ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Residence Halls renaming & Paul Queally

The argument that if you don't like something about a school, a business, a country, etc. you should "just leave" is really a small-minded one. It suggests that nothing should ever change anywhere, and that someone is wrong for even suggesting as much. Is that really the message we want to convey? I hope not.

It's ok to disagree about many things, but muzzling the ability of someone else to even disagree in the first place is authoritarian at best and something much worse at worst.

There's a difference between anarchist, hissy-fit mob behavior vs positively influencing change. If you don't like something, work hard to influence the decision makers in a constructive manner. Sometimes the decision will go in your favor, sometimes it won't. The BoT made a decision. It was my understanding Pres Crutcher agreed with the decision. That outraged some. A sign with Queally's name on it was spray painted. Then Robin's statue was defaced. Might have been one individual, or a group of individuals involved. There's no place within the UR community for that type of temper tantrum behavior.

So yes, it does warrant a "just leave" mindset.

I just can't help but look at all the articles and links on the front page of The Collegian and wonder if young people smile about anything any more.

The Collegian used to be something that you picked up after lunch on Thursday and you found stuff that made you laugh.

There's a difference between anarchist, hissy-fit mob behavior vs positively influencing change. If you don't like something, work hard to influence the decision makers in a constructive manner. Sometimes the decision will go in your favor, sometimes it won't. The BoT made a decision. It was my understanding Pres Crutcher agreed with the decision. That outraged some. A sign with Queally's name on it was spray painted. Then Robin's statue was defaced. Might have been one individual, or a group of individuals involved. There's no place within the UR community for that type of temper tantrum behavior.

So yes, it does warrant a "just leave" mindset.
It was wrong to deface things, I think we can agree on that. But don't let the actions of a few define everyone who holds a certain belief. The majority of people who want the names changed in this case did not deface anything.

It was also wrong of the most notable benefactor of the university to refer to white students as "regular" students. Like it or not, that's going to cause some pretty significant pushback and anger.

It's not difficult for people to draw the parallel between "just leave" and "go back where you came from" if they want to. Just be aware of that.

Last edited:
It was wrong to deface things, I think we can agree on that. But don't let the actions of a few define everyone who holds a certain belief. The majority of people who want the names changed in this case did not deface anything.

It was also wrong of the most notable benefactor of the university to refer to white students as "regular" students. Like it or not, that's going to cause some pretty significant pushback and anger.

It's not difficult for people to draw the parallel between "just leave" and "go back where you camr from" if they want to. Just be aware of that.
...”The majority of people who want the names changed in this case did not deface anything...”

Are you an expert in adolescent Psychiatry or is this unfounded conjecture?

Reactions: Spiderfan1980
There are hundreds of people who want the names changed. I'm guessing that they didn't all go down and spray paint signs as a group.

Reactions: KWeaver
Did none of these kids research this stuff that offends them so badly before deciding to apply, choosing to attend, and having mom & dad drop the cost of a Tesla?

I've seen that argument a lot, and it's not a good one, frankly. No one researches the namesakes of buildings at universities they might attend.

This is how life works – you go to a college, you start a job, you volunteer with an organization, etc...you learn more about it, and sometimes you find some issues that you believe could be improved or addressed. That's what is happening here. If the names don't change and some students are bothered enoguh by that, I expect that they will leave, as is their right. But I suspect that most of these kids really like UR and don't want to leave – but do want to make it better.

I understand that when people complain about things, it's very easy to just say "Too bad – leave if it bothers you that much!" But that's how a child responds.

I'm curious how they will engage their constituency on this, are they going to take a poll? Who knows what the split would be. Presumably they already engaged constituencies originally, not to the extent they claim now, but with that extensive background report and justification they gave I don't think it was all Crutcher and Queally getting together in a room.

Now personally I would have changed these particular names it made most sense and my guess is there would have been support and u move on. But I'm also confident if you start getting into things like the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial it would have very very little support. That is not UR specific but what if there is a huge push to change the University name entirely. Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy, it's not inconceivable. And that would be a non starter.

Place yourself in Berlin pre-1990 and think about which side advocated that nothing comes down nor is any graffiti ever permitted.

So we should celebrate graffiti? What is your address? The "artists" are seeking new places to deface or you may consider it as "expression" if that is your preference.

The way I read your post on the alumni magazine cover was that UR got what it deserved. I wanted to simply point out that there can be a different perspective to the absolute that graffiti is always wrong (and also that the US has published tons of photos of the Berlin Wall...I don’t think means it would be justifiable to graffiti all US buildings). you obviously read my point differently...that’s fine. I may have read your message different than you intended. Believe I made it clear earlier that I didn’t condone the recent graffiti at UR.

I also don’t think it has to be in conflict with recognizing that people may feel differently about Robins. Yes, he gave tons to UR and from what can be inferred, from a genuine interest in helping. That doesn’t mean he didn’t also harm a lot of people. I’ll admit I didn’t know the story until my class at UR where we reviewed it as a case study. And I’ve given decent money to have my family name included on a brick at Robins Stadium...does that make me a hypocrite? Some may say yes. That’s fine. I personally put him in the more good than bad category but I’m willing to listen if someone shares new information.

and for what it’s worth. Blue paint over Queallys name, if you want to really discourage that behavior, have the students eat lunch with PQ. Either they’ll realize he’s a real person and has some positives or they’ll be scared off from having to spend more time with him if he acts like a complete ^#*>. Similarly maybe PQ will learn something as well about those he doesn’t consider “regular students” (making an assumption the paint over his name wasn’t from one of his kids friends)

If they change the names, it becomes a forgotten footnote in history.
If there were a plaque or signage, it would show how far as a community
we have come.
But, let’s not be logical

we have come.
Why not the reverse? Change the name but leave a plaque/signage indicating the previous name, their positive accomplishments, and why/when the name was changed?

Why not the reverse? Change the name but leave a plaque/signage indicating the previous name, their positive accomplishments, and why/when the name was changed?
I think this makes sense.

If it were called Hitler Hall, keeping it named that way but putting up a sign that said "Hitler hated Jews and killed hundreds of thousands of them" probably wouldn't be the best approach to rectify things. (And before anyone jumps on me for false equivalency, I get it... I'm just giving an extreme example to illustrate the concept more clearly.)

I’m not sure it would carry the same weight as recognizing how far we’ve come.
I live in John Smith Hall , but see the plaque?
I‘m not opposed to your suggestion, I’m just thinking of a way to make it more impactful.
We’re both on the same page- just coming at it from different directions.
All I know is destruction of property only demeans the purpose for protest.

Reactions: nathanw19
I'm curious how they will engage their constituency on this, are they going to take a poll? Who knows what the split would be. Presumably they already engaged constituencies originally, not to the extent they claim now, but with that extensive background report and justification they gave I don't think it was all Crutcher and Queally getting together in a room.

Now personally I would have changed these particular names it made most sense and my guess is there would have been support and u move on. But I'm also confident if you start getting into things like the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial it would have very very little support. That is not UR specific but what if there is a huge push to change the University name entirely. Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy, it's not inconceivable. And that would be a non starter.

It’s completely inconceivable.

we have come.

Change the names and add a plaque explaining that it was formerly known as X but given the support for eugenics we decided that we don’t want that represented here. Explain the process. Mention the good things they did for the university too. That’s fine. But don’t glorify these a-holes.

I see some of these arguments have been brought up. But there is so much whataboutism going on here, and “what if” examples that are not at all plausible.

Frankly, I am glad I have learned that Freeman and Ryland were awful human beings who did a couple decent things in their life. I’d prefer to swing over to those who were good human beings who may have done something not great (certainly not to the extent of owning/selling people or trying to erase an entire race) at some point in their life. There are plenty of less imperfect people out there who should be celebrated more. Or stop naming these buildings after people - particularly those who keep buying their name onto buildings while embarrassing the hell out of the university every time he opens his freaking mouth.

K our County changed positions about 20 years ago, stated all schools would be named after some geographic location or similar -- no people

I'm always surprised when buildings or schools are named for people still alive. Tricky enough naming them for dead people, but people who are still alive have the chance to do something stupid that then creates some awkward situations. Seen that happen a few times before.

Simple solution - if you change the names, change all names on every building and no more names after people. Cause where do you draw the line in the sand. I mean Robins has his name on many buildings, but do we need to explain his company made the Dalkon Shield that killed 20 woman and brought lawsuits from over 300,000 more? If you look hard enough, you will find something negative in everyone's background - so take it out of play and don't use people's names on buildings. OR - do what the University said they would do. Leave it be. And be sure to explain the history, both good and bad behind these people and buildings. And if kids don't like it - go find another school. You chose this school and probably knew nothing about these people or buildings at the time, but now that someone has informed you - your whole perception has changed? Sounds like protesting just for something to do.

It’s completely inconceivable.

never say never.

point is I think there is appetite for “less important” renaming but not bigger ones. Look at Johns Hopkins. No name change but if his name was only on a dorm it’s a different decision I bet. Not sure that is right.

With George Washington u have the nations capital u have a whole state u have the 1 dollar bill just to start w the biggies. I’m a little biased having grown up on what was his estate & thus being a very very amateur Washington historian. He is often hailed as the nations first progressive. Only 1 of 9 Presidents to free slaves. But he was a slaveholder and didn’t do it until his death tho he had known reservations on slavery amidst dealing w formation of a country. He didn’t have the IQ of Jefferson but hands down better leader and no comparison to Jefferson on the slavery issue. For a landholder in South in the Founding Fathers era he would be seen as progressive.

Again I would have changed the U or R names but if u ask me about Washington for instance I have a different answer. And so would many others. Its not apples to apples exactly but conceptually. maybe I’m in the wrong I’m willing to listen.

Last edited:
A College/University education should expand one's world, expose the individual to people, places, and things they had not been exposed to in their prior life. With most it changes their outlook.

The "purge" of "sinners" has no end..............the "enlightened" who call out the faults of others while ignoring their own forget where that leads......................

Reactions: Spiderfan1980
The "purge" of "sinners" has no end..............the "enlightened" who call out the faults of others while ignoring their own forget where that leads......................

I mean.... eugenics is kind of up there for me!

Perspective is the issue. Every human being over the course of a lifetime engages in a variety of actions. If the individual is well known some of those actions future generations will applaud and some future generations will criticize. Most of us want to leave the world a better place while also acknowledging our imperfections.

A friend told me about this presentation by Ed Ayers. It is about Robert Ryland and addresses much about his life. Judging the past without acknowledging the realities of that time can lead to overharsh criticism and the attempt to erase the good attributes/actions of the individual involved.

https://scholarship.richmond.edu/cg...cle=1131&context=history-faculty-publications

The faculty vote of no confidence for Queally was 87% in favor of it, 9% opposed and 4% abstained. About 82% of the faculty voted. Will be interesting to see if he now resigns his seat.

I’m sure there are some faculty that still aren’t fans after past comments. Not sure how many times you can just attend diversity training to excuse your actions.

and certainly some faculty know Queally after having his 3 kids recently at UR. I’m feeling free to read more into this, but those sort of numbers are beyond bad in a world where seemingly fewer people agree on anything.

Yep, we all know who Queally is by now... He's shown us repeatedly. At some point, we should believe him.

Yes Queally is an extremely generous benefactor who doesn't worry as much about what he says as some others do.

W & L students demand name change:

Calhoun: Gone at Yale, but Not Everywhere:​

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT