ADVERTISEMENT

The University of Richmond has lost its way

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
The University has completely given in to the cancel culture. This article questions the character of those running the school. It was prominently displayed on the front page of realclearpolitics.com.

Here is a classic line.
"I will remind you that just like Stalin had Trotsky killed, the Left always eats its own. They will never be satisfied. They are coming after you. Their mission is always to destroy."

Last edited:
Here is another line:

You and your cowardly board wants to attack a great benefactor of the University and the City of Richmond who died 130 years ago, while using his largess to pay the salary of a genuine, real life devil worshipper!

Here is another line:

You and your cowardly board wants to attack a great benefactor of the University and the City of Richmond who died 130 years ago, while using his largess to pay the salary of a genuine, real life devil worshipper!
I would love to see Mr Smith sue the school for the money they have provided over the years, It very well could
end up in SCOTUS, where other schools in similar circumstances would be subject to the precedence set my the results.
Our culture had and has it flaws, but when does the past become history and not someone’s efforts to disregard
reforms that have been made? Never? That’s what they would have you believe.

From what I understand, T.C. Williams saved the law school by donating money. Why would anyone donate money, when the school could erase them years later?

Gosh. Now I have to change all my passwords. What’s the new name for TCW School of Law? So unfair at my age.

If you never want anything in life to change, you’re going to have a miserable life. Just saying.

People who don't like change will always complain about it. The rest of the world will change. This is nothing new. Adapt or die.

People who don't like change will always complain about it. The rest of the world will change. This is nothing new. Adapt or die.
What? Adapt or die?
There are millions of people who only vote their party line. Do you think these people, as closed minded as they are,
may be going to die?
Think about what you are saying. How many changes have you made? “ If you never want anything in life to change, you’re going to have a miserable life. ” But the changes are made after you are dead, and by other people.
That’s why I find your statement incorrect.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I agree with everything that changes, either. Every generation looks at the one that comes after it with a bit of disdain. "Why are they doing that?" Or "That's a stupid thing to do." But the future belongs to the young. Most of us here no longer qualify as that, unfortunately. When you were young, your generation did a lot of stuff that your parents' generation hated. Etc etc. It's just life.

I get that lots of people are upset that names of buildings are being changed all over the place. Maybe it goes too far, maybe it doesn't. I'm not particularly moved by any of it either way. I'm just saying that the younger generation today is not going to stop what it believes is a pursuit for justice and equality, and this is part of that. I don't think a bunch of Boomers are going to be successful in slowing down that change, that's all.

And yes "the purifiers" of today will be the ones "purified" tomorrow. It is so much fun to point out the sins and faults of others while maintaining an exalted view of one's own actions.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
The author makes some very fair points. He also undermines them with his crude and unprofessional language. He's angry and I get it and maybe that was his intent. But his points could easily get dismissed simply due to how he chose to make them. Defend in another way and he makes a stronger case. Which is too bad I'd like to read that one. Instead imo it comes across as bitter rant from someone who probably dresses up in a rebel uniform in civil war reenactments every other weekend. He could also use a lesson in brevity.

Smith's visceral anger diminishes the chances of the reader absorbing the validity of his positions. There are considerable counterpoints to the wisdom of the school's ditching of the T.C. Williams name.

Reactions: GKiller
Yea, roll over and accept this madness. Good advice Eight! By the way, keep those donations coming to support this crap. Sad to say, but I wouldn't even let my kids consider attending UR at this point. The school's leadership is pathetic and they should all be replaced immediately.

I can see both sides on this one, too. I'm sure the school's response would be, Hey, we gladly accepted the money at the time but now the way we view certain beliefs and actions has changed, and so we are changing too, but the money didn't come with conditions and we don't need to pay it back all these years later.

Viewing people from several generations ago through the lens of today is sort of like comparing Aaron Judge to Babe Ruth and trying to decide who was better. Babe Ruth playing in today's game might not even make a team. Aaron Judge playing back then probably would hit 120 homers in a season. But the world and sports and training and equipment all have advanced a ton since then. It's probably best to view athletes, and to some extent people in general, through the lens of who and what they were within their own generations.

The murky part is looking back now on things we know to be wrong and inhumane, like slavery. It was very much a part of life 175 years ago, but does that excuse the behavior of anyone involved with it? Do we forgive someone more if he or she also did a ton of good things? I don't really know the answer to those questions.

Every human being is a mixture of doing good things and doing bad things. Sadly our world/country has become so polarized that lines are quickly drawn without consequences being fully analyzed. Inability to forgive particularly when based on presentism has a way of boomeranging. One example is Yale's rush to erase John C. Calhoun while ignoring Elihu Yale's profiteering from slave trading. As my Econ Professor Herman P. Thomas was fond of saying - "It all depends on whose ox is being gored."

Reactions: whampas
The indoctrination at UR is everywhere. In the new humanities building, they post "art" that is designed to project feelings and emotions onto each student. This gay black man feels estranged from his church. I wonder why? And who cares?

Why do YOU care? It doesn't involve you, so if you don't like it, just don't pay attention to it. It's not that difficult.

Why do YOU care? It doesn't involve you, so if you don't like it, just don't pay attention to it. It's not that difficult.
Critical race theory and the indoctrination of our families is our concern. Every person receiving a degree from this school is almost completely indoctrinated. This is not art, it is garbage.

What part of that was critical race theory (which is basically a made-up thing, btw)? A Black man isn't allowed to express himself through art? Really?

And again I would say, fine. You are entitled to your opinion. If you hate everything about UR, stop paying attention to it and go find another university to support. This is not difficult.

Reactions: Wood Hall
I’d bet dollars to donuts there aren’t 5 graduates that concern themselves with the racial
make-up of minorities attending our school, as long as it’s fair. I think SCOTUS is going to rule
on this , this year.
But the constant badgering and shoving it down our throats only divides us.

This is a summary of several studies on the indoctrination of children in CRT. Nice.

Annals of American Education
The Journal’s Nicole Ault and Megan Keller reported recently on the influence of destructive critical race theory in a Pennsylvania school system. Sadly it appears that such pernicious influence is nationwide. In City Journal, Zach Goldberg and Eric Kaufmann write:

... we commissioned a study on a nationally representative sample of 1,505 18- to 20-year-old Americans—a demographic that has yet to graduate from, or only recently graduated from, high school...

We began by asking our 18- to 20-year-old respondents (82.4 percent of whom reported attending public schools) whether they had ever been taught in class or heard about from an adult at school each of six concepts—four of which are central to critical race theory...

... 62 percent reported either being taught in class or hearing from an adult in school that “America is a systemically racist country,” 69 percent reported being taught or hearing that “white people have white privilege,” 57 percent reported being taught or hearing that “white people have unconscious biases that negatively affect non-white people,” and 67 percent reported being taught or hearing that “America is built on stolen land.”

...Fifty-three percent report they were either taught in class or heard from an adult at school that “America is a patriarchal society,” and 51 percent report being taught or hearing that “gender is an identity choice” regardless of biological sex...

America was built on stolen land, or did you think the natives living here just casually invited us to take 1.5 billion acres of their property? Not really sure what you are attempting here, other than to amplify your ignorance.

America was built on stolen land, or did you think the natives living here just casually invited us to take 1.5 billion acres of their property? Not really sure what you are attempting here, other than to amplify your ignorance.

That’s silly. So, what would you have done if you moved here from overseas?

Gosh if it weren’t for some ole white European gene guys fidgeting, my wokeness would be still in the dark in the morning as I went down to the river to get water to brew coffee over the open fire my wife was tending.
dear woke folks, would you rather still be in your fatherland and all it’s cultural grandness or be able to flick on switches for modern amenities like…for everything?
Yea, asking for a friend.

Eight Legger, it was disgraceful the way Native Americans, weren’t,treated better.
But the same could be said about African Americans and Asian Americans,
But to come up with “their land was stolen” - give it a rest.
In case you didn’t realize it, African Americans have been assaulting Asian Americans
because of Covid. Where’s your woke crowd regarding that?

Yes, as each ancient humanoid emerged from a cave, they should have stayed within a few miles of the entrance.

So devoid of reason, doesn't come close to passing the smell test.

Eight Legger, it was disgraceful the way Native Americans, weren’t,treated better.
The solution is simple we trade Manhattan for $24 in tomahawks and beaver pelts to whatever local Indian tribe wants it. For an extra $6 we sell them the rest of the state of New York. Only, no refunds and no returns. It will be their problem.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
You guys can laugh about it however you want, that's fine. But it doesn't change the facts. And people putting into proper context what ACTUALLY happened back then IS NOT "wokeness", CRT or any of the other ridiculous names you may try to give it. It's simply acknowledging factual history, nothing more and nothing less.

And to be clear, no, I'm not suggesting we who are alive now should feel guilty or responsible for that or that white people should hate their own race or any other crazy thing like that. Just acknowledge history -- real history.

Last edited:
So, there were about 35,000 native Americans in Virginia in 1607. There are about 8.5 million now. Millions abroad were literally starving. They had to immigrate. Why not allow them to come to this land for a better life? That this fair land of Virginia can support so many people is amazing.

I'll be over to your house later to claim it and all your property in my family's name. I assume you won't mind. Thanks in advance.
Counselor, really? The BLM people did just that... they demanded people leave their homes because the owners had infected the neighborhood with their white privilege.

So, there were about 35,000 native Americans in Virginia in 1607. There are about 8.5 million now. Millions abroad were literally starving. They had to immigrate. Why not allow them to come to this land for a better life? That this fair land of Virginia can support so many people is amazing.
The irony and hypocrisy here is so thick I can barely see. Aren't you the same guy with a 17-page thread with himself about illegal immigrants coming here and ruining our country??

"Millions...were literally starving. They had to immigrate. Why not allow them to come to this land for a better life?"

Gee, I wonder why so many people are trying to come here from Mexico and Central America... I'll give you three guesses. Throw the first two away.

Or do you only not mind illegal immigrants when they come from Europe?

(For the record, I am opposed to illegal immigration, so don't misinterpret.)

The irony and hypocrisy here is so thick I can barely see. Aren't you the same guy with a 17-page thread with himself about illegal immigrants coming here and ruining our country??

"Millions...were literally starving. They had to immigrate. Why not allow them to come to this land for a better life?"

Gee, I wonder why so many people are trying to come here from Mexico and Central America... I'll give you three guesses. Throw the first two away.

Or do you only not mind illegal immigrants when they come from Europe?

(For the record, I am opposed to illegal immigration, so don't misinterpret.)
http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/photoshop_images/Homeland_Security.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT