ADVERTISEMENT

Trent Noah - 2024 Offer

I can see that world. It's a matter of just opening that NIL venmo (almost wrote checkbook bc I'm old.)

This is a spot where I don't think we were a stretch. Yes the allure of the SEC can be something but we're not talking about Kentucky, or even Tennessee or Florida. S. Carolina - meh. We can win that. I think NIL can def. help us in such situations. But I don't know what the Richmond NIL plan is - existing players primarily, etc. - so no idea how it's being utilized.

I don't think the Richmond NIL should think that a guy's a stretch so don't offer big. You have to start somewhere, somehow.

I'm assuming our NIL coffers are not comparable to a P5.
we have 3,000 undergrads. and I bet a handful of alumni are currently actually involved in funding our NIL.

a school like SC has 9 times our undergrads. every year they add 24,000 more alumni than we do.
we're not going to outbid P5s. that math doesn't work.

and forget the money. to be realistic ... without the red and blue blinders, I'm choosing SEC, ACC, etc over the A10 every day of the week if I believe I can play there. it's not always a mistake to go to the highest level. AD Vassallo put up 1800 points at Va Tech. maybe Noah is that guy.

Reactions: Zeeter and VT4700
I'm assuming our NIL coffers are not comparable to a P5.
we have 3,000 undergrads. and I bet a handful of alumni are currently actually involved in funding our NIL.

a school like SC has 9 times our undergrads. every year they add 24,000 more alumni than we do.
we're not going to outbid P5s. that math doesn't work.

and forget the money. to be realistic ... without the red and blue blinders, I'm choosing SEC, ACC, etc over the A10 every day of the week if I believe I can play there. it's not always a mistake to go to the highest level. AD Vassallo put up 1800 points at Va Tech. maybe Noah is that guy.
This is what Mooney, Hardt, and Queally believe, that is for sure. Would be nice to have someone come in our athletic leadership to come and say, you know what that is the conventional thinking, but here is why Richmond is special and here is how I am going to change that conventional thinking to make Richmond compete at the highest level.

Reactions: mojo-spider
sure UR is special to us. everyone thinks their school is special.
end of the day, what are the marquis in-conference games for us in the A10? VCU? Dayton? St Bonaventure?

with a straight face you want to compare those to playing Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee and Auburn, etc?

Reactions: VT4700
disclaimer, I know nothing of Queally outside of what I read here. But a billionaire is a billionaire, so to me UR should not be operating at an NIL disadvantage. 99% of alumni at most schools, assuming he is spearheading it, SEC or otherwise, have no clue what NIL is.

But if the argument is that we can't compete bc of alumni base size, I just reject that bc we (seem) to have a well pocketed booster who (presumably) wants to win.

If your argument was that Hardt also doesn't know what NIL stands for, that I'd agree with and say we're operating at a disadvantage.

also to reply to sman - I'm not saying an A10 schedule is an SEC schedule. I'm saying that if it's not a blue blood where just going there is the whole thing and an allure in and of itself, money can overpower the allure of playing at a school like S. Carolina. Get me some top 150 guys and UR can schedule anyone we like OOC, Chaney-style.

we seem to be counting on the one guy that a lot of UR people have issues with to single handedly fund NIL and outbid high majors for talent.

I think we're overestimating how much he's willing to throw into this pool. he's been very generous with UR. but if his pockets were bottomless we'd still have Burton.

Reactions: Zeeter
Come on guys! We’re just lowly ole Richmond here. What else should you expect.

could be the new mantra of our athletic department

This is what Mooney, Hardt, and Queally believe, that is for sure. Would be nice to have someone come in our athletic leadership to come and say, you know what that is the conventional thinking, but here is why Richmond is special and here is how I am going to change that conventional thinking to make Richmond compete at the highest level.
I think our coaches talk us up big time when recruiting. How would we ever land anyone if they say what you guys think or assume they say? You really think our coaches aren't telling our recruits how special Richmond is, and how we can win big here? All they have to do is ask them if they saw the 2022 A-10 and NCAA tourneys.

And, some of you say Hardt doesn't care about winning because he keeps Mooney, ignoring the possibility that he might feel Mooney gives us the best chance to win. You guys can't even accept that just maybe this is the case. And, despite what many say on here, we have won big with Mooney. The talk of the board was Mooney should be fired before the 2020 season. Well, Hardt kept him and since then, we went 24-7 in 2020, and in 2022, we won an A-10 title and had an NCAA tourney win. Yet, Hardt still gets all this crap on here as if he doesn't care about winning and he was 100% wrong and you guys 100% right.

And, the crap Queally continues to receive on here is unbelievable. He has given a boatload of money and a lot of his time to our school, is now stepping up even more with NIL, and this board says he doesn't care about winning? Give me a freaking break.

Reactions: gcarter52
And, some of you say Hardt doesn't care about winning because he keeps Mooney, ignoring the possibility that he might feel Mooney gives us the best chance to win. You guys can't even accept that just maybe this is the case. And, despite what many say on here, we have won big with Mooney. The talk of the board was Mooney should be fired before the 2020 season. Well, Hardt kept him and since then, we went 24-7 in 2020, and in 2022, we won an A-10 title and had an NCAA tourney win. Yet, Hardt still gets all this crap on here as if he doesn't care about winning and he was 100% wrong and you guys 100% right.

And, the crap Queally continues to receive on here is unbelievable. He has given a boatload of money and a lot of his time to our school, is now stepping up even more with NIL, and this board says he doesn't care about winning? Give me a freaking break.

when u look at it overall and I think u have to, 3 NCAAs in 18 years is not winning big. 3 of his 4 predecessors at U of R outperformed that. Not sure anyone would realistically describe that as winning big. Many coaches could win at that level here.

If u had ever met John Hardt in person I think u might have a different opinion of him. Also, part of the issue isn't just keeping him, it's regularly extending contracts needlessly and limiting our options.

I'm not hard on PQ like others because I give credit and have respect for his financial support. But the hire of Hardt was more or less cronyism. It was a PQ driven quid pro quo sham of a hiring process. Hire who u want but don't be surprised later if u get criticism when it goes poorly.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
when u look at it overall and I think u have to, 3 NCAAs in 18 years is not winning big. 3 of his 4 predecessors at U of R outperformed that. Not sure anyone would realistically describe that as winning big. Many coaches could win at that level here.

If u had ever met John Hardt in person I think u might have a different opinion of him. Also, part of the issue isn't just keeping him, it's regularly extending contracts needlessly and limiting our options.

I'm not hard on PQ like others because I give credit and have respect for his financial support. But the hire of Hardt was more or less cronyism. It was a PQ driven quid pro quo sham of a hiring process. Hire who u want but don't be surprised later if u get criticism when it goes poorly.
Well, Hardt hasn't been here the whole time, so that seems irrelevant to my point. His 2nd year here we went 24-7. His 4th year here we won the A-10 and an NCAA tourney game. Yet, here we go again with the Hardt doesn't care about winning talk. And, you mention criticism when it goes poorly, but of course, all those that criticize will never give credit when it goes well. Just like with Mooney....when he loses, the criticism won't stop, but when he wins, it's because "the players bailed him out". Laughable.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcarter52
I think our coaches talk us up big time when recruiting. How would we ever land anyone if they say what you guys think or assume they say? You really think our coaches aren't telling our recruits how special Richmond is, and how we can win big here? All they have to do is ask them if they saw the 2022 A-10 and NCAA tourneys.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Well, Hardt hasn't been here the whole time, so that seems irrelevant to my point. His 2nd year here we went 24-7. His 4th year here we won the A-10 and an NCAA tourney game. Yet, here we go again with the Hardt doesn't care about winning talk.

Not sure I get your point. Exclusive to Hardt I wouldn't say we've won big during his tenure. We've had a couple very good seasons. But Hardt is going into his 7th hoops season with Mooney and so far, it is 1 NCAA in 6 years. I don't call that winning big either.

and he gave out a 3 year extension when the coach had 2 years left already. With Moon history here that's very bad AD management imo.

I've never said anyting re: Hardt not caring about winning. I imagine there were some comments tho. I feel like any AD has to care about winning on some level, right? So I'm sure he does, but also some ADs will care more than others. Here at U of R it does feel the admin and athletic dept could care more. That's my view from close observation of Richmond athletics for a long time. To get into someone's personal mindset is a pretty subjective thing. Probably more about who u hire, how u run your dept, how u allocate resources, how u reward performance.

And the whole crony/golden parachute/don't rock the boat or do anything b4 getting sign off from PQ/ hire of Hardt remains rotten imo.

Reactions: bullfrog91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT