ADVERTISEMENT

Things that drive me nuts multiple times per game

Nov 19, 2009
I know some hate the negativity on this board, but frustration levels are high. As a fan, it's dismaying to watch these things happen multiple times per game, every game (even the ones we win):

• A 5'10" Spider ends up trying to guard the opposing team's center in the post
  • Our offense works the ball around and gets a wide open 3 opportunity, but it's TD or DT, so they keep working the ball around
  • We take a quick early shot, and there are 5 opponents there to gather the rebound and no Spider within 30 feet.
  • Our offense works the ball around and gets a wide open 3 opportunity, but it's TD or DT, and they shoot the ball.
  • We don't box out on defense and an opponent, totally out-numbered by Spiders, comes from nowhere to grab a rebound
The lack of adjustments (to schemes, to lineups, etc.) makes no sense to me. I can be patient with mediocrity if I see attempts to change things - we can at least have hope for a better future. Right now, the only hope I have is the incoming recruiting class. But that's a year away, and the rest of this year looks pretty hopeless.

Reactions: coachur91
I know some hate the negativity on this board, but frustration levels are high. As a fan, it's dismaying to watch these things happen multiple times per game, every game (even the ones we win):

• A 5'10" Spider ends up trying to guard the opposing team's center in the post
  • Our offense works the ball around and gets a wide open 3 opportunity, but it's TD or DT, so they keep working the ball around
  • We take a quick early shot, and there are 5 opponents there to gather the rebound and no Spider within 30 feet.
  • Our offense works the ball around and gets a wide open 3 opportunity, but it's TD or DT, and they shoot the ball.
  • We don't box out on defense and an opponent, totally out-numbered by Spiders, comes from nowhere to grab a rebound
The lack of adjustments (to schemes, to lineups, etc.) makes no sense to me. I can be patient with mediocrity if I see attempts to change things - we can at least have hope for a better future. Right now, the only hope I have is the incoming recruiting class. But that's a year away, and the rest of this year looks pretty hopeless.
The way you keep that switch from happening as I watch Duke and UVA play matchup zones also, is when the screen is set, pop the defensive big out enough that the ball handler must swing out which allows the smaller defender to recover and get out to him. Then the big defender can get back with the screener to defend. We always just simply switch and stay with it. TJ should not be stuck covering a PG 20+ feet from the basket and picking up unnecessary fouls.

Agree Carolina, by "hedging" the screen hard that problem can be somewhat avoided

I enjoyed the lose-lose scenario you gave us here

The way you keep that switch from happening as I watch Duke and UVA play matchup zones also, is when the screen is set, pop the defensive big out enough that the ball handler must swing out which allows the smaller defender to recover and get out to him. Then the big defender can get back with the screener to defend. We always just simply switch and stay with it. TJ should not be stuck covering a PG 20+ feet from the basket and picking up unnecessary fouls.

yes and there are many times where re switch can be done without problem

Here's another one. Someone gets the ball and is double or triple teamed and yet remains locked in on making a shot without looking for the pass to open shooter.
Oh, and by the way, anyone who says that TJ and TA are not getting double or triple defenders has not seen any of our A10 games.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
It is hard to get excited about new recruits if Mooney is still the coach. All of the problems listed above will still happen - he has no clue when to call time outs and cannot make in-game adjustments.
My hope is that the raw playing ability of our incoming recruits will make positve impacts in spite of coaching.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Here's another one. Someone gets the ball and is double or triple teamed and yet remains locked in on making a shot without looking for the pass to open shooter.
Oh, and by the way, anyone who says that TJ and TA are not getting double or triple defenders has not seen any of our A10 games.
Agree 100%. I remember posting this a while back, and someone dismissed it. If I were a coach, it makes perfectly good sense to double or triple those 2.

To me a lot worked well last night... we once again just didn't make the shots... if Melvin Johnson was shooting the same wide open shots our boys had he would've broken the NCAA record. We have a confidence issue....

SJ had a chance to pull us within 1 with 18 seconds left and his shot looked like a free mason... WIDE OPEN. Typical for many, many of our shots.

Agree 100%. I remember posting this a while back, and someone dismissed it. If I were a coach, it makes perfectly good sense to double or triple those 2.
The double team(s) are a no-brainer. We discussed it here before the season started - that is why it was painfully obvious that the contributions of the newcomers would determine the fate of the season. And, as many suspected, Mooney continues to over-rely upon a line-up that can not consistently win at a high level.

Fore is doing well now (though he didn't get to play much for first half of the year) but Mooney has utterly failed to develop or successfully integrate the rest of his newcomers.
Some may say that Mooney doesn't have enough A-10 talent - I submit that is a result of HIS failures. Once again everyone is reaping what the Coach has sown. A Coach that wins 53% (or whatever it is exactly) over an 11-year stint has proven what HIS (Coach) talent level is.

Something to think about - Next year the pre-season Spider team is in the EXACT same position as they were this year. The development and contributions of the newcomers will determine the overall success of the season. **** As others have said, I HOPE that their raw ability can overcome what I guarantee will be poor coaching. :confused:

Reactions: rspides
Everyone talks about how we just missed shots. Fair, but 2 things.

1) at what point is it not just missing shots anymore, or the opponent got hot, or we were just off, and

2) why don't we get some closer looks to the basket. For all the backcuts we run and motion on offense, we usually end up taking the most jump shots each game. Think about how many layups Davidson had. That's why they were able to hold on down the stretch. VCU the same, they got to the rim and had better looks. That's coaching

To me a lot worked well last night... we once again just didn't make the shots... if Melvin Johnson was shooting the same wide open shots our boys had he would've broken the NCAA record. We have a confidence issue....

SJ had a chance to pull us within 1 with 18 seconds left and his shot looked like a free mason... WIDE OPEN. Typical for many, many of our shots.
Every mooney team has a confidence issue. Just look how we have vlosed out games

if the shots arent falling find another way to produce offense. But no its a system and we cant vary from the system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT