ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

is a $75,000 per year cost differential not a legitimate reason?
C'mon, these top players going to IVY league are not paying much if anything. I know, I know, no athletic scholarships.

To quote: “When I was a senior in high school, I had about 20 basketball scholarship offers from all over,” said Shonn Miller, now a star 6-foot-7 freshman forward at Cornell. “But when they said I could come to Cornell for $2,000 a year, it made my decision pretty easy. I mean, are you kidding me?

So no, it's not a 75 grand difference.

Guaran effing tee you the top 100's Amaker is landing are not paying one red cent.

Reactions: coach fezz
C'mon, these top players going to IVY league are not paying much if anything. I know, I know, no athletic scholarships.

To quote: “When I was a senior in high school, I had about 20 basketball scholarship offers from all over,” said Shonn Miller, now a star 6-foot-7 freshman forward at Cornell. “But when they said I could come to Cornell for $2,000 a year, it made my decision pretty easy. I mean, are you kidding me?

So no, it's not a 75 grand difference.

Guaran effing tee you the top 100's Amaker is landing are not paying one red cent.
a lot depends on family income. don't know this kid's situation. it's possible they pay little. it's also possible they pay a lot. at SJU it's definitely $0.

the Ivy is very strict on academics too. it's not Duke or Georgetown.

Ford was the 12th man on a bad UTSA team this year...played a grand total of 23 minutes.

a lot depends on family income. don't know this kid's situation. it's possible they pay little. it's also possible they pay a lot. at SJU it's definitely $0.

the Ivy is very strict on academics too. it's not Duke or Georgetown.

I think used to be

I'm aware. It's just funny that people expect the news to be provided free of charge, even as outlets are laying off reporters by the hundreds.
I worked in the newspaper business for 35 years. The general opinion of everyone at the paper I worked at when Internet access became possible (except the out-of-town corporate bean counters ) was it was far better for local advertisers for everyone to have free access.

Free access exponentially increased local online readership numbers and exposure for the advertisers, with a minimal loss of daily circulation. Advertisers got far, far more bang for their buck.

The paywall effectively eliminated a large, large portion of our potential online readership base, made it impossible to link stories, limited ad exposure, and generated miniscule revenue from online subscribers.

PS: SF, all content on the News is free at this time, even the Bills' Blitz stories usually blocked by the paywall.

Reactions: spiders13
PS: SF, all content on the News is free at this time, even the Bills' Blitz stories usually blocked by the paywall.
Not exactly what I’m seeing. Covid content is freely accessible, non-Covid content requires a free account so they can spam you to subscribe, and Blitz content is still paywalled.

Today's Sunday Edition was the narrowest I think I can ever remember with very few ads. On a side note ordered takeout from a popular Italian restaurant on Saturday. They were very appreciative of the community support, so I asked how much business was down and the answer was 75%. I can only imagine the rate for those restaurants that are less popular.

Reactions: KWeaver and urfan1
Not exactly what I’m seeing. Covid content is freely accessible, non-Covid content requires a free account so they can spam you to subscribe, and Blitz content is still paywalled.
Not for me. Just clicked on the Joe Ferguson-Dan Marino story. Came right up.

Reactions: localspider
I worked in the newspaper business for 35 years. The general opinion of everyone at the paper I worked at when Internet access became possible (except the out-of-town corporate bean counters ) was it was far better for local advertisers for everyone to have free access
Free access exponentially increased local online readership numbers and exposure for the advertisers, with a minimal loss of daily circulation. Advertisers got far, far more bang for their buck.

The paywall effectively eliminated a large, large portion of our potential online readership base, made it impossible to link stories, limited ad exposure, and generated miniscule revenue from online subscribers.

The beginning of the end of the MSM came during the 2000 election. The first time many Americans saw the papers and network news agencies blatantly choose political sides. Then it bled over into sports by way of ESPN and national talk show hosts. I think if people still trusted the content of the papers, they would pay for it online. We just don’t believe them anymore.

Ford was the 12th man on a bad UTSA team this year...played a grand total of 23 minutes.
Mooney was unmerciful with that kid when he was here. I went to many practices where Mooney cussed and belittled AJ the whole time. Mooney knows how to get a kid to leave that he doesn’t want.

Reactions: KWeaver
The Spiders have one open scholarship that became available when rising junior guard Jake Wojcik transferred out on April 3. He will reportedly shift to Fairfield.
Mooney said the Spiders would investigate the possibility of filling that scholarship, but don't feel as though they need to

The above from the RTD article on Weir.

Normally I'm with 97 and say Yes you need to fill it! However, Covid circumstances, potential for the transfer rule to change - to immediatley eligiblity, and possibility of grad transfer all makes for more possibilities and options.

I still say if we can get a very good sit one play 2 or 3 transfer we should do it. Going to have a lot of freshman potentially in 21-22 so still think it would be best if we can insert a good veteran player in the mix.

The Spiders have one open scholarship that became available when rising junior guard Jake Wojcik transferred out on April 3. He will reportedly shift to Fairfield.
Mooney said the Spiders would investigate the possibility of filling that scholarship, but don't feel as though they need to

Normally I'm with 97 and say Yes you need to fill it! However, Covid circumstances, potential for the transfer rule to change - to immediatley eligiblity, and possibility of grad transfer all makes for more possibilities and options.

I still say if we can get a very good sit one play 2 or 3 transfer we should do it. Going to have a lot of freshman potentially in 21-22 so still think it would be best if we can insert a good veteran player in the mix.
Give scholarship help to a deserving walk on or divide up among any deserving walkons.

Are we still pursuing? https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Devin-Carter-125951/RecruitInterests/

He had a bunch of offers, and then tore his labrum and had surgery a couple months ago. Six-month recovery on that, so not sure what his plans are.

We offered him back in May 2019 and I haven't seen much (any?) other mentions since then other than general offer lists in articles.

He had a bunch of offers, and then tore his labrum and had surgery a couple months ago. Six-month recovery on that, so not sure what his plans are.

We offered him back in May 2019 and I haven't seen much (any?) other mentions since then other than general offer lists in articles.
Thanks! When the scholarship opened up, he seemed like the only 2020 that we were still listed with, so I wanted to check if that was an option.

Jacob Toppin enters the portal....

Crazy times at URI.

Dayton board has a high confidence level, as you might expect. Apparently the old in conference (sit extra year) transfer rules no longer apply either.
Come on Jacob, join Burton and we will have two skywalkers!

The beginning of the end of the MSM came during the 2000 election. The first time many Americans saw the papers and network news agencies blatantly choose political sides. Then it bled over into sports by way of ESPN and national talk show hosts. I think if people still trusted the content of the papers, they would pay for it online. We just don’t believe them anymore.
Easy with the “we” there...

Just has been announced by Rothstein that Marcus Santos-Silva is transferring. Wow! Big news.

Almost feels like it could spawn a new thread

Last edited:
No doubt, I thought that guy was awesome, foul trouble was his downfall. Big loss for the Rams, if true. Entered the NBA draft for pointers, but most expected he would return.

No doubt, I thought that guy was awesome, foul trouble was his downfall. Big loss for the Rams, if true. Entered the NBA draft for pointers, but most expected he would return.

All sorts of teams have fans who are already clamoring for this guy. Wonder how big a jump he may be able to make if a lot of programs show interest

Oh damn, awesome news. That must be why they signed a7-foot-1 stiff from Coppin State today as a transfer.

Reactions: plydogg
I may be a little biased, but - I think he was a good (not great) A10 player who will be a backup or struggle if he goes the power conference route.

Reactions: VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT