ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Well, the Woj Bomb today certainly makes this relevant again. Really think we should be looking for a sit out transfer, with a couple years left at least. A TJ Cline/Crabtree/Francis type of talent that can contribute in 2021-22 and add some experience so we don't have 5 freshman that year.
If we want an immediate replacement...
How close is Devin Carter to deciding?

I heard they were locker room nightmares who weren't panning out on the court and were going to be suspended from the team, so they decided to leave the team in December last year.
I just heard something like that from a Maryland alum. They weren’t sad to see them go.

Just a thought, but I’d look for us to target another VA kid if we opt to go the transfer route with Woj’s scholarship. Francis is from Virginia and so is Crabtree (believe he played high school ball in NC but grew up in VA), so we’ve had recent success here.

Just a thought, but I’d look for us to target another VA kid if we opt to go the transfer route with Woj’s scholarship. Francis is from Virginia and so is Crabtree (believe he played high school ball in NC but grew up in VA), so we’ve had recent success here.

It must be an easy sell to the parents. Their child will be able to play ball at a better school AND he will be close to home

Matt Haarms from Purdue will be transferring. That was pretty shocking to see.

He’ll have one year of eligibility left

Matt Haarms from Purdue will be transferring. That was pretty shocking to see.

He’ll have one year of eligibility left

Not that shocking really. He was losing playing time down the stretch to a guy who returns, and would probably play even less next year.

Not that shocking really. He was losing playing time down the stretch to a guy who returns, and would probably play even less next year.

Reports are that Purdue was blindsided so I’d say that is pretty much the definition of shocking.

But, who was blindsided? Was Matt Painter? That is the only opinion that matters really. If he wasn't blindsided, than this isn't shocking. Maybe he asked Painter what next year looked like since he was losing playing time down the stretch and not starting anymore, and Painter said you are probably looking at 10-15 minutes a game max with the emergence of Trevion Williams.

I know Haarms can go to any number of high profile BCS programs and land a starting gig, but man he would make for an interesting twin tower tandem with Grant. 7'3 guys that can play don't grow on trees.

And yes, when media reports say Purdue was blindsided, that means the coaching staff/team was. Haarms is high quality big man, I'm quite sure Purdue did not want to lose him. I highly doubt Painter is telling a player like that, yeah, I'm probably only going to get you 10-15 minutes max next year. VT, you do crack me up, with your naivete though.

My guess is Kentucky. They need a big guy (and apparently almost an entire roster at this point).

He doesn't seem like a Ky. guy to me. He averaged about 16 minutes and 6 points a game the last 10 or 11 regular season games, and that was for an average Purdue team that lost 15 games. If he is transferring for playing time, I doubt he gets more than that at Ky. I just don't think Purdue is that worried about losing him, and I don't see him being a big factor for too many power schools. Sure, teams will reach out and try to land him, but I doubt he will play more than 20 minutes a game for a good power conference team. He is not a scorer, won't draw a double team, doesn't rebound well for his size, and is not that good on defense. He is 7'3 and will block some shots, but if a team is looking for him to be a huge factor, I think they will be disappointed. If he is looking for a lot of playing time, maybe a mid major is his best option.

Last edited:
OK, thinking about this, I believe our greatest need is to find a sit one, play two or three guard that can score to fill our last spot.

2021-22 season in the back court we will have
Wilson - looks like a very good all around player and will have a year experience. Seems like logical replacement to Gilly. Not sure how much of a scorer?
Gustavson - Good defender, flashes of scoring, but no certainty that he can be a 15 ppg A10 scorer.
Crabtree - as noted I do like the looks of his highlights and production as a freshman starter in D1. Not sure if he is a true guard and can he defend the guard spot well?
And we will likely have two freshman guards.

I do believe we need a proven talent at guard to sit one. Another Francis type. And I do think the lower conferences may be the place to find one. Obviously the big boys are aware of these guys too (see Louisville) but still think there is more opportunity than the P6 names coming available. Also, based on our roster possibilities for 21-22, would think we are a very attractive landing spot.

Reactions: plydogg
He doesn't seem like a Ky. guy to me. He averaged about 16 minutes and 6 points a game the last 10 or 11 regular season games, and that was for an average Purdue team that lost 15 games. If he is transferring for playing time, I doubt he gets more than that at Ky. I just don't think Purdue is that worried about losing him, and I don't see him being a big factor for too many power schools. Sure, teams will reach out and try to land him, but I doubt he will play more than 20 minutes a game for a good power conference team. He is not a scorer, won't draw a double team, doesn't rebound well for his size, and is not that good on defense. He is 7'3 and will block some shots, but if a team is looking for him to be a huge factor, I think they will be disappointed. If he is looking for a lot of playing time, maybe a mid major is his best option.
If the first day, 16 BCS schools have already reached out to him, including Louisville, Kentucky, Arizona and Gonzaga. But yeah, Purdue and Painter are cool with him leaving, I'm sure.

Reactions: plydogg
St. Joe's and URI racking up the transfers. Must be crucial to their recruiting strategy.

Is it true the NCAA possibly changing the transfer rule for players not to have to sit out a year? One time only can be used? Thought I heard something about it. With players this season losing out on MM I could see discussion about it.

Is it true the NCAA possibly changing the transfer rule for players not to have to sit out a year? One time only can be used? Thought I heard something about it. With players this season losing out on MM I could see discussion about it.
Thats what I have been reading, my understanding is that they were supposed to have a vote on it -maybe in April, but that is pushed back b/c of covid. But yes, would allow for immediately eligible transfers.

VT4700 do you like to take the contrarian viewpoint just looking for a good argument sometimes?

?? The guy lost his starting spot, saw his minutes drop the 2nd half of the season, and was likely going to play even less next year because the guy that took his starting spot returns and is by far a better player. I can see why he is transferring and it is not surprising to me, and I don't think Purdue will miss what would have been his 10-15 minutes max very much. Just my opinion, which I thought is what we shared on here. I didn't attack or criticize anyone. I simply gave my opinion.

It is interesting to see how many calls Blake would have received if he announced it now. It seems his transfer to the Spiders was very much on the down low. Not sure what some of these guys are looking for, Ohio State SG Luther Muhammad just announced transferrring. I mean he started all year at OSU. I'm sure there are stories behind each one, but if you are a starter in a p6 conference and winning tradition hard to figure.

My Aztecs just landed a nice transfer.

Reactions: gospidersgo
this shows how competitive it is for good transfers. everybody wants them.
58 coaches called Trey Wertz (or his father) within 7 hours.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/article241792491.html

No doubt. Especially considering they might not have to sit out a year. I think most schools will try to get a transfer. The key is for the transfer to make sure it's a good fit for him. Some schools might just want to add depth, while the player wants more playing time.

There are a lot of players who could probably help us still out there even excluding grad transfers. That ignores things like could they get in etc.

But the list always leaves me asking so many questions. . . . and its not even 20 % populated with destinations yet. Like why would a guy playing and producing just OK . . . . not great) for Columbia transfer to St. Joe? Can't be just to play because he plays; can't be for better basketball because St. Joe's is terrible. Don't think he is a Philly guy and even if he was and wanted to go home, there are seemingly better choices for sure; certainly can't be for academics. Just a ton of these kind of questions you are left pondering when you look at this list.

But there are some good gets to be had still (again, in the sit out category). No way we can get a good grad transfer because we can't guarantee big time minutes. The kid from Air Force would be an excellent get for us!

Like why would a guy playing and producing just OK . . . . not great) for Columbia transfer to St. Joe? Can't be just to play because he plays; can't be for better basketball because St. Joe's is terrible.

Columbia went 6-24 last year, and the guy didn't even start. He didn't have that good a year, so if he has a chance to go play at St. Joe's in the A-10, why wouldn't he do that? Also, he is from there. Look at it this way. If he were being recruited by Columbia and St. Joe's out of high school, would it surprise you if he went to St. Joe's?

ADVERTISEMENT