ADVERTISEMENT

Tonite’s Mooney Talk

Nice event ... 1st question from moderator was related to transfer portal and basically Chris continued to talk about how the process has changed so much through the years. NIL was the next topic and while Chris supports NIL he talked about chatting with Gus at one point of likely career earnings as a UR grad and getting his MBA compared to the reality of how much NIL most Richmond athletes will get. Says during recruiting he sure wants to make sure he's recruiting kids who understand that coming that the Richmond 4 year experience and graduating as a Richmond alumn matters more than NIL proceeds.

Super senior updates came next and I assume repeat question/answer from Tuesday morning session.

Then audience got to ask some questions. I asked the 1st question about the challenges and process for the non-conference scheduling. He credited Gipe for very long hours and went in to the various complexities. The 20 game format that most Power 6 conferences makes it harder and if the goal is just the best non conference games we would have few to no home games. One key goal is to get home and homes with quality high mid majors and sprinkle in a few VA team with the reality being that only in tournament like events or "neutral" (he chuckled) games like Clemson are we able to get Power 6.

Someone asked about whether we would eventually play a few games at the new proposed Henrico 17K arena and while he hadn't been thinking about it, he does hope it would open up other options - and mentioned that the arena may bring the 1st and 2nd round games to Richmond at some point.

Last question was about the new players - nothing much new here beyond what has been said in other interviews.

Last edited:
Nice event ... 1st question from moderator was related to transfer portal and basically Chris continued to talk about how the process has changed so much through the years. NIL was the next topic and while Chris supports NIL he talked about chatting with Gus at one point of likely career earnings as a UR grad and getting his MBA compared to the reality of how much NIL most Richmond athletes will get. Says during recruiting he sure wants to make sure he's recruiting kids who understand that coming that the Richmond 4 year experience and graduating as a Richmond alumn matters more than NIL proceeds.

Super senior updates came next and I assume repeat question/answer from Tuesday morning session.

Then audience got to ask some questions. I asked the 1st question about the challenges and process for the non-conference scheduling. He credited Gipe for very long hours and went in to the various complexities. The 20 game format that most Power 6 conferences makes it harder and if the goal is just the best non conference games we would have few to no home games. One key goal is to get home and homes with quality high mid majors and sprinkle in a few VA team with the reality being that only in tournament like events or "neutral" (he chuckled) games like Clemson are we able to get Power 6.

Someone asked about whether we would eventually play a few games at the new proposed Henrico 17K arena and while he hadn't been thinking about it, he does hope it would open up other options - and mentioned that the arena may bring the 1st and 2nd round games to Richmond at some point.

Last question was about the new players - nothing much knew here beyond what has been said in other interviews.
Thank you

I hope that comment doesn’t mean we r not trying to secure H&H with the low p6. We talked about this recently they r still hard to get but feasible imo & we do have history of getting a few. I feel like we should have 1 at least every other year.

Yeah I don’t think we are giving up but he said multiple times that the 20 game p6 schedules make it tougher which does logically make sense
I hope that comment doesn’t mean we r not trying to secure H&H with the low p6. We talked about this recently they r still hard to get but feasible imo & we do have history of getting a few. I feel like we should have 1 at least every other year.

so basically if top leagues are saying their conference games are what matter now and they don't want to play good non-major team H&H, that they'll play 3-5 neutrals vs other majors and also 7-8 cupcakes/buy games, not much left. Stresses the importance of ditching the A10 bottom feeders and bolstering the strength of the league. Gotta get in good tournaments OOC too. Otherwise every single season becomes the gauntlet of hoping the OOC "good" games turn out okay. and avoiding even a single land mine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT