ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Pretty detailed article about Rutgers here. Writer expects them to go after Ethan Wright hard. Writer agrees with sman that Quinn would be a back up to big Cliff.

Last edited:
The more I read about Wright, the more I like. Having another ++ rebounder for position is a nice bonus, and helps in that area of weakness without relying on coaching for improvement, same as Burton. From the video I have watched, super quick release.

Lots of competition for these top guys, and Mooney with very limited track record in the portal. BUT, if ever the year to change that - this the one. Need to capitalize on this success.

If Mooney pulls off a quality transfer (not a ChiSt, NEast non-factor) than I would say he's improved in this area. There's so many these days no excuse it can't happen.

Sorry but maybe not enough coffee yet but I keep remembering time after time Kwesi calling for the ball down low. LOL! And the blame for that is on the coach. Or maybe the player didn't understand the communication Mooney directed at him? Poor Sal was only allowed one mistake before being pulled.

Kwesi in 223 minutes as a Spider had 35 rebounds and fouls and 9 points.

Reactions: plydogg
Right, there are so many transfers now that just by virtue of being in a top 10 league, we should end up with a couple who can play. Now factor in that we won the league, made the NCAAs and won a game there, we should be in upper echelon territory when it comes to this process.

Read an article focused on the new coach at Maryland, Kevin Willard, who was the coach at Seton Hall for 12 years. The article had a long section about his views on the transfer portal as well as thoughts from other coaches and I thought this section was right on point:

“And I think you still have to build your culture, you have to use the transfer portal strategically. Get the right kids in that you think can help your roster. And also, you have to be very careful of the kids that you've had on your roster that have been with you three, four years, sometimes five years, you have to be very careful that you are not bringing kids that are going to get playing time against kids who have helped you win games, have helped you build a culture. So absolutely the transfer portal can be a weapon, but I think you have to use it very, very strategically."

Of course, the Spiders have to use the portal to plug holes due to a lack of recruiting success. The question is can the staff get the quality players it needs in this “second hand” market.

Here’s a link to the entire article.

Reactions: plydogg and SpiderK
I wonder how long it will be until we feel pretty solid that there will be no further announcements of transfers from our team.
I am hoping the only remaining news we get is Tyler exploring his nba options without an agent as I would have to think he will like gilly, Grant, and Blake did two years ago

Interesting about Tyler Thomas, local CT product, actually coached against him in hs summer league once. Didn't realize at that time he was such a big prospect. Been a big time player for SHU. I believe SHU coach has touted him as best player ever for their school.

Feeling good about Burton coming back, but you never do know.

Interesting about Tyler Thomas, local CT product, actually coached against him in hs summer league once. Didn't realize at that time he was such a big prospect. Been a big time player for SHU. I believe SHU coach has touted him as best player ever for their school.

KenPom shows 2022 as his Junior year, not his second Sophomore year?

This kid seems like a stud. Put up 30 vs. Rhody this year, 7 of 14 from three. Big-bodied guard who can fill the stat sheet? Sign me up!

If Mooney pulls off a quality transfer (not a ChiSt, NEast non-factor) than I would say he's improved in this area. There's so many these days no excuse it can't happen.

Sorry but maybe not enough coffee yet but I keep remembering time after time Kwesi calling for the ball down low. LOL! And the blame for that is on the coach. Or maybe the player didn't understand the communication Mooney directed at him? Poor Sal was only allowed one mistake before being pulled.

Kwesi in 223 minutes as a Spider had 35 rebounds and fouls and 9 points.
I remember him being worse than that, but that was consistent with his career numbers to that point. Mooney took him anyway.

It looks like Thomas sure does like to shoot. The last 2 years he took 16 and 15 shots a game, shooting 38 and 42 percent from the field, after shooting 34% his 1st year. From 3, he took a lot of 3s, shooting 27, 33, and 34 percent from 3 the last 3 years. Blake Francis shot 42 and 40 from 3 his 2 years at Wagner. I'm not saying don't go after him. Just saying he may not be a great shooter even though he averages a lot of points a game.

I suspect sacred heart didn't have many other weapons. In our system he wouldn't be shooting quite as much.

Reactions: SpiderK
I wonder how long it will be until we feel pretty solid that there will be no further announcements of transfers from our team.
I was wondering the same. I was also wondering how long it will be before we announce an incoming transfer & hopefully someone who can actually contribute; not just a body who can play a few minutes of relief time for starters.

I suspect sacred heart didn't have many other weapons. In our system he wouldn't be shooting quite as much.
Same could have been said of Blake Francis at Wagner before he transferred here. He actually had a higher usage rate (and shot worse) at Richmond than he did at Wagner. Hard to know how transfers will be utilized.

I am not super excited about Thomas, high usage / low efficiency player. Blake had decent efficiency even with his high usage rate.

Last edited:
I kind of feel like the teams that are still playing might have a disadvantage in the portal. Maybe it should not be "open" until after the NCAA/NIT is over?

it's a disadvantage because you're busy but a huge advantage that you're in the Final Four.

we were in contact with guys in the portal while we were playing our two games. there's time in the day for staff to scour the portal and time to reach out while still preparing to play.

"hey, we're really busy because we're still playing ... but we wanted to call because we think you'd help us get back here next year. we'll talk more soon." it would be impressive to get that call.

Jones is moving on from Davidson…has already been there four years but only played three. I hear he can shoot the three ball pretty well.

Reactions: Eight Legger
He is such a pure shooter I cannot believe he is leaving. The center from Austria was the only starter graduating.
Ah apparently he is graduating after all "Davidson G Michael Jones has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer. " and no grad programs so we are back to that situation ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT