ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I don't think those guys were top 50 recruits.
Yet they played a ton more minutes than Zeb when they got to college... Not sure why people focus so much on the high school ratings when there is two years of college as well.

Yet they played a ton more minutes than Zeb when they got to college... Not sure why people hang on the high school ratings when there is two years of college as well.
He was recruited by John Beilein and stuck around for Howard. Howard brought in his own guys. Either way, he is a pretty good back-up for Baldwin and Nunn,

If Mooney is looking for a 3-pointer guy, he should look at Owens, as a grad student from UMBC.
spent his first year at W & M- left with coaching change. Scored 1,000 points for the Retrievers.

Season Totals
SEASONTEAM
2020-21
MICH
MICH
2021-22
MICH
MICH
Career

FGFG%3PT3P%FTFT%ORDRREBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
5-2619.22-1315.44-757.1111126006616
5-1050.03-650.00-00.00662102313
10-3627.85-1926.34-757.1117188108929

Will be very interested to see how Mooney does in the portal. I am not a huge proponent of relying on transfers but you do have to take advantage when the situation arises. We probably have Burton for one more year, possibly our 3rd draftee in 20 something years. Not super impressed with the names we are mentioned with so far, at least the ones we are most probable to land, like Funk. Hopefully can land some talent to try to run it back and not relaxing after the big accomplishments this season.

Anyone have an idea as to where Efton Reid is transferring to? Find it interesting the eye ball emojis seem to coincide with the day he announced his transfer.

Reactions: Eight Legger
And I see some folks, like Fan1 trying to down play this pick up for VCU. Yes, not a ton of production so far, but a top 50 talent out of high school, that is hard to ignore. Hopefully you guys are right and he is not a top player, but it seems like it could be a bad pick up for us to play against.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
And I see some folks, like Fan1 trying to down play this pick up for VCU. Yes, not a ton of production so far, but a top 50 talent out of high school, that is hard to ignore. Hopefully you guys are right and he is not a top player, but it seems like it could be a bad pick up for us to play against.

23 if we’re being honest, half of our job as Spiders fans is to say that any move VCU makes is bad. If they signed up the top 5 recruits I would have to work hard but I’d convince myself it was bad for them

Not sure if the elder Martelli would pawn off a dud to the younger Martelli.

Season Totals
SEASONTEAM
2020-21
MICH
MICH
2021-22
MICH
MICH
Career

FGFG%3PT3P%FTFT%ORDRREBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
5-2619.22-1315.44-757.1111126006616
5-1050.03-650.00-00.00662102313
10-3627.85-1926.34-757.1117188108929
We have a dozen guys with these stats.

This is a much better ranking of players in the transfer portal that takes into consideration what they also did in College. https://evanmiya.com/
He is now only consider a 3 star and is currently ranked 187 in the portal.

BTW, Quinn is ranked as a strong 4 star, just below the cutoff for 5 stars.

Last edited:
Wish list:
Shooter: Ethan Wright
PF: Bryce Golden
C: Quinn or Stephen's.

If we were to get 2 shooters like Wright and Bryce, then I like Quinn a little better.
I may be a bit out of the loop, but with Sal's departure are we allowed to use that as a schollie? My understanding was that players with that extra year transferring out would not be allowed to be replaced with another scholarship player if it counted as over the 13 limit? So while we have Isiah and the other scholarship from graduation are we for sure that we can use that on Sal. I haven't seen anything saying officially we would be able to add 3 players and a bit curious.

Well, if Grace comes back, that's only nine guys on scholarship by my count. Add in Walz and that's 10. Still have three open spots.

I may be a bit out of the loop, but with Sal's departure are we allowed to use that as a schollie? My understanding was that players with that extra year transferring out would not be allowed to be replaced with another scholarship player if it counted as over the 13 limit? So while we have Isiah and the other scholarship from graduation are we for sure that we can use that on Sal. I haven't seen anything saying officially we would be able to add 3 players and a bit curious.
If Goose, Grace, and Sal came back and the redshirts became active, we still needed 1 to reach 13.

Then Wilson left, so we needed 2.

Now Sal left so we need 3 to have 13.

If, God forbid, Grace leaves we need 4.

I assume that just because we had 15 (including redshirts) last season doesn't mean we have less than 13 this season.

15 minus 4 (Gilyard, Golden, Sherod, Cayo) minus 2 (Wilson, Sal) plus 1 (Walz) should be 10.

Reactions: plydogg
If, God forbid, Grace leaves we need 4.
Let's hope that doesn't happen, If so then life after bball is very important for him. Going from beginning of A10 play to end of year averaged 17 minutes game. Can't see why 20/20+ minutes isn't in him. Love him being a SMART player on the court and even if not more being "clutch" lol continues a real asset for Mooney. I give coach credit adjusting going with GG/Grace combo. The team appears to need more scorers/shooters but two bigs for me would be okay.

Let's hope that doesn't happen, If so then life after bball is very important for him. Going from beginning of A10 play to end of year averaged 17 minutes game. Can't see why 20/20+ minutes isn't in him. Love him being a SMART player on the court and even if not more being "clutch" lol continues a real asset for Mooney. I give coach credit adjusting going with GG/Grace combo. The team appears to need more scorers/shooters but two bigs for me would be okay.
I agree but he is the last "Stay or go" player to officially declare...

Now not so sure, showing he shot 34% from 3 this year, but not seeing the sample size. In any case would be nice addition if we could land him.
23 of 63 this season
19 of 88 the 3 seasons before that

Any chance we will capitalize on our notoriety from defeating Iowa this year? After not capitalizing on our Sweet 16 appearance years ago, I’m not confident.

Like the sounds of it. THanks for the highlights spiderdad. Looks like a player. If you dropped this guy in the Patriot league betting he would be an instant 20 ppg. lIke that the tweet mentions Richmond first, interesting list - Us and Davidson comparable imo, Wofford / BIll and Mary - ehhh. And then Northwestern. This would be a good pick up. We have seen some highly touted guys go to UVA, not really fit or get pt, and go elsewhere and do good.

Not sure what the time frame for Matt to decide is, but he should wait and see what Mooney brings in. He should make his decision afterwards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT