ADVERTISEMENT

VCU, Dayton, Davidson

fatherspider

Team Manager
Feb 9, 2013
We beat VCU Dayton and Davidson on three consecutive days. That is impressive, we all agree.

It boggles my mind that after that feat, the “experts” are showing the Spiders zero respect. Its as if the 3 teams we just beat are from the CAA.

VCU was clearly on the bubble before we beat them, Dayton was in before we beat them, and DC is a 10 seed even after we beat them. The disrespect really is not justified when you look at that. Thinking we dont have a realistic chance to beat Iowa is irrational when you realize the three teams we just beat.

If VCU, Dayton, or Davidson were playing Iowa tomorrow, a decent number of experts would think there was a reasonable chance for the upset. And the spread would be half what it is now., yet we just beat all three, and the concensus is that we have no chance. Stupid.

Besides Purdue, the teams Iowa beat in BIG10 tourney are very comparable to the teams we beat. Rutgers and Indiana were two of the last teams in the tournament.

We may get blown out but the very recent history represents that the two teams are playing at a similar level and the premise that this is a total mismatch is far off base.

We beat VCU Dayton and Davidson on three consecutive days. That is impressive, we all agree.

It boggles my mind that after that feat, the “experts” are showing the Spiders zero respect. Its as if the 3 teams we just beat are from the CAA.

VCU was clearly on the bubble before we beat them, Dayton was in before we beat them, and DC is a 10 seed even after we beat them. The disrespect really is not justified when you look at that. Thinking we dont have a realistic chance to beat Iowa is irrational when you realize the three teams we just beat.

If VCU, Dayton, or Davidson were playing Iowa tomorrow, a decent number of experts would think there was a reasonable chance for the upset. And the spread would be half what it is now., yet we just beat all three, and the concensus is that we have no chance. Stupid.

Besides Purdue, the teams Iowa beat in BIG10 tourney are very comparable to the teams we beat. Rutgers and Indiana were two of the last teams in the tournament.

We may get blown out but the very recent history represents that the two teams are playing at a similar level and the premise that this is a total mismatch is far off base.
Bulletin Board Material, this is personal for us. We mus summon the ancestors of our past teams of the 80s when we consistently were underrated and rosed to the occasion as Giant Killers one more time. Let’s show them what we are made of. We may not have been named to any All American Teams but boy, we are All Americans in the minds of Spidernation !

Reactions: urfan1
Yeah, agree with you Greg. But I don't think folks from the 80s are quite ready to be classified as "ancestors" yet....

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan

All good points. Iowa obviously can score in bunches, and I'm not exactly sure why some of those Big 10 teams allowed the pace of their games to be such that the Hawkeyes could put up 90 and 100+ points, but I know that we won't let that happen. I view Iowa as Davidson with better athletes. Their offensive abilities are very similar.

Indiana and Rutgers definitely gave Iowa some problems, and Rutgers lost to a mediocre Notre Dame team last night while Indiana won because Wyoming had a horrific game. Unless we completely shrink in the moment, I see this as a game that should be competitive.

We need to hope that Murray is off a bit and that their threes aren't falling the way they normally do. Keep them right around 10 for the game and make 7+ ourselves and I think this goes down to the wire.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders

We lost to St. Joe's, iowa didn't.

The reason the spread is so big is because Iowa is seated wrong. Many people view them as a 1 or 2 making it to the final 4. Their NET is 14, but they have been player better since half way through the Big Ten season. I wonder if the NCAA committee seeded them and potential others before the big ten tournament started. They probably don't have time to do it Sunday afternoon. Against other 5 seeds the spread would have been much tighter.

Any way, this is going to be a big upset for U of R.

I don't feel it's disrespect. we didn't have a good enough regular season to be seeded higher. Iowa is playing very well. even though we finished strong, so did they. most unbiased observers will give them the edge. no big deal. now we play the game.

I don't feel it's disrespect. we didn't have a good enough regular season to be seeded higher. Iowa is playing very well. even though we finished strong, so did they. most unbiased observers will give them the edge. no big deal. now we play the game.
All season long we had opportunities to get marquee wins and fumbled them. The committee wasn't going to hand us a 7 or 8 seed because we looked good for one weekend. Hell, Davidson who was the frontrunner and easily in the tournament all year only pulled a 10 seed. I am more concerned with Iowa being underseeded than anything about our own seeding.

This. I don't think UR is being disrespected, but fans and even coaches and players can find disrespect in anything to use as a motivational tool. It's Vegas setting the line and all they want to do is make money ... no sinister ulterior motives ;-). I wouldn't be shocked if UR upset Iowa ... surprised yes, shocked no ... like many of you guys have been saying, it happens all the time! I do feel this Iowa team has the right attitude and is locked in though.

Last edited:
Sorry man, that was a typo LOL, we had just played Rutgers recently and they were on the brain. UR, UR, UR I say ... fixed it.
They are just touchy because a football rival says it intentionally...

Don't have time to clean this up but..
Kenpom and spread of the games 5 points or more today

KPPts KP
1​
1 gon23.0Ga St
150​
6​
1 kan21.5tx so
183​
4​
1 bay20.5nor
168​
3​
2 ky18.0pet
117​
7​
3 ten18.0long
140​
8​
4 ucla13.5akron
134​
13​
5 iowa10.5ur
84​
18​
5 Uconn6.5NM St
82​

Last edited:
Reactions: gospidersgo
Don't see why the seeding and the so-called disrespect have so many baffled. If one analyzes the overall body of work, the talk and the seedings are right on point. Read this board for the past 4-months and it becomes apparent that we would have agreed with the buzz until last weekend.

The season results for the Spiders were mediocre at best. The team looked some better in the A-10 tournament, but prior to that, not so much. This comment is not to diminish enthusiasm for the NCAA opportunity, because following a 11-year drought, the positive feeling (and hope) should be up. We have every right to celebrate, and we should.

But, hopefulness does not change reality. Anything can happen in 1-game, especially in the NCAA tournament. So, can the Spiders win today, YES, the Spiders could ride a spectacular performance to victory. Is it likely that the Spiders will win based on the totality of the season (both teams), NO.

Bottom line, I'll hope and cheer for a victory, but I'm not going to be shocked, or surprised by a loss.

Last edited:
The reason the spread is so big is because Iowa is seated wrong. Many people view them as a 1 or 2 making it to the final 4. Their NET is 14, but they have been player better since half way through the Big Ten season. I wonder if the NCAA committee seeded them and potential others before the big ten tournament started. They probably don't have time to do it Sunday afternoon. Against other 5 seeds the spread would have been much tighter.

Any way, this is going to be a big upset for U of R.
The spread would probably be 15 against Houston (5 seed), but would only be 3 or 4 against Providence (4 seed in our region).

Bulletin Board Material, this is personal for us. We mus summon the ancestors of our past teams of the 80s when we consistently were underrated and rosed to the occasion as Giant Killers one more time. Let’s show them what we are made of. We may not have been named to any All American Teams but boy, we are All Americans in the minds of Spidernation !
Sacrifice a chicken to Jobu to summon the ancestors of Giant Killer teams of the past!

Don't see why the seeding and the so-called disrespect have so many baffled. If one analyzes the overall body of work, the talk and the seedings are right on point. Read this board for the past 4-months and it becomes apparent that we would have agreed with the buzz until last weekend.

The season results for the Spiders were mediocre at best. The team looked some better in the A-10 tournament, but prior to that, not so much. This comment is not to diminish enthusiasm for the NCAA opportunity, because following a 11-year drought, the positive feeling (and hope) should be up. We have every right to celebrate, and we should.

But, hopefulness does not change reality. Anything can happen in 1-game, especially in the NCAA tournament. So, can the Spiders win today, YES, the Spiders could ride a spectacular performance to victory. Is it likely that the Spiders will win based on the totality of the season (both teams), NO.

Bottom line, I'll hope and cheer for a victory, but I'm not going to be shocked, or surprised by a loss.
I agree. Seeding is not an issue with me at all. A 12 was lower than I thought it would be. Overall body of work is most important in seeding but who you beat or lost to in Nov. Dec. shouldn't influence your evaluation of a game played in mid March. My point in the post is that comparing what these two teams have accomplished over the past week is very comparable. And if Dayton or Vcu were playing the spiders today, more than 1/20 analysts would be thinking they have a decent chance to win, yet we beat them both.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
The spread would probably be 15 against Houston (5 seed), but would only be 3 or 4 against Providence (4 seed in our region).
Will only be… ;)

Although the Jackrabbits are holding through a quarter...

Last edited:
All good points. Iowa obviously can score in bunches, and I'm not exactly sure why some of those Big 10 teams allowed the pace of their games to be such that the Hawkeyes could put up 90 and 100+ points, but I know that we won't let that happen. I view Iowa as Davidson with better athletes. Their offensive abilities are very similar.

Indiana and Rutgers definitely gave Iowa some problems, and Rutgers lost to a mediocre Notre Dame team last night while Indiana won because Wyoming had a horrific game. Unless we completely shrink in the moment, I see this as a game that should be competitive.

We need to hope that Murray is off a bit and that their threes aren't falling the way they normally do. Keep them right around 10 for the game and make 7+ ourselves and I think this goes down to the wire.
I personally hope we make the first option low post play on ever possession. They are not a huge team and don't have a true center. It will also limit their fb potential off of long rebounds.

Reactions: whampas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT