ADVERTISEMENT

TJ headed back to Israel

Is it me or does that ball look tiny?
It does look small for some reason, but video quality is terrible so maybe just a trick of the eye? It looks like a Molten ball with that color pattern, and I'd think it should be the FIBA standard GL7 which is the same if not a little bigger than an NCAA/NBA ball.

I'd have a hard time feeling comfortable going to play in certain parts of the world, and that would be one of them. Hoping he and everyone else can stay safe.

Reactions: urfan1
Made it to Athens this morning. Headed to Istanbul tomorrow, then back home to Dallas. He and four teammates were able to get out on a flight, but some are still there trying to get out.

I’m curious. With the growth in professional basketball in Europe and I guess Israel, what
kind of contracts do these American players get?

I’m curious. With the growth in professional basketball in Europe and I guess Israel, what
kind of contracts do these American players get?
You can make good money - all depends on the country and league. Also depends on citizenship as many leagues still have limits on the amount of Americans they allow on a roster. But if your American and can get a European passport (usually have to prove a grandparent or great grandparet born in country) - then you don't count against the limit. Plus - teams like to have some representation from their own country or neighboring countries. Also remember - contracts are tax free (the team pays your taxes). So you net much more than here in US.
A guy like TJ - I would not be surprised if he is making 100-150K per year. The risk though - is just what you saw. Turmoil sometimes arise in these countries. And the other thing - none of these contracts are guaranteed. If you play bad or team doesn't like you - they can just cut you and send home, with little to nothing owed to you from your contract. Contracts are also not usually longer than 1 or 2 years as teams generally keep a small core together if they can and just add new players (kinda like transfer portal). But if love hoops (cause really all you will be doing all day in foreign country), and can survive in far off places on your own or with limited support (look at TJ having to navigate his way home on a rescue plane) - then its a great experience.

One thing I think has changed though with the G-League improving, less Americans that go to Europe I think end up in NBA. I think more NBA guys now come from G-League. Would be curious on stats on that - but that just seems to be the feel last few years. Which I think was the point of the G-League - keep talent in US and keep in close for easy call ups during the season.

Reactions: urfan1
One thing I think has changed though with the G-League improving, less Americans that go to Europe I think end up in NBA. I think more NBA guys now come from G-League. Would be curious on stats on that - but that just seems to be the feel last few years. Which I think was the point of the G-League - keep talent in US and keep in close for easy call ups during the season.
yes, they seems to almost force players into the G-League now if those players want a shot at the NBA.
and they only pay them $40,500 when the NBA minimum is $1.1M.
Overseas pays much better but you're probably never coming back.

There's also the Exhibit 10 contracts like Grant and Jacob (before he got upgraded to two-way) signed. Those come with bonuses ranging from $5,000 to $75,000 and are usually for guys an NBA team brings in to training camp but who don't make the final roster yet the team wants to keep them in their organization. Under Exhibit 10, the guys get the bonus for signing with the affiliated G League team rather than going to a different one. Believe each NBA team can have up to 6 guys on Exhibit 10 deals.

Yeah - but the incentive for money is in Europe. If your looking for NBA, you might need to get paid less and make only 30-40K a year after taxes, but you get 1 call up to the NBA for 10 days - your salary instantly doubles and the goal really is just to make a roster. Rookie minimum salaries are about 950K in the NBA. So really - your just hoping you make 1 NBA team - and that paycheck, even after taxes is probably equal to 3-4 European years.

I don't think many (most?) of the G-league or European players are in it for the money. They are in it to keep playing the game they love and delay "real life" a little longer. I don't blame them a bit for that!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT