ADVERTISEMENT

The challenges which lie ahead

Just the new trend unfortunately. I wouldn't be shocked if the staff already knew and have been preparing for it. With those losses come opportunities for other players in the program. In this new era, more important than ever to have a staff in place that can evaluate talent and find diamonds in the rough. Hopefully we gain more than we lose when this happens. Really need to work on getting graduate transfers from IVY/Patriot league teams. I actually worry a bit about Rocco at VMI killing that pipeline for us in the future.

Last edited:
Rocco can't tell kids where to go, nor can he prevent someone from going someplace he might not approve of.

And after four years at VMI, I think kids would be pretty darn sick of being told what to do.

Players like Nick and Bryson are critical to our program as not only are they excellent athletes but they bring passion and detest losing. Love both of these guys and expecting big things from both next year. Bryson was definitely limited in tackling with that cast on most of the year. Next year he will be like a heat seeking missile at safety. Nick has no fear and catches anything near him. This taste of success should push all Spiders to work extra hard this off-season and these two can both be great leaders and push others to do that little bit extra to get us even further next year.

Rocco can't tell kids where to go, nor can he prevent someone from going someplace he might not approve of.

And after four years at VMI, I think kids would be pretty darn sick of being told what to do.
I agree with some of what you're saying, but that's not at all what I am implying. They will have graduate transfers who have no home in a few years recruited by him and probably trust his word immensely that we could possibly be recruiting in a few years. He could absolutely steer some players away from here and is the type of person petty enough to do it. Imagine had RU and JH been considering UR (Assume Cosh isn't the OC) but Rocco was coach all these years. Its not far fetched to think something like that will happen down the line. Highly doubt they come here had Rocco been their coach and we didn't have the OC ties if he gives us a less than glowing review.

I’m not worried about Rocco. The CoVid bonus years trend will end soon. Danny won’t redshirt anyone so I’m not expecting tons of grad transfers. And lastly, he’s got to respect the HS coaches. If you’re perceived as holding a grudge and sending players to a less ideal spot, you’re going to lose the HS coaches and your recruiting pipeline. He’s not going to risk it. After all, if they aren’t at VMI why would he care where they go?

Although, he would care the most about screwing over Delaware that fired him. A kid going to UR helps that.

I assume the players entering the portal believe they may receive opportunities that they expect to be more attractive than staying at UR for another season(s).

Some moving up to a FBS, or BCS program, and maybe some moving down for more playing time at lower level FCS.

If they do not receive the offers they expect and wish to return to UR, does the program have a philosophy on renewing their scholarships, or is it a case by case decision?

Go Spiders!

I assume the players entering the portal believe they may receive opportunities that they expect to be more attractive than staying at UR for another season(s).

Some moving up to a FBS, or BCS program, and maybe some moving down for more playing time at lower level FCS.

If they do not receive the offers they expect and wish to return to UR, does the program have a philosophy on renewing their scholarships, or is it a case by case decision?

Go Spiders!
I believe we have 7 in the portal now. If I had to forecast their future, I'd guess:
  • 3 had planned to retire from football and move on, but figure why not fish a little and if a great offer comes about even gets them a master's or certification, what do they have to lose by going into the portal.
  • 2 will find they aren't getting the offers they hoped for or the grass isn't greener and will return. I think they'd be welcomed back.
  • 2 will find a new home.

Reactions: mojo-spider
I believe we have 7 in the portal now. If I had to forecast their future, I'd guess:
  • 3 had planned to retire from football and move on, but figure why not fish a little and if a great offer comes about even gets them a master's or certification, what do they have to lose by going into the portal.
  • 2 will find they aren't getting the offers they hoped for or the grass isn't greener and will return. I think they'd be welcomed back.
  • 2 will find a new home.

Not so sure about your point #2. Once they declare,they lose their scholarship altogether and all the bennies that go with it.Huesman et al have to now put together a squad for 2023 and beyond with existing members, staggering transfers and their remaining eligibility as well as incoming high schoolers.Waiting for the girlfriend to return doubtful to happen.Don’t see it happening.
UR can’t be in a position to provide a safety net for footballers that declare for the transfer portal.If we provide a safety net for 1 player and not another,chaos will reign.
It freezes out our ability to fill out an effective roster for 2023 and beyond.
Solving this puzzle is quite a challenge.

Last edited:
It is very challenging. If you do well, you have BCS teams picking off your top players. Obviously larger problems if you don’t do well. The system is designed by and to exclusively benefit the largest schools with the most money. The days of relying on developed veteran players is long gone.

Not so sure about your point #2. Once they declare,they lose their scholarship altogether and all the bennies that go with it.Huesman et al have to now put together a squad for 2023 and beyond with existing members, staggering transfers and their remaining eligibility as well as incoming high schoolers.Waiting for the girlfriend to return doubtful to happen.Don’t see it happening.

My understanding is the coaches have the right to pull their scholarship once in the portal and often do, but its not automatic nor required that they pull it. Further, even if a schollie is pulled, the student-athlete could be re-offered if they later choose to stay. I could be wrong, but it just feels like if a couple of these guys don't find a home and want to stay, we would keep them. Some coaches would never keep a portal kid because "they betrayed the team". I don't believe Huesman thinks that way.

Either way, I 100% agree this is a very complicated puzzle to solve.

Reactions: urfan1
My understanding is the coaches have the right to pull their scholarship once in the portal and often do, but its not automatic nor required that they pull it. Further, even if a schollie is pulled, the student-athlete could be re-offered if they later choose to stay. I could be wrong, but it just feels like if a couple of these guys don't find a home and want to stay, we would keep them. Some coaches would never keep a portal kid because "they betrayed the team". I don't believe Huesman thinks that way.

Either way, I 100% agree this is a very complicated puzzle to solve.

What happens if a transfer athlete doesn't get a new scholarship?

In a case where a player enters the transfer portal and doesn't find a new school there, he or she can decide to transfer elsewhere as a scholarship player or as a walk-on. The player is free to withdraw from the portal at any time. Or he/she can choose to enter the transfer portal some other time.
The transfer portal is sortable by different things like school, division, conference, name, and sport. And a coach can sort for student-athletes by the most recent players to enter the portal and save names to a "Transfer Watch List."
Usually, every entry on the transfer portal has a "Transfer Tracer," where coaches can find details about a player. There are no phone numbers for the student-athletes, only email addresses are available.
Like we mentioned earlier, as a player, you have the freedom to withdraw your name at any time. But, schools are under no obligation to keep you on a scholarship once you enter the transfer portal.

Like to hear how 32 and others view this:

Aren't the Spiders facing the same challenges as all other FCS (BCS teams) with the portal? Don't see how we are disadvantaged more than our FCS brethren. All face the same challenges.

Not a trick question, just curious....(plus we need more discussion on the FB Board).

rather be in red & blue than orange & blue, but wish him luck.

“Rarified air?” Is he referring to the post concert drift that must be stagnated, after all these years, over Cary Field from the “No Hassell Hall” concerts of the 70s and 80s? If that’s what it took, gosh, market it Coach!

Reactions: 32counter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT