ADVERTISEMENT

The Quarterback Conundrum

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
While I'm really disappointed with Mike Rocco's play, I'm more frustrated that - to the untrained eye - there has been very little reduction of the playbook when we went from Strauss to Rocco. MR cannot make the throws MS can, period.

So what the hell do we do, moving forward? There isn't a coach in the country that would stay the course with a quarterback that had 4 touchdowns versus 11 interceptions.

Lord willing, Strauss will be available Saturday. If he isn't, do we go to Lauletta? This is the season, after all.

Some sleepless nights ahead for our staff.

He's still the nephew. It ain't gonna change. When a friend of mind (well connected with UVa) told me two years ago that Rocco was going to transfer to Richmond, I remember then getting a sick feeling in my stomach. Not because Rocco is a bad quarterback, but having a relative of the head coach transferring as a senior can only mean problems. Blood is thicker than rational thinking.

I believe Coach Rocco will be a much better coach after this year, assuming he has no other relatives coming here to play football.

This post was edited on 11/8 8:36 PM by SpiderRick

I hear you on all that. That said, if MR was playing good football, we'd be able to live with it. He's not playing anything resembling good football.

If he is under center next Saturday, it better be with a dramatically reduced playbook and about 25 carries for Fisher.

Originally posted by Anachnoid:
Radio today said Broaddus and abell available. So why burn the red shirt?
Because presumably, Lauletta is a better QB than either one of them and we are trying to make the playoffs.

Right. At this point, we may just need to buy one more week for Strauss. We lose to the Pukes, and the point becomes moot.

Who gives us the best chance to win Saturday? We have 22 seniors that want to play in December.

Even if Kyle is the best qb, he hasn't played. That's asking a lot of this young man, to burn his redshirt in game #11. Run the ball, try a few gimmick plays, and trust the defense (they didn't lose the game today). Who knows, with the playoffs being expanded, 8-4 could get in. Didn't New Hampshire get in a couple years ago at 7-5?

My 2 cents...it would be tragic to burn a year for a very good QB (if he is) in game 11.
If 22 seniors want to play in December, let them show some leadership and earn it.

A very obvious mistake to burn Kyle's redshirt at this point. A lot of talent on this team, make the best of what we have.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
While I'm really disappointed with Mike Rocco's play, .... MR cannot make the throws MS can, period.

So what the hell do we do, moving forward? There isn't a coach in the country that would stay the course with a quarterback that had 4 touchdowns versus 11 interceptions.
I do not understand why you are so negative....but then again,
I'm sorry. We have this board so self loathing Spiders can loathe the Spiders no matter how they play. I must have forgotten.

Watching Mike Rocco play the last few weeks makes me wonder even more why Danny took Strauss out in certain situations earlier in the year. Rocco clearly is a level below Strauss. It is frustrating to think that our coach is acting in self interest and not the interest of the team. There was no reason to bring Michael in and try to clear him to play last year. That still rubs me the wrong way after how Strauss performed after taking of over late in 2012.

Look you can put Rocco back in and he'll have 3 turnovers or more. Can we beat JMU with that? Plus Rocco as a fifth year senior isn't going to get any better in two games at least with the underclassmen we're building experience for next year. Because of Rocco's relationship with the head coach starting Rocco just looks bad (even if it's completely justified) It has certainly made me question Coach Rocco's judgment. What would we have done if Rocco hadn't transferred?

^^I think Lauletta would have redshirted last year and played this year if MR didn't transfer.

After all, he only played in mop up time in a few of the early games. Snaps that David Broadus or Montel White would have gladly taken.

did we not turn the ball over when MS was the qb? maybe we did not, but seems we have had TO probs all year. why does MO keep utilizing big words, that is the real question to be answered because we have no qb prob, we all know the answer to it.

32 Counter......."I don't see us losing to JMU next weekend no matter who plays QB,even Abell."

JMU has won 5 in a row and three on the road. And it is obvious their team is improving each week. Richmond has not played well without Strauss. Granted our defense has been improving.....great against Nova and played well enough to win at Maine. As for Rocco QB, how can anyone have confidence? Broaddus has had few chances, reminds me of John Laub and should be used. Abell's fourth quarter at QB vs Rhode Island was impressive. Before you say how bad RI is/was, they were not as bad as Elon and Rocco had 2 interceptions there.

QB situation is a very bad roll of the dice at this point. Guarantee you that Coach Rocco will start QB Rocco. The only question is whether QB Rocco has a breakthrough performance, luck, or Coach Rocco realizes that he has to go to an alternative early in the game if we fall behind.

JMU will move the football and score a bunch of points. Spiders get behind in this one spells "T". I 'd love to see Strauss back but will believe it when I see it. Coach Rocco is one stubborn coach!

This post was edited on 11/9 9:51 AM by LKNSPIDER

JMU gives up 437.5 yards per game, 11th in a 12 team conference. Regardless who QBs, don't turn the ball over and we should win.

Originally posted by KESpider:
JMU gives up 437.5 yards per game, 11th in a 12 team conference. Regardless who QBs, don't turn the ball over and we should win.
JMU gave up 274 yds. to W&M just last week.

I agree with moliva. Lauletta would be our quarterback, for better or worse (I'm guessing better) but he be well prepared for next year with at least two years of eligibility left but with a lot of experience. Elon and RI would have been beaten with anyone as QB. Nova was definitely a defensive win. If Lauletta had 4 interceptions against Maine we be wondering about who was going to step up or be recruited. Now we are in complete Limbo.

I didn't not see the Maine game but from what I have seen and what Bob Black has relayed Rocco has a horrible habit of throwing into coverage, we're not going to fix that in a week.

The playoffs start next week. Unless Strauss is available to at we need to go with the QB that gives us the best chance to win.

I think KL has the right to make the decision if he wants to burn his redshirt or not. If he does and the coaches think he is the best guy for the rest of this year then go for it.

I personally would rather see this season continue for a while and enjoy the next two years of KL at QB then worry about a season 3 years from now.

There are a lot of Sr's who have worked really hard for the last 4 to 5 years rebuilding this program that deserve the best shot of continuing the season.

I think Rocco's performance shows that we need a change notated who it is next week and beyond.

Hopefully it's Strauss but I'm not sure he will be able toget back at all this year. If he can't and one of the other QB's gives us the same chance or better than KL then start one of them. But from what I have seen KL is pur best option after Strauss. He appears to be the future and we need to consider that the future starts next week.

As much as we all think we know what is best for our team, the coaches are the ones who know and will decide. I still have faith in Coach Rocco and thus I support him. Many of these comments are well stated but only create controversy, I choose to support our coach and come ready to cheer against the Dukes on Saturday with faith that we can win!

MR issue is he doesnt read the defense nearly as good as Strauss. That is why he holds the ball too long and forces throws into traffic. He had the same issue at uva and also had a knack there to commit the killer turnover. I fully support DR, but I think to be a contender we have to have MS out there. Really hope he can go against Pukes.

The point was they held an anemic offense to only 50 yards below their average. If they do the same in our game, Spiders would still have well over 400 yards in O. Don't get me wrong, JMU can score, but struggle on D. Elon has better defensive stats that the Dukes.

"As much as we all think we know what is best for our team, the coaches are the ones who know and will decide. I still have faith in Coach Rocco and thus I support him. Many of these comments are well stated but only create controversy, I choose to support our coach and come ready to cheer against the Dukes on Saturday with faith that we can win!"

+1. Agree. Although at times we question it they want/need to win more than we do.

The point was they held an anemic offense to only 50 yards below their average. If they do the same in our game, Spiders would still have well over 400 yards in O. Don't get me wrong, JMU can score, but struggle on D. Elon has better defensive stats that the Dukes.
KE...Point is.....This is not the easy JMU home game that it looked like four weeks ago! Your first point was no turnovers and Spiders should win easily(?). Okay no turnovers and we beat New Hampshire! No turnovers and we beat Maine! Now forget the fantasy of no turnovers. Spiders have 12 turnovers in the last three games and average 400+yards. JMU averages 500 yds their last three games with only 3 turnovers in last six games.

No turnovers and this will still be a close game!!

Originally posted by spiderfan007:
"As much as we all think we know what is best for our team, the coaches are the ones who know and will decide. I still have faith in Coach Rocco and thus I support him. Many of these comments are well stated but only create controversy, I choose to support our coach and come ready to cheer against the Dukes on Saturday with faith that we can win!"

+1. Agree. Although at times we question it they want/need to win more than we do.
Well, break out the frekkin pompoms.

I guess if we offer up our own observations then that means we don't support the coach or the program. I have been among the Spider faithful since I was 10 years old and I'm 65 now. I don't bleed red and blue, but I have been known to cry over a football game. Give me a break, geez....

HEY Lynks - don't won't to get into a peeing contest. Think we are both right. Stats on both sides. Run the ball, eat clock, keep their offense off the field, avoid TOs, and we are fine. I'm happy. Hope you are too.

HEY Lynks - don't won't to get into a peeing contest. Think we are both right. Stats on both sides. Run the ball, eat clock, keep their offense off the field, avoid TOs, and we are fine. I'm happy. Hope you are too.
Amen....end of thread!

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT