ADVERTISEMENT

Top 4 seed

VT4700

Graduate Assistant
Dec 16, 2016
We still have hopes for a top 4 seed. Looking at the standings, it's going to be really hard to catch VCU, Dayton, and St Bona because VCU is 4 games ahead of us, and Dayton and St Bona are 2 games ahead and each hold the tie breaker on us. So, with one spot left, I am looking at our game against St Louis as a huge one if we get on a run going into that one.

1. Beat GW, Loyola, and LaSalle and get to 8-6 going into the St Louis game.
2. Beat St Louis, win 2 of our last 3 after that and get to 11-7.
3. Have St Louis lose 3 more not counting us, which I see happening with their schedule.
4. We and St Louis finish 11-7 and we have tiebreaker.

* Sorry in advance if this is too positive for this board and it bothers people. It's just the way I am. I never give up on goals, while still being realistic. Will it be tough to win 6 of our last 7? Yes. Odds are probably against it, especially if we don't get better offensive production. But, can we do it? Yes, I think it's very doable. Not saying it will happen. Just saying, IMO, every game is still important and we still have a lot to play for.

We still have hopes for a top 4 seed. Looking at the standings, it's going to be really hard to catch VCU, Dayton, and St Bona because VCU is 4 games ahead of us, and Dayton and St Bona are 2 games ahead and each hold the tie breaker on us. So, with one spot left, I am looking at our game against St Louis as a huge one if we get on a run going into that one.

3. Have St Louis lose 3 more not counting us, which I see happening with their schedule.

* Sorry in advance if this is too positive for this board and it bothers people. It's just the way I am. I never give up on goals, while still being realistic. Will it be tough to win 6 of our last 7? Yes. Odds are probably against it, especially if we don't get better offensive production. But, can we do it? Yes, I think it's very doable. Not saying it will happen. Just saying, IMO, every game is still important and we still have a lot to play for.
Thanks for documenting this potential path to Seed #4. Agree odds are against it but anything possible as we were reminded of last March .. Just looked at the SLU schedule and they sure don't have an easy one ..

Hopefully one week from today we will be at 7-6 and you can update this thread ..

Nothing wrong with being positive, although I do think it has the adverse effect of creating a perception/narrative that we’re closer to where we want to be than we in fact are. This has been my own personal struggle with CM, it’s the “just wait” thesis rather than being out front and in command.

But maybe things will turn our way here. Not ultra-likely but hope springs eternal.

Nothing wrong with being positive, although I do think it has the adverse effect of creating a perception/narrative that we’re closer to where we want to be than we in fact are. This has been my own personal struggle with CM, it’s the “just wait” thesis rather than being out front and in command.

But maybe things will turn our way here. Not ultra-likely but hope springs eternal.
Don't get me wrong here. I'm not at all happy with 5-6 IC right now. I am definitely not trying to say, no worries, all is good. That is why I mentioned offensive production. If we don't improve offensively, we have little chance of winning 6 of our last 7. Can we improve this late in the year? Maybe.

As for Mooney, he mentioned how much losing bothers the coaches. Some on here say he doesn't care, but I believe he cares a ton. He said he can't carry the devastation of losing over to the players, and I agree with that 100%. And, I'm sure he feels if he says to the media what some of you want to hear, that is basically carrying it over to the players. I also agree with this 100% and is exactly how I would be. This explains perfectly why I am so disliked on here. I am a lot like Mooney as far as this concerned, so it all makes sense. :)

OK, part 2 of the conference season. A lot to play for. I am in for this. I do think it is going to be hard, as we have not played very well at all in conference so far, maybe one or two good games. But I think we absolutely have top 4 talent in this league, so we should have a shot at this. SLU is under acheiving too - but I have never been in the Ford is a great coach camp. He is a good recruiter, but not a great coach in my book.

But I think we absolutely have top 4 talent in this league, so we should have a shot at this.
I like our roster. and I'll stay hopeful to the end.

but as it stands right now we have one player who'd make any of the 3 all-conference teams. and the other 4 aren't close. no idea how that translates to "top 4 talent".

but as it stands right now we have one player who'd make any of the 3 all-conference teams. and the other 4 aren't close. no idea how that translates to "top 4 talent".
We are desperately missing a second playmaker, no doubt.

Anything is possible!

I'm certainly not counting any game as a loss yet. However, 5-2 seems more likely than 6-1. I expect we may very well win the multi-team tiebreaker at 10-8. I'm just not sure if that would be the tiebreaker for 4th or 5th...

We are not getting a top-4 seed. We just aren't. What we should be focused on us staying out of the bottom six. It's a much more realistic and important goal at this point. Hopefully we use the rest of the regular season to figure out how to score more than 60 points in a game and not get destroyed by VCU and SLU when we play them. Anyone can win the A10 tournament, including us, but not if we have to win five games.

Last edited:

Not sure how you ever can look at talent in a vacuum. For instance, if we had a young, motivated JB coaching, I think we have top 2 talent. I can only dream how he could have molded a Burton and Bigelow lead team. Probably could have Goose averaging 12 points a game. COACHING MATTERS. That is my point. So yes, I guess you are correct, with mooney at the lead, we have an 8th place talented team. But I think we have the players that are talented enough - I saw it with JB - its easy to talk theoreticals based on this year's performance, but I saw JB take losing players, and make them winners.

Reactions: wr70beh
I don’t think it matters as much this year for two reasons - the league is down obviously and the Friday day off. I do think avoiding the bottom 6 and only having to win 4 games is imperative of course. Playing Wednesday and Thursday with a day off before the semifinals opens the door for a team seeded from 5-9 to very easily win it all again this year.

I don’t think it matters as much this year for two reasons - the league is down obviously and the Friday day off. I do think avoiding the bottom 6 and only having to win 4 games is imperative of course. Playing Wednesday and Thursday with a day off before the semifinals opens the door for a team seeded from 5-9 to very easily win it all again this year.
Simple math though. Much much easier to win 3 in a row than 4 in a row.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
a lot of games to play, so I'm not going to try and predict how it may shake out. Hopefully wherever the team falls for the A10 tourney provides favorable matchups and a good path. I'd love to see that Fordham team be the top 4 seed on UR's side of the quarterfinals. Teams I don't want to see are Dayton and Bonas. Besides being winless vs them so far this year, UR is 1-8 last 9 vs Bonnies, 1-10 last 11 vs Dayton. Just stylistically been poor matchups for UR. So I guess I'd hope for a 5 seed on a VCU/Fordham side of the draw with a path of 12 seed, FU, VCU, Champ. game. FU VCU for sure.

Reactions: urfan1
Simple math though. Much much easier to win 3 in a row than 4 in a row.
True. But the 4 isn't 4 days in a row. That isn't easier than 3. but 4 in 5 days may be easier than 4 in 4 days.

Reactions: VT4700
We are desperately missing a second playmaker, no doubt.
As with probably every team in college basketball, it is all about guard scoring for us. It's just way too hard to win without guards who can consistently score.

Starting with KA's 1st year in 2008, we had 2 or more guards average double figures in ppg every year except 2011, when KA averaged 16.6, 2016, when ShawnDre averaged 15.1, 2019, when Jacob averaged 16.2, and 2022, when Jacob averaged 13.3.

So, 11 of the last 15 years, 2 or more guards averaged double figures, and the other 4 years, our one guard who did still averaged well into double figures and often led us in scoring.

This year, Nelson is our highest scoring guard at 8.7 a game, and his last 7 games, he is averaging 4.6 a game.

Reactions: urfan1
For instance, if we had a young, motivated JB coaching, I think we have top 2 talent.
I was a fan of JB too. maybe he could make the TEAM better. but top 2 talent is crazy talk.
when I take off the red & blue glasses, I'm not sure any of our starters (outside of Burton) are more talented than the A10 average starter at their position.

As with probably every team in college basketball, it is all about guard scoring for us. It's just way too hard to win without guards who can consistently score.
yes, we're sacrificing offense for defense at guard. it could work if we had 2 offensive loads in the frontcourt. we only have Burton.

despite the strong game yesterday, Grace just isn't an offensive force. neither are Quinn or Bigelow.
Bigs has the look, but just hasn't shot well enough.

For some reason, I thought it was play Wednesday then Friday. If Friday is the day off, I’m not sure that hurts the Top 4 that much.

As for Mooney, he mentioned how much losing bothers the coaches. Some on here say he doesn't care, but I believe he cares a ton. He said he can't carry the devastation of losing over to the players, and I agree with that 100%. And, I'm sure he feels if he says to the media what some of you want to hear, that is basically carrying it over to the players. I also agree with this 100% and is exactly how I would be. This explains perfectly why I am so disliked on here. I am a lot like Mooney as far as this concerned, so it all makes sense. :)

There is some "Mooney doesn't care about losing" on here but I think a lot more is about personal accountability. That has nothing to do w carrying the emotions of losing over to the players. Taking more blame would help the players presumably. To use the 8-23 vcu example again, to me the players def carry some extra burden of Richmond rarely winning that game. Only Mooney is accountable for 8-23. He should take accountability for himself #1, but #2 it could actually help u win. take some pressure off players. If nothing else u r 8-23 try it.

Reactions: spider23
We are not getting a top-4 seed. We just aren't. What we should be focused on us staying out of the bottom six. It's a much more realistic and important goal at this point. Hopefully we use the rest of the regular season to figure out how to score more than 60 points in a game and not get destroyed by VCU and SLU when we play them. Anyone can win the A10 tournament, including us, but not if we have to win five games.

Think that's fair. First goal is stay out of bottom six and avoid max games. Then if we get on a win streak maybe we can more realistically look at top 4. But right now that's early, after all Wednesday night will be a tossup & then if lose u r like well that was a fun goal.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I was a fan of JB too. maybe he could make the TEAM better. but top 2 talent is crazy talk.
when I take off the red & blue glasses, I'm not sure any of our starters (outside of Burton) are more talented than the A10 average starter at their position.
Ok Mr. "Mooney had been recruiting great for the last five years", so his recruiting sucks now, you can't have it both ways. We heard how great Quinn and Roche were. I can see Bigs is a player. Goose absolutely has talent with a coach that could bring it out. The crazy talk is that moon is a great recruiter but we don't have good talent.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Ok Mr. "Mooney had been recruiting great for the last five years", so his recruiting sucks now, you can't have it both ways. We heard how great Quinn and Roche were. I can see Bigs is a player. Goose absolutely has talent with a coach that could bring it out. The crazy talk is that moon is a great recruiter but we don't have good talent.

he just needs more time to get all the Wainwright recruits cycled out of the program and get his own guys in here, show some patience!

I think it can be both. We have the talent, but no one has really stepped up to consistently be that 2nd or 3rd guy.

I think it can be Bigelow or Roche, they both have some ability to get hot on O and Bigelow plays pretty decent D.

I think it can be both. We have the talent, but no one has really stepped up to consistently be that 2nd or 3rd guy.

I think it can be Bigelow or Roche, they both have some ability to get hot on O and Bigelow plays pretty decent D.
Correct. Couldn’t agree more with your choice of “consistently”. Burton is gonna get his points night in and night out. We’ve had several players have nice production games this year but not many with consistent momentum. Grace had several games this season where he poured in points and went quiet for several games until yesterday where he took over. We really need a consistent 2nd and maybe 3rd guy.

There is some "Mooney doesn't care about losing" on here but I think a lot more is about personal accountability. That has nothing to do w carrying the emotions of losing over to the players. Taking more blame would help the players presumably. To use the 8-23 vcu example again, to me the players def carry some extra burden of Richmond rarely winning that game. Only Mooney is accountable for 8-23. He should take accountability for himself #1, but #2 it could actually help u win. take some pressure off players. If nothing else u r 8-23 try it.
What is he supposed to say? Do you want him to call a press conference and announce this to the team? The media? "Hey, I am 8-23 against VCU" and that now means the team will play better against them? I just don't get what you are asking for here. This team has nothing to do with 22 of the losses you talk about, but they certainly know how big of a game it is. Was 7-22 relevant in March when we whipped them? Jacob, Grant, and Nate swept them in 2018, won a huge one against them in 2020, and another huge one against them in March. Do you really think they cared about what happened in this series 10+ years ago? Like I said earlier, we could win the next 5 and you would be on here saying Mooney is only 13-23 against them.

Maybe it's actually better to bring up our sweep over them in 2018, our huge win over them in 2020 while we were chasing the at large bid, and, of course, our big time win over them last March? This lets them know this is not some juggernaut we are playing here. "We have shown we can beat them the past few years, so let's go do it again". I just think you are really reaching with this one.

What is he supposed to say? Do you want him to call a press conference and announce this to the team? The media? "Hey, I am 8-23 against VCU" and that now means the team will play better against them? I just don't get what you are asking for here. This team has nothing to do with 22 of the losses you talk about, but they certainly know how big of a game it is. Was 7-22 relevant in March when we whipped them? Jacob, Grant, and Nate swept them in 2018, won a huge one against them in 2020, and another huge one against them in March. Do you really think they cared about what happened in this series 10+ years ago? Like I said earlier, we could win the next 5 and you would be on here saying Mooney is only 13-23 against them.

Maybe it's actually better to bring up our sweep over them in 2018, our huge win over them in 2020 while we were chasing the at large bid, and, of course, our big time win over them last March? This lets them know this is not some juggernaut we are playing here. "We have shown we can beat them the past few years, so let's go do it again". I just think you are really reaching with this one.
Would you rather be 8-23 or 23-8? I’ll wait for your qualified answer lol

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
All fair, 23. I think Mooney has recruited well, and we do have talent. I think we built the team this year of course around Tyler, but had big plans for Nelson and Quinn at 2 positions that have always been key for us. We have not had the consistency there to be better than 12-12 right now. You can blame coaching, but I'm not sure what the answers would be. I had hopes for Bigs as a 3 point threat, and hoped that Tyler would be a more consistent shooter from 3 this year. It's just tough when the shooting is not there, and I just don't think the fix is as easy as some of you think. If it were that easy, every team in the country would have a good offensive efficiency. I wanted Mooney to be patient with both Nelson and Quinn, and he has been. My guess is he knew we would need them to be above average players this year to get us where we want to go. But, at some point, you have to try something else, which he did by not starting Nelson and giving Bigs 9 more minutes than Quinn last game. And, it's not that I am just always pro Mooney...I just don't blame coaches very often, but if I think they deserve blame I will say it, Mooney included.

It’s actually irrelevant what he says either in public or private.

Beat VCU more, and if you can’t, let’s find someone who can.

Well, being Mr. Nice Guy publicly for 18 years hasn't exactly worked out too well, so maybe try something different? Being Mr. Nice Guy publicly this year definitely hasn't worked out.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a coach who had compiled what likely is the worst record against a rival in any Division 1 sport to show some public frustration at some point. Maybe it gets his team riled up too when they realize he's actually sick of this shit and not just walking around in a Xanax-induced stupor, content with his $15 million.

He doesn’t have to call a press conference he gets press conferences pre & post game all the time esp for that game. There is a lot he could say….I’ve just never heard him acknowledge once how bad we r vs vcu in 18 years or that we need to do a lot better. Sure we have a win every once in a while but players know we r bad. Mooney is the worst rivalry coach of ALL time nobody can come up w someone worse. Do the players know that? Idk but they know it’s terrible. When u r the worst of all time I think it’s natural to recognize that incl publicly in the position he’s in. I’ve said this b4 but u can’t fix a problem if u r in denial.

& I’m surprised u think the past performances of teams that had nothing to do w current players does not play into their psyche. Until the Washington capitals beat the penguins in playoffs finally they 100% carried burden of past failures even from the 80s & 90s. There r lot of other examples. Esp at home. There is a “here we go again” air in the crowd that can be draining to team.

Would it work? Don’t know. But u r 8-23 the approach u have taken so far clearly has not.

He doesn’t have to call a press conference he gets press conferences pre & post game all the time esp for that game. There is a lot he could say….I’ve just never heard him acknowledge once how bad we r vs vcu in 18 years or that we need to do a lot better. Sure we have a win every once in a while but players know we r bad. Mooney is the worst rivalry coach of ALL time nobody can come up w someone worse. Do the players know that? Idk but they know it’s terrible. When u r the worst of all time I think it’s natural to recognize that incl publicly in the position he’s in. I’ve said this b4 but u can’t fix a problem if u r in denial.

& I’m surprised u think the past performances of teams that had nothing to do w current players does not play into their psyche. Until the Washington capitals beat the penguins in playoffs finally they 100% carried burden of past failures even from the 80s & 90s. There r lot of other examples. Esp at home. There is a “here we go again” air in the crowd that can be draining to team.

Would it work? Don’t know. But u r 8-23 the approach u have taken so far clearly has not.
You talk about past performances and say you are surprised that I don't think that plays into our players psych? Why would it? They just finished beating them in March. And, as I said in the previous post, if that is so true, why can't beating them twice in 2018, again in 2020, and again in March "play into their psych"? I'm actually surprised you keep bringing 8-23 up as if that is all our players think about. You act like we haven't beaten VCU in years when we just beat them in March. Goose, Grace, and Tyler have beaten VCU twice, both huge wins, yet you want our coach to tell the world he is 8-23 because that will somehow help our players? Sorry, I just can't make that make any sense.

As for your Caps example, it is not a good one. The Caps finally beat the Penquins in the playoffs in 2018 after not beating them in the playoffs since 1994, losing 7 series in a row. So, if they also had beaten them in the 2020 playoffs and again in 2022, would their players really have this "burden" in 2023? We beat VCU in 2018 (twice), 2020, and 2022, yet you think our players have this burden because our coach is 8-23 against them going back to 2006? This just makes no sense at all. Your example proves my point....you act like we have never beaten VCU when we have actually beaten them 4 times since 2018.

You talk about past performances and say you are surprised that I don't think that plays into our players psych? Why would it? They just finished beating them in March. And, as I said in the previous post, if that is so true, why can't beating them twice in 2018, again in 2020, and again in March "play into their psych"? I'm actually surprised you keep bringing 8-23 up as if that is all our players think about. You act like we haven't beaten VCU in years when we just beat them in March. Goose, Grace, and Tyler have beaten VCU twice, both huge wins, yet you want our coach to tell the world he is 8-23 because that will somehow help our players? Sorry, I just can't make that make any sense.

As for your Caps example, it is not a good one. The Caps finally beat the Penquins in the playoffs in 2018 after not beating them in the playoffs since 1994, losing 7 series in a row. So, if they also had beaten them in the 2020 playoffs and again in 2022, would their players really have this "burden" in 2023? We beat VCU in 2018 (twice), 2020, and 2022, yet you think our players have this burden because our coach is 8-23 against them going back to 2006? This just makes no sense at all. Your example proves my point....you act like we have never beaten VCU when we have actually beaten them 4 times since 2018.
& the Caps had beaten the Pens in plenty of reg season games & once in a playoff series b4 so I guess they could draw on those. We can go round & round. 8-23 is 8-23. If u r a player under Mooney u play & r part of the worst rivalry performance of all high level sports. That can play w your mind. U r a big stats guy do u know any coach who has done worse w equivalent games played?

I expect u would deny but if we were 1-30 or 2-29 vs them & the wins came in last few years I think u would be saying the exact same thing.

And u might say that VCU does not come into the game w more confidence in winning than we do. I disagree. They expect to win we hope to win. The cumulative effect of 8-23 does that. And all I’m suggesting is try to do something different. A byproduct of that is taking personal accountability of the vcu record just once which is quite reasonable on own. Idk I don’t see any of this as some outlandish take.

& the Caps had beaten the Pens in plenty of reg season games & once in a playoff series b4 so I guess they could draw on those. We can go round & round. 8-23 is 8-23. If u r a player under Mooney u play & r part of the worst rivalry performance of all high level sports. That can play w your mind. U r a big stats guy do u know any coach who has done worse w equivalent games played?

I expect u would deny but if we were 1-30 or 2-29 vs them & the wins came in last few years I think u would be saying the exact same thing.

And u might say that VCU does not come into the game w more confidence in winning than we do. I disagree. They expect to win we hope to win. The cumulative effect of 8-23 does that. And all I’m suggesting is try to do something different. A byproduct of that is taking personal accountability of the vcu record just once which is quite reasonable on own. Idk I don’t see any of this as some outlandish take.
8-23 vs VCU, 0 for 18 A10 regular season championships, 2 for 17 A10 tournament, and 3 for 17 NCAA appearances are all unacceptable. That's the reality of the situation. Stop with the spin and call a spade, a spade. We can do better!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT