ADVERTISEMENT

Top 4 seed

What was the Temple/St Joe record during the Chaney/Martelli years?
13–11 in favor of Temple it looks like between 1995 and 2006 when they overlapped. That included Temple winning the first 10 matchups and St. Joe's winning 7 of the last 8.

Reactions: urfan1
4 times since 2018 isn't setting the world on fire though, you do realize this right?

FWIW, I understand the reset on what current players think versus former ones, but it's not an on/off switch. The current seniors have been here for 4/5 seasons, they carry that record now, and I suspect felt the weight of the 3 years before them when they were just freshmen. If they don't, it's a missed opportunity to motivate them, as I think everyone can get up for a rivalry game.
No, 4-7 since 2018 isn't setting the world on fire, but I just dont see why, at 4-6 since 2018 coming into this season, our coach should be screaming he is 8-22 against them, especially after the win in March. And, one loss later, no, I don't seeany reason to scream 8-23.
Does anyone really think our guys don't get up for the VCU games? And, would our coach yelling for the world to hear he is 8-23 against them really help?

Did I suggest that we are Duke-UNC? Of course not. The point was that our rivalry is very similar on a smaller scale. But honestly, take away everything else: we should never go 8-23 in 31 straight games against anyone in our league or in a lower league, as VCU has been for all of those games. Never!

We aren't Fordham or LaSalle. Those teams have sucked for years and years. Would you accept 8-23 against St. Bonaventure? St. Joe's? St. Louis?

Also, 9-13 against VCU prior to Money is a lot closer to .500 than 8-23 is during Mooney. So thanks for making my point.
They’ll do any kind of dance and strategically pick and use time frames to run away from Mooney’s 25 pct win rate vs VCU. ANYTHING to hang onto him. The 25 pct win rate is 30 pct below his long term record, and that is mediocre at best. But more than acceptable.Jeez.

Since 99, Temple leads 22-20. That would include a few of those years at least.

Edit: full breakdown.

They overlapped from 1995 through 2006. Looks like it was 13-11 Temple during that time.
Does that seem a more apt comparison than UNC/Duke?

Even if it was lopsided Temple early, 11-13 would be reasonable…

Reactions: urfan1
I think that one is reasonable and so is Duke-UNC. So is UCLA-USC, Xavier-Cincy, etc. Generally speaking, two teams that either are in the same city and league, or at least in comparable leagues, are reasonable comparisons to me. An unreasonable one would be Villanova and Penn.

I think that one is reasonable and so is Duke-UNC. So is UCLA-USC, Xavier-Cincy, etc. Generally speaking, two teams that either are in the same city and league, or at least in comparable leagues, are reasonable comparisons to me. An unreasonable one would be Villanova and Penn.
So you didn’t like my Tennessee Vandy football comparison?

You talk about past performances and say you are surprised that I don't think that plays into our players psych? Why would it? They just finished beating them in March. And, as I said in the previous post, if that is so true, why can't beating them twice in 2018, again in 2020, and again in March "play into their psych"? I'm actually surprised you keep bringing 8-23 up as if that is all our players think about. You act like we haven't beaten VCU in years when we just beat them in March. Goose, Grace, and Tyler have beaten VCU twice, both huge wins, yet you want our coach to tell the world he is 8-23 because that will somehow help our players? Sorry, I just can't make that make any sense.

As for your Caps example, it is not a good one. The Caps finally beat the Penquins in the playoffs in 2018 after not beating them in the playoffs since 1994, losing 7 series in a row. So, if they also had beaten them in the 2020 playoffs and again in 2022, would their players really have this "burden" in 2023? We beat VCU in 2018 (twice), 2020, and 2022, yet you think our players have this burden because our coach is 8-23 against them going back to 2006? This just makes no sense at all. Your example proves my point....you act like we have never beaten VCU when we have actually beaten them 4 times since 2018.
On how many attempts? 10, 11, 12?

No, 4-7 since 2018 isn't setting the world on fire, but I just dont see why, at 4-6 since 2018 coming into this season, our coach should be screaming he is 8-22 against them, especially after the win in March. And, one loss later, no, I don't seeany reason to scream 8-23.
Does anyone really think our guys don't get up for the VCU games? And, would our coach yelling for the world to hear he is 8-23 against them really help?
I don’t think picking an arbitrary range that nets UR a 36% win rate compared to a 25% win rate is any kind of thing to hang your hat on.

I’m not a big “accountability” chest thumper but Jesus, folks are just looking for the coach to own this and say or do something to suggest he is intent upon turning it around. He doesn’t have to scream it from the mountaintop like you’re suggesting. And yes, if he wins the next five in a row to get to 13-23 then I will personally tell every critic to shut their pie hole on this topic, which they would willingly do.

There’s something to be said for “words matter” and if CM starts making some statements that we are going to do better, then it’s incumbent upon him to deliver. The lack of commitment is the thing that I suspect bugs people. “Competing” is not satisfactory.

Well we definitely disagree on not having anything to do w being fired. 100% think a factor doesn’t mean the factor. W Cooper no doubt. Weber ranted about Kansas at end of tenure re: cheating, that was on his mind bc he knew held against him. Google & a couple articles on terrible record vs KU come right up. Groh idk but I’d like to hear anyone say 1-9 didn’t hurt him. I feel like a terrible record vs main rival is universally a factor.

If we r in good place as program & I know u very high on the team, then it shouldn’t be a big ask to go into Costco in a few weeks & win.
But when Richmond losses by 20 plus and gets embarrassed on TV again these same people high on this team will retreat to the excuse "Well, they just have more talent."

I don’t think picking an arbitrary range that nets UR a 36% win rate compared to a 25% win rate is any kind of thing to hang your hat on.

I’m not a big “accountability” chest thumper but Jesus, folks are just looking for the coach to own this and say or do something to suggest he is intent upon turning it around. He doesn’t have to scream it from the mountaintop like you’re suggesting. And yes, if he wins the next five in a row to get to 13-23 then I will personally tell every critic to shut their pie hole on this topic, which they would willingly do.

There’s something to be said for “words matter” and if CM starts making some statements that we are going to do better, then it’s incumbent upon him to deliver. The lack of commitment is the thing that I suspect bugs people. “Competing” is not satisfactory.
Yes, just own it, say it unacceptable, and you are going to do better would be a start. Mooney doesn't want to say that because he doesn't want someone to call him on that quote a few years later when we haven't. Weak sauce. If he had confidence in his abilities, he would be able to say this, the fact that he doesn't, tells us he doesn't.

Not gonna make a Top 4 seed this season, reduced to hoping we can reach the standard..... 55%.

Now now now, we can still earn a top 4 seed if we win all our remaining games, petition the league for a few extra games against LaSalle, and all the other teams' planes crash into each other.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
In a league where there are zero teams even mentioned in ESPN’s latest bubble watch. The A10 used to have a section like the other significant conferences. Ugh, this is ugly.
A-10 needs to keep adding teams until they get a good one.

Yes, I deleted that after I posted because I agree we all should be bothered by 8-23, but the difference for me is that is more of a lifetime debate than a right now debate. They are two different things IMO.

I actually did know those 3 records without researching. I don't think the rivalry records had anything to do with Weber and Groh being let go (or "resigning"). Weber's last 3 years were terrible, and Groh's act got old. I said after the 20 loss seasons, I wanted Mooney back because I liked the talent we had and wanted to see how they could do with Blake and a healthy Nick, but I said I also understood if we let him go, and accepted why some were down on him then. But, yes, he survived when others probably wouldn't have, and I am glad he did. Even though this year isn't where we want it to be, I still believe our program is in good shape right now. Just my opinion.
we're 1 -10 on the road in a very weak A10. Mooney got the transfers he wanted, we finally have some bench strength, we've got a team full of upper classmen, and we stink. How on earth can you say a program with the resources and facilities we have is in good shape?

we're 1 -10 on the road in a very weak A10. Mooney got the transfers he wanted, we finally have some bench strength, we've got a team full of upper classmen, and we stink. How on earth can you say a program with the resources and facilities we have is in good shape?
Fair question, but I think we are just a good PG away from being a real good team. I do think we have some talent, but just like it's hard for a talented football team to win without a good QB, it's hard for a talented basketball team to win without a good PG. I know it's the coach's job to recruit and get the right guys here, and Mooney has always had a good PG, so I have to have hope that Smith can come in here and be the missing piece. If not, maybe find one in the portal. If not, blame Mooney for not getting one because next year will be the same as this year if we have the same guys at PG.

Fair question, but I think we are just a good PG away from being a real good team. I do think we have some talent, but just like it's hard for a talented football team to win without a good QB, it's hard for a talented basketball team to win without a good PG. I know it's the coach's job to recruit and get the right guys here, and Mooney has always had a good PG, so I have to have hope that Smith can come in here and be the missing piece. If not, maybe find one in the portal. If not, blame Mooney for not getting one because next year will be the same as this year if we have the same guys at PG.
Hard to win giving up over 100 as well.

My bigger worry for next year isn’t pg, but the void that will be left by Tyler. We rely so heavily on him, especially for offense and rebounding (and he even leads the team in steals!).

I don’t see who our next great scorer is, (especially someone who can create their own shot) but hopefully I’m wrong.

We need a much stronger back court next year. I think our best hope, is Nelson regains his MOJO. I saw flashes earlier in the year. I believe he has the work ethic and love of the game to bounce back in a big way next year. It sounds like, opposed to Bizjack blowing up, Smith may be leveling off (according to stats and sdads sources). I like what Dji brings on the court and think, if he can stay healthy, can be a positive piece. But, as much as this will pain a certain poster, I think he has a lot of Goose in his game, in that he does not seem inclined to look for his offense. Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing always, but does mean that Smith, or Nelson, or Randolph need to score.

Reactions: nathanw19
We need a much stronger back court next year. I think our best hope, is Nelson regains his MOJO. I saw flashes earlier in the year. I believe he has the work ethic and love of the game to bounce back in a big way next year. It sounds like, opposed to Bizjack blowing up, Smith may be leveling off (according to stats and sdads sources). I like what Dji brings on the court and think, if he can stay healthy, can be a positive piece. But, as much as this will pain a certain poster, I think he has a lot of Goose in his game, in that he does not seem inclined to look for his offense. Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing always, but does mean that Smith, or Nelson, or Randolph need to score.
I’ve seen some nice flashes from Nelson and Randolph this year with the ability to create their own shot and be a leading scorer, but I think they have some growing to do to fill that void. Just the first time in awhile where looking at next year’s squad, you can’t really pinpoint who that guy (or guys) is going to be…

Hey, we scored 105 points last night and Burton only had 15 of them! Extrapolating that out to next year, add a couple transfers and Smith, we should probably average about 95 points per game easy.

• Love
This season is just about over. We will lose Burton, Grace, and Goose. We will still have Mooney driving the ship. Sorry to disagree, but we are a whole lot further than "a good PG away from being a real good team". There are big player holes / production to fill, and Mooney is a continuing liability.

The sound you heard last night was the door shutting!
Think the door shut after the VCU loss. Guys are still playing hard and give them credit for that, but the season effectively ended then. This team as constructed is simply not very good. We have some good individual players, Burton is really good, but the team as whole is not. Mooney, per always, is where the accountability buck should stop, but somehow he has some teflon veneer and it never does.

Mooney, per always, is where the accountability buck should stop, but somehow he has some teflon veneer and it never does.
Teflon Mooney. He has his contract extension. We don't have NIL. Transfer portal. He is just ducking and hoping he can have the roster, whether Jaynel/Smith are the next dynamic duo - or he has to go portal, he can get the guys to make a run in 24-25 or 25-26. And all the Bob Black's, Matt Smith's and academics, and lil ol ladies, will be happy.

Now, I am not giving up on next year, but I thought we should have been banging on the door this year, next year even more change and transition.

I said this when this thread got created, whoever thought we were gonna have a chance to finish top 4 is either dumb or just doesn’t watch Looney coached teams. Makes me sad

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT