ADVERTISEMENT

The Zone thread

brooklyn brownstone

Graduate Assistant
Oct 31, 2007
I thought Moon coached an awful game tonight from minute 1 through the final comical play and most of my ire is his being flummoxed by a zone yet again. The zone completely - for the 2nd time in 4 games - lulled UR to sleep and Moon adjusted exactly once, by going small the first time in the first half when it was 12-3 (at the 7 minute mark, 3 points, unreal), when we hit b2b threes, but then immediately Moon subbed someone in and didn't let that lineup try to make a run, despite it being just after a timeout. His inaction to change the flow of the first half and then the last 9 1/2 minutes of the game in the halfcourt against zone was for me the main thing. Yes, guys played badly, but the tone for the game that Moon allowed to be set the first 7 minutes was inexcusable.

Here's an idea: set some screens on guys playing the zone instead of having 4 out passing the ball back and forth up top with Quinn floating about the elbows as the defenders switch off on him.

The small lineup did better against it but ultimately also failed to get almost any good looks after Bigelow's last 3 to put UR up 45-39.. 8 points the last 9:35 of the game (a Bigelow jumper, 2 follows by Burton, a busted play to Nelson.)

A zone shouldn't be that difficult and this was a heaping, steaming pile of Moon.

Don’t worry Mooney is going to be around forever. I cant wait to play Syracuse and Toledo boy that’s going to be so much fun! Mooney doesn’t understand the zone defense. He is too busy selling for real estate.

An ongoing issue for 18 seasons now, you’d think it wouldn’t look like it was the first time he’s ever seen a zone every time.

Someone might want to let them know that Syracuse might play a zone next game… maybe.

Syracuse is typically an all zone team and pretty good at it. We better figure some stuff out quick.

One thing I noticed was our spacing was really awful. Our spacing enabled their zone to play wide and high. If a zone is allowed to do that and not attacked from the corners and short corners, offenses will really struggle. We got a bit better at this in the middle part of the 2nd half, but then seemed to forget at the end.!

Philly, yes. The plan seemed to be throw it to the wing. Look at Quinn on the elbow. If he's not open throw it to top of key, and try the other side exactly the same way. If they did find Quinn on the elbow, he was exactly zero threat to dribble or shoot and would pass it back up top. Rinse, repeat. Ball never went to corners, was never any hi-low action with Quinn and the WSU guards had free run to guard Quinn bc of no other responsibilities - no cutters, no picks, just soft, unthreatening passing.

I thought Moon coached an awful game tonight from minute 1 through the final comical play and most of my ire is his being flummoxed by a zone yet again. The zone completely - for the 2nd time in 4 games - lulled UR to sleep and Moon adjusted exactly once, by going small the first time in the first half when it was 12-3 (at the 7 minute mark, 3 points, unreal), when we hit b2b threes, but then immediately Moon subbed someone in and didn't let that lineup try to make a run, despite it being just after a timeout. His inaction to change the flow of the first half and then the last 9 1/2 minutes of the game in the halfcourt against zone was for me the main thing. Yes, guys played badly, but the tone for the game that Moon allowed to be set the first 7 minutes was inexcusable.

Here's an idea: set some screens on guys playing the zone instead of having 4 out passing the ball back and forth up top with Quinn floating about the elbows as the defenders switch off on him.

The small lineup did better against it but ultimately also failed to get almost any good looks after Bigelow's last 3 to put UR up 45-39.. 8 points the last 9:35 of the game (a Bigelow jumper, 2 follows by Burton, a busted play to Nelson.)

A zone shouldn't be that difficult and this was a heaping, steaming pile of Moon.
Look at the statistics…

Don’t worry Mooney is going to be around forever. I cant wait to play Syracuse and Toledo boy that’s going to be so much fun! Mooney doesn’t understand the zone defense. He is too busy selling for real estate.
Or guys can’t make shots.. that doesn’t help either.

did you think we were taking good shots against the zone the first 10 shots? perhaps shot selection could have improved the shooting statistics.

Roche should start Monday. The only way we can bust a zone like that one is to shoot over it. So, let our shooters shoot over it and see what happens.

Nothing changes if nothing changes. Same ole same ole. What we did in year 1 that didn't work is still not working in 2022. Of course there have been a few exception years sprinkled in, but for the most part, it is what it is. Adaptability and change is a wonderful thing.

Nothing changes if nothing changes. Same ole same ole. What we did in year 1 that didn't work is still not working in 2022. Of course there have been a few exception years sprinkled in, but for the most part, it is what it is. Adaptability and change is a wonderful thing.
No change is needed. All is well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT