ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

spiderman

Spider's Club
Jun 7, 2001
I know we don't have room so aren't in the market, but thought I'd take a look. 461 are in the portal now. seems low, maybe due to the coronavirus situation. but saw some names that I thought we interesting including some former message board favorites:

Riley Abercrombie: we lost him to Boise St. he scored 23 points last season. not ppg.
Trey Wertz: he was linked with us early, way before his senior year. had 2 very solid seasons at Santa Clara. averaged 12 ppg, with 40% from 3 last season. has started 58 of 62 games.
3 guys from Cal State Bakersfield.
4 from GW
3 from UMass including Sy Chatman
3 from URI including Dana Tata
Shareef O'Neil: Shaq's kid transferring from UCLA to LSU
Charles O'Bannon Jr leaving USC

Reactions: gospidersgo
I know we don't have room so aren't in the market, but thought I'd take a look. 461 are in the portal now. seems low, maybe due to the coronavirus situation. but saw some names that I thought we interesting including some former message board favorites:

Riley Abercrombie: we lost him to Boise St. he scored 23 points last season. not ppg.
Trey Wertz: he was linked with us early, way before his senior year. had 2 very solid seasons at Santa Clara. averaged 12 ppg, with 40% from 3 last season. has started 58 of 62 games.
3 guys from Cal State Bakersfield.
4 from GW
3 from UMass including Sy Chatman
3 from URI including Dana Tata
Shareef O'Neil: Shaq's kid transferring from UCLA to LSU
Charles O'Bannon Jr leaving USC
I can't remember how close we were with Jordan Bruner at Yale?

Will say that we likely have better shots with sit one transfers than grad transfers this year. Would like to get two A10 ready now type of guys to sit next year and eligible the 2021-22 season to augment the 2021 recruiting class.

Looking out to that season, I have a high confidence level in Burton and Crabtree being impactful A10 starters. Gus, Woj, Wilson, Weir, Sal I am hopeful, but not confident yet (Weir and Wilson obviously hard to judge yet) that a couple can be starters on a top 3 type of A10 team.

Reactions: plydogg
Will say that we likely have better shots with sit one transfers than grad transfers this year. Would like to get two A10 ready now type of guys to sit next year and eligible the 2021-22 season to augment the 2021 recruiting class.

Looking out to that season, I have a high confidence level in Burton and Crabtree being impactful A10 starters. Gus, Woj, Wilson, Weir, Sal I am hopeful, but not confident yet (Weir and Wilson obviously hard to judge yet) that a couple can be starters on a top 3 type of A10 team.

Who are you going to boot out to make room for any of these guys?

No, you missed my point. I am saying we go after traditional transfers - that way we have some D1 ready guys for 21-22.
BTW - Carlik Jones entered the portal. Grad transfer though - even though he beat up Richmond pretty good - doubt he wants to come here. Guessing Cincy or X per articles about him dreaming of playing for local schools.

23, can't bring in traditional transfers with 13 already on the roster. good players like what you want aren't going to pay full fare for their redshirt year.

Oops, forgot that little bitty detail. Yikes, that really causes us to hit the reset button on 21-22 season. I am not down on Goose or Woj, just not convinced either is an all A10 type talent. Very solid role players, which is quite an accomplishment.

21-22 probably looking at a lineup of something like:
1)Wilson
2) Woj/Gus - maybe Crabtree here?
3)Crabtree (Gus backing up)
4) Burton - Maybel Sal here and Burton at 3?
5) Weir

Could probably use a proven Grad Transfer next year.
yeah this next class is huge.

Any idea why all these guys are leaving Rhode Island after the year they had? Seems like a ton of mid major players are transferring to power teams this year

23, can't bring in traditional transfers with 13 already on the roster. good players like what you want aren't going to pay full fare for their redshirt year.
No, 23 wants to not renew Sherod, Gilyard, and Golden Scholarships next year and bring in 3 guys to redshirt on Scholarship next year instead. :)

I'm sure that is what the program wants as well. o_O:rolleyes::eek:

{red alert! sarcasm red alert!}

Reactions: plydogg
Abercrombie is intriguing, re-watched his h.s. highlights and nice bounce and shot, never saw much court time at Boise though. Boise was pretty good, but not that good - I don't think. Moot point this year. If we did have a transfer enter the portal, this really really would be the year to entice a guy with available PT in 21-22.

Gus needs to get a bunch of shots up this offseason. He just needs to get more air under his shot consistently. When he does, he’s a decent shooter. When his shot is flat, it doesn’t go in. But even if his offensive game doesn’t develop (I think it will), he is such a good on ball defender that he still has great value.

I shouldn't rule Gus out. He had some very nice games this year, and it's kind of hard to show your offense when you are the sixth or 7th option behind 4 1000 point scorers.

Funny how Spiderplant only comes on here to bash billboards and defend moon but never talk hoops or discuss the team. Really does seem like a "plant".

Wichita now with 8 guys out the door, and Goodman says there may yet be a 9th...sheesh.

WOW, that is crazy about Wichita. Reading up on four of the guards, big time talents all. 3G in trouble after this one? He has been one of the top coaches in the game the last 10 year, but maybe his personality is starting to wear kids down? Too bad we couldn't grab one of those transfer guards, but not spots available.

WOW, that is crazy about Wichita. Reading up on four of the guards, big time talents all. 3G in trouble after this one? He has been one of the top coaches in the game the last 10 year, but maybe his personality is starting to wear kids down? Too bad we couldn't grab one of those transfer guards, but not spots available.
The guards?

What about the most recent? He may not have played a lot, but I would take him just for the name - AsBjorn MidtGaard...
And at 7 feet 270 pounds that is one great Dane!

Just saw that Rhode Island is picking up two transfers (brothers) from Maryland. Not sure how good they are but could they be the A-10 version of Cody and Caleb Martin?

Rhode Island just picked up another transfer. Malik Martin from Charlotte.

I think the fact that none of the players for the Terps were upset when they left may
say a lot about the twins as teammates.

I heard they were locker room nightmares who weren't panning out on the court and were going to be suspended from the team, so they decided to leave the team in December last year.

Reactions: SpiderK
I shouldn't rule Gus out. He had some very nice games this year, and it's kind of hard to show your offense when you are the sixth or 7th option behind 4 1000 point scorers.

Funny how Spiderplant only comes on here to bash billboards and defend moon but never talk hoops or discuss the team. Really does seem like a "plant".
Kind of ironic that the only thing that gets his passion about Spider sports is the billboard, not the team or its players, unless on of those players is out on social media calling fans haters. Alanas Morrisette had a song about that back in the day.

Kind of ironic that the only thing that gets his passion about Spider sports is the billboard, not the team or its players, unless on of those players is out on social media calling fans haters. Alanas Morrisette had a song about that back in the day.

The best part about that song is that nothing in it is actually ironic, it’s all just bad luck. Making the song “Ironic” itself ironic. Always thought it was funny

oh. I thought you were going for “you oughta know” with this one.

Yeah, we obviously don't need an immediately eligible transfer. Nine guys returning, Crabtree becoming eligible, and Wilson and Weir coming on board. Get a transferring frosh to sit and join the Wilson/Weir class or a soph to join the Burton/Crabtree class.

Well, the Woj Bomb today certainly makes this relevant again. Really think we should be looking for a sit out transfer, with a couple years left at least. A TJ Cline/Crabtree/Francis type of talent that can contribute in 2021-22 and add some experience so we don't have 5 freshman that year.

Agreed. 100%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT