ADVERTISEMENT

UR vs. Elon In-game Thread

"How does 20 points equate to 4 tds?"

The last I saw it was 30-3 with less than two minutes left. Sorry I overlooked a meaningless window-dressing TD.

We blew them out, as we should have, on the road with a backup QB. Nobody plays a perfect FB game and if people are going to be disappointed by 20-point wins they will be disappointed almost every week.

Has everyone just realized that there was a reason that Rocco was the backup? Strauss is one of the best at this level. There is going to be a dropoff. It shouldn't be a surprise. Now - we should still have enough talent to make it to the playoffs. If we don't make the playoffs again, it may be time to look another direction at the top before long. 24 field playoff - we should make it at least once every 3-4 years.

"P.S. Rocco is not a backup quarterback, he is #1 and will be the rest of the way."

Yes, he is the starter now. That's splitting hairs. He was the backup QB and being promoted to starter doesn't change his talent level, although I suspect he will improve with more playing time.

This post was edited on 10/25 7:04 PM by BeavCowboy

We are the most incompetent team that put up 499 yards and held its opponent to under 150 yards that I've ever seen.

"We need to play better to beat Villanova". We'll yeah, we just beat up the team in last place and are readying ourselves for the first place team. Oy.

6-2 is about where we reasonably would expect to be. The loss in the last minute to UNH was a blow, but in a game that we knew would be close. The season remaining is what the team wants it to be.

Believe we are the favorite over everyone left except Villanova even without starting QB and best receiver. We can beat Villanova, but I agree with some prior posts- the O needs to be crisper on a consistent basis...and I pray our special teams don't blow it. I normally don't call out anyone, let alone coaches, but our special teams have been average at best for the past few years. Special teams scare the hell out of me in close games and I'm not putting that on the players.

Originally posted by BeavCowboy:

Once again we win by four TDs, with a backup QB. The sky is falling.
We didn't even score 4 TDs, let alone win by that margin. It is possible to win back to back weeks by 37 and 20 and not look great, which is what we did.

When I saw the score, we were up 27 points with about one minute to play. Twenty-seven points is four touchdowns (plus change).

Not every airplane flight is smooth, or perfect, or even always on time, but I don't lose sight of what is by far the most important thing, that the airplane lands safely. Same thing with sports. Teams might not always play well, and they will make mistakes, but the most important factor, which trumps everything else by a wide, wide margin, is winning the game.

The last two weeks we have landed safely by a combined 57 points, with our backup quarterback. Tough to argue with those kind of results.

We are 6-2, won 4 in a row, 3 on the road. Biggest game of the year is on Saturday, let's stop the bitching and rally behind this team. It's not always perfect but they are getting it done right now.

The Villanova 3rd's would beat the Elon team we played today.Thank the scheduling gods that we just had URI and Elon in back-to-back weekends.Both those teams together are 1-15.Our offense will need to improve dramatically between now and noon next Saturday.We are NOT sharp.Penalties,Picks continue, otherwise our punter will be extremely busy.Nova Robertson's athleticism is unmatched as compared to any opposition QB we faced to date.We better be on our toes defensively.Our DB 's were called a few times today for interference from throws by a mediocre QB.Robertson is a master in the pocket,whether he is passing or using it as his running launch pad.Our 2 week vacation of playing lightweights is over.

This post was edited on 10/25 8:38 PM by 32counter

^^What's their D all about? I heard Bob say on postgame that they had the worst pass D in the CAA.

They allowed a pretty modest Indian O to march up and down the field against them last week and they gave up 3 td's to Morgan State in the first half today.

This is going to be a very tough game because Robertson is a hell of a player. But they aren't the 85 Bears.

32, I'm with you. We have only played two teams with talent as good or better than Villanova and we lost to both. Celebrating the win today, ecstatic over the last two wins on the road (against teams that are 1-15), but if we play the same as in those two games, we don't beat Nova unless they help us with TOs. Time to step it up in November and the drive to the playoffs. The Spiders are capable.

Oops! One of those "road" games was at home.

This post was edited on 10/25 9:17 PM by KESpider

If the Spiders are going to make the playoffs, got to do better at QB. I thought Porter Abell was a bright spot today. And more touches for down-hill runner Hamlin and Brian Brown.

I think the reason for the negativity is that we expected a lot out of this team and even though we won the last two weeks it is obvious that Rocco is not the same QB that Strauss is. But the rest of the team is coming around and hopefully they can carry us.

have to remember that MR has not played in what, two years? he is going to have some rust and take some time to get to 100%. don't think we have been running our entire offense, one, because of him and two, because we did not have to do so. against nova, we hold nothing back, we bring it all, a must win. who knows, they may just be better than us, maybe not. they will bring their A game for us and we had better bring ours for them.

Put Strauss in the coaching box next weekend.He will see the field and be of assistance to young Rocco next weekend.Does Streeter operate from the coaches box?

1 game of rust maybe. 2nd game of it not acceptable. Hearing the excuses made on this board is tiring. Strauss came in with guns blazing 2 years ago when Laub got hurt. We should expect no less from any other backup QB. Also up to Streeter to call a game that showcases MR's strengths and find the O's identity once again coming down the stretch of this season. And have to agree that Abell is a bright spot and creates confusion for a D.

Rocco, 21 of 33 for 293 yards. We dominated from the opening kick.

14 yards per pass completion, about 9 yards per attempt, which is the true measure of efficiency

We even threw 2 passes to the tight end

And we're complaining about? MM, I agree with you.

In the words of a famous TV Commentator, you play to win the game.....

"not acceptable", hilarious. making no excuses at all, am not one of the complainers, whiners, sky is falling, could coach better than him, posters here. we are in position to get where we want to go, are we good enough, don't know, will have to play out and see and am sure the coaches and players know where they are and will do all they can to accomplish goals. teams don't always reach goals so we have nothing in the bag, are not anointed.

Some of you guys amaze me. Thread started about us possibly coming out flat. We come out with Coach telling players out of the locker room to start fast. We take kickoff and score quick running touchdown on the 4th play 1:39 into game. Then score on FG to go up 10 nothing. Knock out opposing QB with great pass rush that continues with sacks and hurries all day. Bumps in the road periodically throughout game but leading 30 to 3 by mid 4th quarter. Play mostly subs rest of way and give up a last minute TD with all second string D in game. Yes, this was an inferior team but our guys did respond and won comfortably as they should have while playing very vanilla game plan. Yes, we will need to play better but have taken care of business the last two weeks. I hope most of you do realize we have definitely not shown some things against the last two opponents scheme-wise that will be unveiled on Saturday.

The real test now comes Saturday for players, coaches and fans. We will all need to be at our best. I hope some of you guys will show the same passion and be at the game with friends to support this team so next Sunday you can all complain and point out all the negatives in yet another win.

For my glass half full brethren some positives from yesterday:

Evan Kelly and Winston Craig dominated in the interior of the D-Line and Craig is getting better each week.
Brandon Waller gives a great push on the outside to compliment Justin Williams who has done this all year.
Yoder continues to be solid and take out the Liberty game, would be considered an All-Conference Kicker at this point
Running game good for most part with Green and Hamlin showing vision to find holes.
Porter Abell is becoming a weapon that opposing teams must put in gameplan
TE's involved in passing game
Rocco distributing ball with bunch of guys catching passes
Spirited crowd supporting team
Win for the 10th times out of last 12 games

"The real test now comes Saturday for players, coaches and fans. We will all need to be at our best. I hope some of you guys will show the same passion and be at the game with friends to support this team so next Sunday you can all complain and point out all the negatives in yet another win. "

Purchased 26 tickets in July for this matchup on top of already purchased season tickets.Will be there with all UR supporters.Early tailgate and noon kick along with high 40's temp will make for perfect football weather.Just call it with a critical eye.

Completely agree. Was at the game. I honestly thought Elon was much worse than Rhode Island was. UR scored 10 points the entire 2nd half against this inept team. What are we going to do against a top 5 team when we struggle against a team that I think some high schools could beat? UR should have beat this team 80-0 and to only win 30-10????? We had to settle for 3 fg's because our offense could not finish the drives against a defense that was without a doubt the worst I've seen all year. Trouble will be lurking ahead in November if things don't get turned around NOW!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT