretch, we played great basketball on both offense and defense. This a good win for the Spiders and I hope we take this good play up to Northern Iowa.
If we have to consistently shoot 60% from the floor to win basketball games, I don't like our chances.

I agree Wofford is better than some are giving credit, but to say we played great basketball on both offense and defense except for a 5 minute stretch is a stretch
Agree. There were same long term patterns of open 3’s and free baskets under goal. Fix those & it would pay dividends.

I agree Wofford is better than some are giving credit, but to say we played great basketball on both offense and defense except for a 5 minute stretch is a stretch
If you take out the stretch from 7:11 to 2:25 in the 2nd half we out score them by 19 points. I don't know what your definition of great basketball is, but I thought our offense, outside of unusual turnovers from Gill,y was terrific.

Our defense during that period we smothered them and only allowed 26 1st half points. For the game we held them to their lowest points of the season. Better than Clemson, UGA and South Carolina.

This was a solid road win and the team deserves praise not ridicule.

Wofford just beat Georgia and had a Pomeroy rating of 111. This was a solid win on the road. It was nice to see the team rally at the end and not fold. Multiple player made positive contributions. It is unfortunate that people on another post on this board said "Wofford it terrible", Wofford is not a good team", "the Spiders were lucky to win". None of those statements are true. Wofford might not be a great team, but they are certainly a very good team. Also, outside of a 5 minute stretch, we played great basketball on both offense and defense. This a good win for the Spiders and I hope we take this good play up to Northern Iowa.
There it is.

If you take out the stretch from 7:11 to 2:25 in the 2nd half we out score them by 19 points. I don't know what your definition of great basketball is, but I thought our offense, outside of unusual turnovers from Gill,y was terrific.

Our defense during that period we smothered them and only allowed 26 1st half points. For the game we held them to their lowest points of the season. Better than Clemson, UGA and South Carolina.

Unfortunately it's a 40 minute game and they all count. The object of the game is to get more points than the other team during that 40 minute span. It doesn't matter when. If we selectively omitted 5 to 7 minutes from each game, we'd be 8-0. I'm glad we won the game but we're not going to shoot 61% every game.

Good wiin by the Spideys. Certainly did not like to see that second half run by our opponent that has become a Richmond tradition. We are back to .500 and on to the next one. Bumpy roads lead to beautiful places.

But you can't "take out the stretch from 7:11 to 2:25 in the 2nd half". It's a major portion of the game where we blew all but 2 points of an 18 point lead - a pattern we've seen too consistently in 3 of 4 prior losses.

I'm having trouble following your reasoning. A game is 40 minutes, and you can't whitewash approximately 5 mins to fit your narrative.

Unfortunately it's a 40 minute game and they all count. The object of the game is to get more points than the other team during that 40 minute span. It doesn't matter when. If we selectively omitted 5 to 7 minutes from each game, we'd be 8-0. I'm glad we won the game but we're not going to shoot 61% every game.
Exactly. I bet Wofford could identify a 5-7 minute stretch of the game to remove that would make them look like world beaters too. Why are some of us so willing to do these Olympics level mental gymnastics to place such a pitiful win against a totally overmatched opponent on a pedestal. We should have beaten these clowns by 20 especially given our unsustainably high FG%

80’s over zealous positively at times annoys me. Though at the end of the year game will count as a W with no regard at how it was accomplished. Another meltdown but excellent job in getting the 18 point lead on the road that preserved the victory.

NI will be tougher especially after losing last night but if it is a repeat of last night’s W I’ll take it any way it occurs. No need for me complaining about the W last night.

Will take a road win. Glad that Storm guy transferred to VT, he was a problem last year.

There's a few clips on the Wofford twitter account (https://twitter.com/WoffordMBB) which are interesting to look at to see what our defense is doing. Looks like we were having issues chasing the guy who got hot through screens and left him open a few times, the last one is just a lack of rebounding effort.

A win is a win and we should celebrated as such. That said, trying to spike the football for a road win over the a preseason 5th place team in the So Con with our experienced team vying for an NCAA bid is a bit much. Who are you trying to convince yourself, because all that was a tight win over a team that we have more talent and more experience then.

So, I'm happy for the team. But all last night did was spare us the embarrassment of a bad loss. Last night, did nothing for our at large resume, which after 8 games is on life support as is. We need to win out the rest of the OOC to at least have something to hang our hat on with the committee, last night was a good first step in that direction. We have more difficult assignments coming up.

But you can't "take out the stretch from 7:11 to 2:25 in the 2nd half". It's a major portion of the game where we blew all but 2 points of an 18 point lead - a pattern we've seen too consistently in 3 of 4 prior losses.

I'm having trouble following your reasoning. A game is 40 minutes, and you can't whitewash approximately 5 mins to fit your narrative.
UR80 never said he was trying to take out the 5 minute stretch. He was simply complimenting the offense and defense for what he felt like was a good 35 minutes on both ends. Then, fan1 disagreed, and he responded to that by mentioning the 5 minute stretch. He is not hiding anything to fit a narrative. He is the one who mentioned the 5-minute stretch. Geez, forgive him for focusing on what he thought was 35 good minutes instead of five bad minutes. Fan1 disagreed with the 5-minute part, and that's fine. That's his opinion, just like UR80 had his opinion, but why attack UR80 here? That's the problem with this board. Everyone wants to go into attack mode if anything positive is said.

Reactions: UR80sfan
Crazy part, we know Wofford lost Storm to Va Tech. But sounds like they turned over almost there entire starting five?
Yeah, four of five are new. Murphy grad transferred to Tech and Hollowell transferred to Morehead. Jones tore his Achilles a few games ago, so he's out for the season, and Safford lost his starting spot. Larson is the only carryover.

Reactions: nathanw19
Wofford was a good win. But is not a resume leading win. It is a solid road win against the SoCon favorite. We don't want our NCAA chances at the end of the year hanging on our big win being Wofford.

We lost our shot at a key win in Bahamas by losing both there. Now there is not much left on the schedule. We have good games - but nothing great. Our only option now to keep our at-large hopes alive is we must win out the rest of our OOC. That would give us a solid win over Wofford, Northern Iowa, NC State, etc. We enter A10 play at 9-4. Then we must follow that up with a top 3 finish in the A10 - anything worse than that and we are looking at winning the A10 tourney (which I think we can do given our team and some depth we have been using).

Reactions: mojo-spider
A win is a win and we should celebrated as such. That said, trying to spike the football for a road win over the a preseason 5th place team in the So Con with our experienced team vying for an NCAA bid is a bit much. Who are you trying to convince yourself, because all that was a tight win over a team that we have more talent and more experience then.

So, I'm happy for the team. But all last night did was spare us the embarrassment of a bad loss. Last night, did nothing for our at large resume, which after 8 games is on life support as is. We need to win out the rest of the OOC to at least have something to hang our hat on with the committee, last night was a good first step in that direction. We have more difficult assignments coming up.
We actually moved up approximately 10 placing in Kenpom to 64th. We need to get to the low 40s. So a long way to go, but it is a start.

Reactions: nathanw19
Like your statement because you were able to get two definitions of the word "stretch" in one sentence!

I was glad to see Sal have a productive 6 minutes without forcing the action and getting a couple buckets. From the outside, it looked like he could use a confidence boost. Now if we can just get him to do away with the patented Julius Johnson and-1 foul. He's definitely the current team torch-bearer on that one. Foul or don't.

• Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
I was glad to see Sal have a productive 6 minutes without forcing the action and getting a couple buckets. From the outside, it looked like he could use a confidence boost. Now if we can just get him to do away with the patented Julius Johnson and-1 foul. He's definitely the current team torch-bearer on that one. Foul or don't.
Good points. It was nice to see Sal get some minutes and have positive contributions, including a dunk. It had to be a demoralizing start of the season for him, and he bounced back in this game.
My son was watching the game with me and we both cringed on that and one. Hard foul or get out of the way.

Wofford is a dangerous team especially on their court with the largest crowd they have had.
What bothered me with this win was decision making at key times especially by Gilly. We got offensive rebound
with close to a minute left and I believe a 4 or 6 point lead and ball goes out to Gilly with 19 seconds out of 20 on
shot clock. Instead of running clock and maybe going down low he takes and misses a three with no one in lane
for rebound. Isiah Wilson has got to learn to play under control on offense. When driving lane he looks to be so out of control and frequently gives the ball up. Dji is so much smoother attacking the lane and under control.

We actually moved up approximately 10 placing in Kenpom to 64th. We need to get to the low 40s. So a long way to go, but it is a start.
Definitely a start, which is always the first step. Keep on being positive 80sfan. Definitely no fun if everyone is doom and gloom.

Next up Northern Iowa. Haven’t seen them play, but I am certain it will be another close game. Based on the record book, they seem to be playing to the level of their opponent.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
That largest crowd was still only 1,576 announced, but yes, their student section seemed particularly involved.

And yes, Wilson drives me crazy with how many times he leaves his feet with the ball without knowing what he's going to do with it. Combined with his poor shooting across the board, he needs to be much more selective and under control. Recognize that his role is defense, grab a few boards, and let the other guys handle the offense unless absolutely necessary.

They were picked 3rd by the media and 5th by the coaches.

I was surprised when I heard that were picked 5th in SoCon. They seemed to have some really quality players and obviously have a good coach. I would imagine some of that preseason was that they had so much changeover from last year and people didn't know what to expect. Think they probably will compete well in their conference.

I was concerned that Gilyard turned the ball over 7 times. It looked like they scouted him very well. He would drive to the basket and then throw it out to Golden or Grace on the wing. A Wofford player was waiting for the play and caught the ball at least 4 or 5 times.

I was glad to see Sal have a productive 6 minutes without forcing the action and getting a couple buckets.
Definitely saw improvement from Sal in this game which is a good sign. The Spiders need as many interior options as they can get. He made some nice cuts and played much more controlled.

Isiah Wilson has got to learn to play under control on offense. When driving lane he looks to be so out of control and frequently gives the ball up.
I was hoping that the spazzing on offense was just nerves, but it has become apparent that it is not as simple as that. I mentioned in a previous post that in my opinion he needs to lower the energy level when transitioning to offense. Hopefully he is getting the same message as Sal seems to have heeded. On the positive side, Zay hit the one shot he took and it was from 3.

Wofford is a dangerous team especially on their court with the largest crowd they have had.
What bothered me with this win was decision making at key times especially by Gilly. We got offensive rebound
with close to a minute left and I believe a 4 or 6 point lead and ball goes out to Gilly with 19 seconds out of 20 on
shot clock. Instead of running clock and maybe going down low he takes and misses a three with no one in lane
for rebound. Isiah Wilson has got to learn to play under control on offense. When driving lane he looks to be so out of control and frequently gives the ball up. Dji is so much smoother attacking the lane and under control.
With 1 minute left and a 2 or more possession lead I would agree with you, but there were 5 minutes left when Jacob took a quick 3 after a rebound. He was wide open, and has to take that shot with 5 minutes left.

I was concerned that Gilyard turned the ball over 7 times. It looked like they scouted him very well. He would drive to the basket and then throw it out to Golden or Grace on the wing. A Wofford player was waiting for the play and caught the ball at least 4 or 5 times.
Yes, this is an issue. Our guards are not finishers in the lane (Gilly or Zay), so defenses will start playing the pass. Gilyard is a great finisher on the break, seems to shoot an outrageous percentage on reverse layups and finish over taller defenders. Never quite the same ability to finish in the half court, or developed KA type tear drop or floater.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
DJ needs to play more minutes. I would like to see him start in the 2 spot ASAP.
I'm good with the mix and match of Zay and Dji. They both bring attributes that we need, particularly on the defensive end. It will be very interesting to see what happens when Goose is ready.

And I have no doubt Zay will get better on drives with experience--this is an age-old issue for younger point guards.

Reactions: VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT