ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler's shooting stroke

brooklyn brownstone

Graduate Assistant
Oct 31, 2007
Interesting that Gilly on the broadcast last night said that Tyler has changed his shooting stroke to try and have a quicker release. I noticed a bit in the first game that it looked like his release was a bit lower and off to the side and mentioned as much in a text thread with Spider friends, but it was kind of slight so I thought I might be imagining it, but Gilly confirmed it last night.

I imagine it was a result of the NBA feedback he got and the somewhat longer windup he had for his catch and shoot jumpers It does seem slight so hopefully not something he needs to work through for weeks to get hot from 3.

Anyone else notice the change?

Didn't notice that but it seems that he needs to slow down and let the game come to him. He appears to be trying to win the game in a single possession. Expectations have sped him up.

Interesting that Gilly on the broadcast last night said that Tyler has changed his shooting stroke to try and have a quicker release. I noticed a bit in the first game that it looked like his release was a bit lower and off to the side and mentioned as much in a text thread with Spider friends, but it was kind of slight so I thought I might be imagining it, but Gilly confirmed it last night.

I imagine it was a result of the NBA feedback he got and the somewhat longer windup he had for his catch and shoot jumpers It does seem slight so hopefully not something he needs to work through for weeks to get hot from 3.

Anyone else notice the change?
Yes, before first game I watched him and it was a big improvement to be sure and his accuracy was noticeably better as well. But come game time he was back to the old Burton...way too many moving pieces and very inconsistent.

I am still scarred from watching Deion Taylor’s sidewinding shots clanging 20 feet off the rim. I am more worried about Tyler’s ball handling than his shot. He shoots fine, but is a streaky shooter. He needs to keep firing away. The kid is grabbing 10 rebounds a game, I would let him shoot all he wants.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Didn't notice that but it seems that he needs to slow down and let the game come to him. He appears to be trying to win the game in a single possession. Expectations have sped him up.
Not sure what you mean. He is only averaging 9 shots a game. Last year he averaged 11. And, he hasn't turned the ball over yet. If anything, he is being unselfish, and he is definitely not going too fast or trying to win the game in a single possession, whatever that means.

Not sure what you mean. He is only averaging 9 shots a game. Last year he averaged 11. And, he hasn't turned the ball over yet. If anything, he is being unselfish, and he is definitely not going too fast or trying to win the game in a single possession, whatever that means.
So somewhat posting with a goal of soliciting some spirited back and forth on my lengthy trip tonight from Boston where we spent the weekend to Charleston (via Atlanta since direct Delta flight was canceled) - excluding our miracle in DC games when Gilly simply was amazing, it is possible that this team is going to handle Tyler's less dominating nights better than last year's team did? I haven't reviewed last year's game stats as I optimally would have before posting this, but if memory serves correctly especially in the our 10-8 reg season, we struggled I think when Tyler wasn't shooting well. Think this team's larger spread of talent may better handle Tyler being a bit off shooting and just being our rebound king and most consistent Spider at the line.

Last edited:
the make up of this team differs so much, it's tough to say this early., it could just be that coaches are actively looking to get new guys established on offense. But I think for the heights we want this team to achieve, we need him at 1st team all league level and then the contributions we have already seen from others as well.

We relied so much on Grant, and then also gave Cayo featured post ups, in addition to Tyler and also Gilyard last year. This year, we've seemed to see a concerted effort to spread things around so far. Both Bigelow and Roche have had 1 game each where they shined, and one that was somewhat forgettable offensively, same for Bailey. They seemed to look far more often for Quinn, even at the points when he wasn't converting. And Nelson has shown he's not afraid to put up shots. Overall, there is more depth, especially if Randolph is also a viable 5-6 ppg guy in 12-14 minutes. But there is no reason Tyler shouldn't have had more looks the first two games, especially the UNI game. At some point you have to just give your best player the ball instead of just running the scheme for a possibly open look (usually by your 4th / 5th option.)

IMO the staff will have to adjust to having a PG who shoots more, in order to get Tyler more looks. Especially when teams have either (or both of) a stalwart defensive big and Quinn/Grace aren't getting good position like they have the first 2 games, or a lockdown defensive guard on Nelson.

the make up of this team differs so much, it's tough to say this early., it could just be that coaches are actively looking to get new guys established on offense. But I think for the heights we want this team to achieve, we need him at 1st team all league level and then the contributions we have already seen from others as well.

We relied so much on Grant, and then also gave Cayo featured post ups, in addition to Tyler and also Gilyard last year. This year, we've seemed to see a concerted effort to spread things around so far. Both Bigelow and Roche have had 1 game each where they shined, and one that was somewhat forgettable offensively, same for Bailey. They seemed to look far more often for Quinn, even at the points when he wasn't converting. And Nelson has shown he's not afraid to put up shots. Overall, there is more depth, especially if Randolph is also a viable 5-6 ppg guy in 12-14 minutes. But there is no reason Tyler shouldn't have had more looks the first two games, especially the UNI game. At some point you have to just give your best player the ball instead of just running the scheme for a possibly open look (usually by your 4th / 5th option.)

IMO the staff will have to adjust to having a PG who shoots more, in order to get Tyler more looks. Especially when teams have either (or both of) a stalwart defensive big and Quinn/Grace aren't getting good position like they have the first 2 games, or a lockdown defensive guard on Nelson.
Well said - Hope Brookyln is coming to the two games in Brooklyn and I'll see you there ... I fully expect Tyler to end up at least at 15 ptg and love the fact that even w/off shooting nights the 1st two games he has played well and lead us on the boards .. Exciting times ahead ...

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
So somewhat posting with a goal of soliciting some spirited back and forth on my lengthy trip tonight from Boston where we spent the weekend to Charleston (via Atlanta since direct Delta flight was canceled) - excluding our miracle in DC games when Gilly simply was amazing, it is possible that this team is going to handle Tyler's less dominating nights better than last year's team did? I haven't reviewed last year's game stats as I optimally would have before posting this, but if memory serves correctly especially in the our 10-8 reg season, we struggled I think when Tyler wasn't shooting well. Think this team's larger spread of talent may better handle Tyler being a bit off shooting and just being our rebound king and most consistent Spider at the line.
67.5 minutes a game from the bench...

A10 - National Rank
10 Duquesne
13 UMass
87 UR
105 Fordham
121 URI

So are we the only team using our bench and winning?

Nothing too dramatic really. We went 4-5 in regular season conference games when Tyler shot below 40% from the field. I think it is way too early to make anything out of this. We played 2 lesser opponents, had comfortable 2nd half leads in both, and Tyler averaged 9 shots and 30 minutes a game. And, he didn't have a bad shooting night last time out. He went 3-6, which is another reason why I was so puzzled by the previous post I commented on. I would think it is safe to say both his minutes a game and shots a game will increase as the season moves along. And, like last year, we have enough talent to handle some bad shooting nights if he has them, but I don't think there is any question that our best bet for winning, and especially beating the real good teams on our schedule, is if Tyler has some big games.

You mentioned less dominant, so if we look at regular season conference games last year where he got single digits, we went 1-3, 12 points or less 3-4, and 6-6 when he scored 15 or less. So, nothing too dramatic there either.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Well said - Hope Brookyln is coming to the two games in Brooklyn and I'll see you there ... I fully expect Tyler to end up at least at 15 ptg and love the fact that even w/off shooting nights the 1st two games he has played well and lead us on the boards .. Exciting times ahead ...
Just to add again, he did not have a bad shooting night against UNI. He was 3-6. I only say this because I don't think we need to see a bunch of "what's wrong with Tyler" posts early this year when it looks to me like he is being unselfish and letting others get comfortable and used to things. I agree with your 15+ PPG, and also think he has played well (0 turnovers) and been dominant on the boards. And, agree that we have exciting times ahead.

Just to add again, he did not have a bad shooting night against UNI. He was 3-6. I only say this because I don't think we need to see a bunch of "what's wrong with Tyler" posts early this year when it looks to me like he is being unselfish and letting others get comfortable and used to things. I agree with your 15+ PPG, and also think he has played well (0 turnovers) and been dominant on the boards. And, agree that we have exciting times ahead.
... nothing wrong with Tyler. This is the same Tyler we've seen for years now, but no Gilly, Cayo, Grant to shoulder the heavy offensive load. He's the center of attention now for every team's defense until someone else proves to be a consistent offensive threat.
When / If someone else becomes a consistent offensive threat is when the discussion should begin about Tyler being 1st team All A10. My prediction is second team all A10 (at best) based mostly on his rebounding and simply the fact that he's been touted as the best player we have...

My prediction is second team all A10 (at best) based mostly on his rebounding and simply the fact that he's been touted as the best player we have...

Seems like an overreaction to me. We've played 2 games which were 2 comfortable wins where we didn't need Tyler to score 20+ points. I do think we've seen him dribble too much at times and it would be nice to see his shooting percentage higher. But we have a big sample size from the last few years to say that he's one of the elite players in the A10.

Seems like an overreaction to me. We've played 2 games which were 2 comfortable wins where we didn't need Tyler to score 20+ points. I do think we've seen him dribble too much at times and it would be nice to see his shooting percentage higher. But we have a big sample size from the last few years to say that he's one of the elite players in the A10.
That's why I said prediction... You're allowed to make one too ya know.
But if you think I'm overreacting you must think hes a lock for 1st team yes?
You certainly could be right, but unless he is without-a-doubt a Top 5 player in the league alot if those awards are loosely tied to the success of the team as a whole. If we finish as a Top 5 team I think he'll be in line for 1st team as that success probably came from his strong performances. Too many things have to go right for him to be 1st team. I don't see that happening so thats my easy and early prediction.

That sample size you refer to was really an entirely different team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT