ADVERTISEMENT

VCU tix

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL

Dear Spider Season Ticketholder:

Last year, we offered Spider Fans tickets to our home VCU game prior to the general public sale. As you know, we sold out the Robins Center prior to the general public sale and fans turned out UNITED IN RED! It was one of the greatest environments in the history of the storied Robins Center!

Let’s do it again. This year we are again offering tickets to Spider Fans for the VCU game prior to the general public sale. As a special benefit to season ticket holders, we are offering you the opportunity to purchase additional tickets to the VCU game for only $30 per ticket—that is a $15 per ticket discount! If we do not sell out the Robins Center for the VCU game by Monday, October 19, we will put tickets on sale to the general public for $45 per ticket. This could potentially result in VCU fans purchasing tickets to our home game. Purchase your additional VCU tickets today to help make the Robins Center #UnitedInRed.

We want to see you at the Robins Center wearing RED and making it rock “just like Cameron”!

To order your tickets, call the Robins Center Ticket Office at 1-877-SPIDER-1 and provide your account number. Please note, tickets will not be sold to anyone other than the customer associated with the account number listed above. Call now to get your tickets!

We appreciate your support of Spider Athletics! We are One Richmond, United in Red!

Enjoyed seeing the highlights again.

Interesting to note that this video shows the exact formula for Spider success for the upcoming year. Allen & Cline effectively working on the inside, Cline occasionally from the outside, and Shawndre Jones bombing away for 3 while playing the # 2 guard. Of course, last year Kendal Anthony added his special threat to the mix.

The challenge for the coaching staff this year is to accurately assess whether they have enough outside firepower from the newcomers (which allows S. Jones to concentrate on ball handling and set-up duties), OR, do they have a newcomer who will be successful by having the ball a lot, thus allowing S. Jones to fire away from the # 2 spot? In my opinion, the decisions made in this area are the crux of the season.

I strongly suspect that Mooney will not turn the ball over to a freshman. Thus, if Spider fans are going to be happy, it is most likely that a newcomer(s) will need to step up and become that consistent shooter/scorer from the outside. Though each can be effective within a role, neither Davis, Taylor, nor Josh Jones have shown the ability to get a team to the promised land with them occupying a prominent position.

Repeat, repeat, repeat ... The highlight video shows the formula for Spider success. Follow the formula and good things can happen. Rely too heavily on this year's projected starting 5, and frustration will be our unwanted companion.

I believe ShawnDre will be counted on to handle, distritbute the ball, AND be a consistent scorer from range. I think he is up to the task. I do agree that we need someone to fill in at that 2 spot and be a consistent threat. Think Kevin Anderson and Brothers back court. Darien was not at star level, but was able to get the job done. Need Josh Jones, Julius, Jesse, etc. someone to step up to be that guy. Trey Davis, someone.

Look at this highlights video of our game against VCU in January, 20013 Look at the freshman contributions of Taylor, Allen, and Alonzo. We've had a number of freshmen play good minutes under CM. But they will have to show what they have in the next six weeks of practice session. There should be stiff competition for minutes to be played.

I believe ShawnDre will be counted on to handle, distritbute the ball, AND be a consistent scorer from range. I think he is up to the task. I do agree that we need someone to fill in at that 2 spot and be a consistent threat. Think Kevin Anderson and Brothers back court. Darien was not at star level, but was able to get the job done. Need Josh Jones, Julius, Jesse, etc. someone to step up to be that guy. Trey Davis, someone.

Brothers was probably the best long-range shooter we have had at Richmond in the Mooney era. He shot over 40% from 3 over his career. He was always a shooting guard and a really good one, luckily he had KA and Ced to run the point when he was here.

We have consistently had really good back courts under Moony:

Gonzo and KA
KA and Brothers/Ced
Brothers and Ced
Ced and K0
K0 and ShawnDre
ShawnDre and ????

KA was an A10 player of the year. Ced was the best player in the A10 his senior year before his injury. K0 was first team all A10, Gonzo was second team all A10, Brothers was 3rd team, ShawnDre was 6th man of the year this past season. We must be the most decorated back court in the A10 over the past 6 or so years. I have to think we will continue the tradition and at least one of the freshmen will be a great back court player this year.

Reactions: SpiderK
Agree Fan. Even though it will be a freshman manning the other guard spot, history dictates that we should have a good back court mate besides SDJ. The most interesting thing is it could be really any of the freshman, Khwan, Julius, or Jesse. If it's Khwan, that would mean SDJ would play more at the 2, if it's Julius or Jesse, I think SDJ would be running more PG.

And yes, I know Trey is going to probably be our starting 2 guard to begin the season, but I just don't see him ending the season in the capacity.

I like Trey at the 3. He's a good ball handler for that position. He's not a traditional 2, but we can get away with it because we have shooting from other non-traditional positions.

In the past, we have had success with both KA and Ced handling the point, and putting up big scoring numbers. It can be done, and SDJ will be counted on to handle the point, set up teammates, AND score 12 to 13 ppg. I would expect the "Texas Trio" of SDJ, TA, and TJC to contribute at least 40 ppg average between the three of them if we are going to be an NCAA team this year.

In the past, we have had success with both KA and Ced handling the point, and putting up big scoring numbers. It can be done, and SDJ will be counted on to handle the point, set up teammates, AND score 12 to 13 ppg. I would expect the "Texas Trio" of SDJ, TA, and TJC to contribute at least 40 ppg average between the three of them if we are going to be an NCAA team this year.

Considering they averaged a combined 35 points in 83 minutes last year they will probably put up more than 40 points a game this year (I think they will play close to 100 minutes combined).

Don't know the exact date, official practice starts, but I assume it's just days away. Hope some of the locals give us some reports. We have tons of talent returning, but still real questions about who performs what roles. Optimistic as always, and hoping that I'm not as optimistic as I should be.

Fan1,
Doing drills now, looking good
A burning question is, "Of the freshmen, who is the best shooter?" All were recruited as shooters and had exemplary high school careers as such. Please pass on what you find out. Thanks!!!

to early to tell I would say Pistol at this point

I agree. I watched a practice last week. Jesse didn't miss a shot that I recall. He's also very quick and a great passer. Reminds me in looks of Ungerer. Didn't see much concentration on defense in that practice, so can't assess that. We all know that picking up our defensive scheme is key to any of the newcomers getting playing time.

Reactions: Spiderfan1980
Just got 4 . . . even priority (lower) ones are still available in various sections. Need everyone to pick up at least 1 or 2 cause it was so great walking into RC that game and seeing RED.

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT