ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Residence Halls renaming & Paul Queally

Great mother earth story....gives me an excuse to share about the whacked out English teacher also of advanced age I had in high school who told us she slept an hour a night and watched the little green men at work. Walking down the high school hallway she would zig and zag and tell us, don't step there you will walk on a little green man. Perhaps she was a forerunner to the whackiness of wokeism......................Sure made an impression on me..............as in where in the world do these people come up with such ideas?

I think UVA has it even worse. I beleive they removed the names of several buildings, but said Thomas Jefferson will stay throughout campus - even though he owned hundreds of slaves and even had a relationship with one of them (if not more).

My point is - its hard to say - this name is okay, this name is not. Everyone, especially from that time period in history has something bad in there, or something that is seen as bad today. And probably 100 years from now people will look back on things we took as normal or dealt with and say - that was really bad, that is part of history and part of progress.

Reactions: spider fan
Thomas was the jock dorm in my day. Most of the football team lived there, not sprinkled throughout the campus. Always seemed to have more incidences of broken windows than the other dorms. :)
Jeter Hall had individual leaded glass window panes that an icy snowball could take out so they were constantly being replaced. One of the benefits that we had was maid service for making up our beds and putting on clean sheets. I lived in a room that was over an arched walkway and was great for lobbing snowballs on unsuspecting fellow students that you knew.

Last edited:
Reactions: whampas
I think UVA has it even worse. I beleive they removed the names of several buildings, but said Thomas Jefferson will stay throughout campus - even though he owned hundreds of slaves and even had a relationship with one of them (if not more).

My point is - its hard to say - this name is okay, this name is not. Everyone, especially from that time period in history has something bad in there, or something that is seen as bad today. And probably 100 years from now people will look back on things we took as normal or dealt with and say - that was really bad, that is part of history and part of progress.

Yale is a great example of this...............Elihu Yale was prominent in the slave trade, His name of course remains. Former Vice President John C. Calhoun had his name removed from Calhoun College at Yale because the 1804 Yale graduate was pro-slavery. The picking of which sinners have the most egregious sins and which sinners can have their sins overlooked makes for a fascinating and yes very hypocritical exercise.........................

Great mother earth story....gives me an excuse to share about the whacked out English teacher also of advanced age I had in high school who told us she slept an hour a night and watched the little green men at work. Walking down the high school hallway she would zig and zag and tell us, don't step there you will walk on a little green man. Perhaps she was a forerunner to the whackiness of wokeism......................Sure made an impression on me..............as in where in the world do these people come up with such ideas?
Gosh, us Falcons out in the sticks had no idea you city folks at Homer U had such staid instructors! George Noory would be impressed!

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
bit OT but weren’t Jeter & Thomas dorms more for kids on scholarships or the really smart ones? Maybe that’s why I didn’t hang much in them haha. I might be wrong or just had mistaken impression but in my day those dorms always seemed to have less slots when it came to the dorm picking system after frosh or soph years. Mainly bc I thought allocated already for some students. Of course they were smaller dorms too if I recall so that may have had something to do w it.

The rest of us slummed it in wood Dennis or the granddaddy of them all Marsh!
Lol. Not in my day. Everyone in Jeter section D, was from Virginia from Suffolk, Roanoke, Fishersville, Amherst, Waynesboro, Fairfax, Lynchburg, Salem, Boykins, Fredericksburg and Richmond. It was a different time. FRS would be proud.

Reactions: GKiller
Lol. Not in my day. Everyone in Jeter section D, was from Virginia from Suffolk, Roanoke, Fishersville, Amherst, Waynesboro, Fairfax, Lynchburg, Salem, Boykins, Fredericksburg and Richmond. It was a different time. FRS would be proud.

nice. I’m surprised the “Yankees” from fairfax were allowed ha.

definitely changed in the 90s. Thx to SF for confirming my memory is still ok.

Great new UR is so “woke” Will save lots of donation $$$ going forward. Just received the 50th reunion info, screw’em. Progressive liberal have your day, but not my $$$$.
Me too. Will never give another penny to this woke school until its changes its ways. Sad

All of this is hypocrisy. The greatest damage to minorities was caused by AH Robins' distribution of the Daikon Shield. They caused more than 50,000 African American women to be infertile.
Call me back, when they have the stones to change the name of the Robins Center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT