ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Residence Halls renaming & Paul Queally

"Queally questioned whether the students would want his name removed as well, Corbin, Polcari and Reid said."

Not unfounded...people already questioned years ago whether the admissions building should bear his name. Unsurprisingly self-centered response to student concerns though.

Having personally met PQ a couple of years ago, I can say this article captures my experience fairly well. I’ve never seen someone make an event dedicated to honor someone else all about themselves. I know he’s given a lot of money but it certainly doesn’t seem to be just because he wants the best for UR.

Having personally met PQ a couple of years ago, I can say this article captures my experience fairly well. I’ve never seen someone make an event dedicated to honor someone else all about themselves. I know he’s given a lot of money but it certainly doesn’t seem to be just because he wants the best for UR.

Based on my own personal interaction w PQ I can certainly see him coming off that way too in this meeting. So I won’t dispute he left a bad impression it does not surprise me.

but this is also a nuanced issue. There r thousands upon thousands of buildings & other things that could be renamed across country. What I felt from tenor of article is the issue was migrating from the core one on buildings to being mad that someone (PQ) disagreed with them.

Also Crutcher should probably have been forefront here. He advocated for the buildings staying as is. Big study lot of reports. Publicly with his name behind it. He was most involved. Certainly presidents (or AD’s!) take direction from BOT so idk maybe he did here. But he’s retiring. If in actuality he felt that strongly against it would seem like the absolute perfect timing to take that stand. But given how much we pay our ex-presidents as ex-presidents maybe it was a business decision by Crutcher.

Things continuing to spiral…faculty senate censured Queally in a unanimous voice vote, while the deans have put forth a letter expressing their concerns: “…we believe that without a significant change in course, we are on track to suffer deep injury as a community — injury from which it could take us years to recover.”

When you sell your soul this is what you get.

Exactly.

It is remarkable to me that Queally has had the level of professional success that he has while seemingly lacking any self-awareness. Is he capable of still being a "Philanthropist" but have his wife -whose name nobody can remember because its all about him- be the "front person" with UR? Highly dubious.

Do we think he's given north of $100M to UR? Giving that much but also managing to build no broad-based support among others is pretty remarkable.

On the flipside, how many UR alumni and donors have been turned off over the years because of Queally and how he treats the place like he does his motor club?

This is a real mess.

Last edited:
I'm sure Queally and UR are in a "Just-hang-in-there-for-a-month-until-the-students-go-home-and-this-blows-over" Mode.

where have we seen that before...Chris Mooney...not w students but the similar strategery.

a couple things surprised me. That they’d let PQ be so forefront at this meeting. Just sit in the corner at the meeting & take it in. But he can’t help himself. all of us in limited interaction knows he can be an ass surely UR knows. Crutcher should have run that meeting. He’s outgoing he could take some arrows. He’s African American so it wouldn’t be bunch of old white guys telling them what to do.

Also surprised when they announced not changing the names. It’s two minor buildings in the grand scheme. They are not named in perpetuity. Now I do think it can become a slippery slope (the name of the city and school having been the capital of confederacy could be next idk) & I don’t have those answers. Yet it wasn’t hard to see this blowing up. Very little foresight at Richmond on many things.

The fact that we allowed things to get to this level is stupid. They are buildings. Who cares what they are named? Call them Buildings 1,2 and 3. Does it matter? I don't understand why people need to hold onto these specific names so tightly when it's obvious that they upset a number of students and employees. At a certain point, it looks foolishly and stubbornly defiant for no reason.

Just wondering about governance structure- would he have to be voted by the other trustees to be removed and/or have to resign?

I didn’t know about the history of Rhyland and Freeman, but after learning it, it seems more than reasonable to remove the names from the buildings.

It is not “cancelling” them from Richmond’s history. You can’t, they’ll always be a part of it. It is removing a monument to two people who had terrible stances on race (to say the least).

It also isn’t saying they were 100% terrible people (I personally don’t know, maybe they were, but that’s not removing the name is). Adding “context” to the name but keeping the name isn’t enough. If Richmond wants to add a plaque explaining that it used to be named Rhyland/Freeman, but was changed due to their history (while giving them credit for the positive contributions, go for it). But having monuments to slavers and eugenics supporters on campus is beyond inappropriate.

Very slippery slope................If the names of all "sinners" are removed ...........numbers or letters of alphabet are the go to options.....the "categorization" that your sin is worse than my sin ................has many conundrums/fallacies..................

As way of example very telling that the name of Calhoun had to be removed at Yale but the name of Elihu Yale, a slave trader, was not because he was not an "awful" Southerner................and/or the political will to remove his name does not exist.

Furthermore reticence is a dying virtue in the day when opinions flow like water on social media and elsewhere. But reticence could have served Queally well............you think?

Just my opinion, but sure seems for a school founded as a baptist theological school that some of our donors could benefit from reading the book of Matthew, and ask themselves whether they are giving for the benefit of the school (ie students & faculty) or for their own benefit (ie names on buildings). With that in mind, really doesn’t seem like much of a slippery slope to me.

... ask themselves whether they are giving for the benefit of the school (ie students & faculty) or for their own benefit (ie names on buildings).
This is exactly the issue with Queally. If you think he cares about the names of Ryland or Freeman you’re kidding yourself. He knows that his own history is checkered, and if he lets these buildings have their names changed, “his” buildings might be next. For someone with a massive ego like Paul, I’m sure that’s why he’s so against changing any building names.

Reactions: DTSpider
Backtracking on the previous naming decisions and are going to start over from scratch.

It might just be me thinking this...but UR plays more PR defense than any other school in the country.

one certainly doesn’t have to look far find the irony that for a university with a leadership school that there really seems to be some highly questionable leadership taking place. And that’s not on just this one issue, but there seems to be a “stubbed toe moment” every 6 months or so for at least the past 20 years.

Backtracking on the previous naming decisions and are going to start over from scratch.

Do you know where the long statement is SF? A person on Twitter replied to that U of R tweet with the complete text where Board defended Queally, some of which made the RTD article. So it has to be somewhere but it would be like U of R to be as least transparent as possible.

Reactions: urfan1
Interesting I was told this AM to expect a change on Wednesday, I guess that means the reaction has been strong and negative from all fronts.

Less than 90 days until FY end, would seem it gets harder to get the attention of donors as the weather warms up and the school year is ending?

E. Claiborne Robins statue found with Red Paint and murderer was painted in front of the statue on March 30th.

It seems the list is long.

Are the instances being investigated or just accepted as student protests?
They all seem criminal, but societal norms have been taking a beating by
the woke crowd.

Robins does bear the weight of the success of its ChapStick and Robitussin Products.

UR bears the weight of accepting 2 checks in 1970 from the Robins family-$10 million and $50 million and 10s of millions since then for various infrastructure throughout campus.

Have these kids(many of which are on scholarship provided by the generosity of income from our endowment) take a ride to the various North Carolina(and Virginia) schools that accepted large(I mean really large) donations and grants from the various tobacco companies over the years.Their enormous contributions,which provided for the underpinning to the endowments of these schools,were derived from the packaging of the tobacco leaf which has led to various forms of invasive LUNG CANCER throughout the world for many decades and which have led and continue to lead to early deaths and immeasurable pain and suffering brought on by COPD.

If kids are offended to be here,transfer.Who cares.Let them go to a tobacco school that used decades of indentured slaves in the tobacco leaf growing/harvesting/packaging process of nicotine laced CANCER STICKS.Good luck to them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT