ADVERTISEMENT

The challenges which lie ahead

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
A number of 5th- 6th year players are available to return if they wish.

Minimize transfer portal exits.I fear we may may lose 1 OL,at a minimum.

Keep Billy and Kelsey at UR with hefty pay package.

Keep most other coaches at UR.

Finalize Dec and Feb signings.

Raid transfer portal for seasoned players that can add to 2deep immediately.

Challenge is to make sure we replace Udinski,Herres and Henley with in-house players or seek same level players with transfer portal,

Last edited:
“Challenge is to make sure we replace Udinski,Herres and Henley with in-house players or seek same level players with transfer portal,”
Does VMI have anymore good players? We sure don’t have enough.

Know that transfer porter is the “new normal” and that Power 5 teams will raid the successful FCS teams. It sucks but comes with success. Hoping that most of the guys will choose to come back having hard a taste of the playoffs and knowing that we were close to making a deep run.

There’s a lot of good things going on with the program and an awful lot of talented players on the roster. Depth is always an issue and know that’s the biggest challenge.

Bottom line we are in a much better place than 12 months ago and there should be good reason for cautious optimism. Now time to win the recruiting battles at all levels.

This program is on solid footing. Our talent level is improving each year with recruiting and our staff has proven they can fill in pieces as needed through the portal. One thing we showed this year was excellent depth in regards to filling in players due to injury with no major drop in play. We still have positions we need increased depth but we have a lot of quality talent on the roster. The key will be how many return to use their additional year of eligibility and what freshman step up to play bigger roles. Winning and making the playoffs will only help in both of these areas.

Guys looking for Power 5 offers no doubt. Is just part of the current trend. Guess it all depends what comes their way.

Side note - seems that nearly every ACC QB is in the transfer portal.

Not my place to say if it’s right or wrong but for every transfer that works out there we certainly many that don’t. I hope the kids get good advice and know the risks.

According to his Twitter feed, More was offered by JMU, Georgia Southern, and New Mexico State within minutes.

Edit: Marshall and Arkansas State as well.

Last edited:
After the success Kobie had at Wake, it's hard to fault a young man that hopefully has his degree and wants to better himself. My son sent me a tweet earlier in the year that Kobie may be a late first round pick.
He would have been found at Richmond; however, I doubt he would have been looked at in that high of regard.
Not saying they are as talented, but you never know

I totally agree but it hurts to train and coach them up to a level that these players get to and their last year another school gets their best year. On the positive
side, we have great young talent ready to step up.👌🕷🕸

Reactions: mojo-spider
I totally agree but it hurts to train and coach them up to a level that these players get to and their last year another school gets their best year. On the positive
side, we have great young talent ready to step up.👌🕷🕸
Plus, we can add some transfers also to backfill some losses. It does suck, but that's college football today.

On a side note for Information, any of our future Graduate Seniors that get a degree from the Business School are not allowed a 5th year Graduate Degree scholarship from UR. That is a challenge we are having to keep those players a 5th year.

Totally, I have already voiced my displeasure with the Business School and President. No reply yet as to why this is in place !

My son met with Dean of the business school last year about getting his mba and staying for his 6th year.
The policy is to not allow any business school graduates into the mba program, however some transfers are allowed in.
Go figure

On a side note for Information, any of our future Graduate Seniors that get a degree from the Business School are not allowed a 5th year Graduate Degree scholarship from UR. That is a challenge we are having to keep those players a 5th year.
My son met with Dean of the business school last year about getting his mba and staying for his 6th year.
The policy is to not allow any business school graduates into the mba program, however some transfers are allowed in.
Go figure

ur79 - is that any grad program at UR or just the mba? Obviously almost all business undegrad would be interested in MBA only but just curious if they can even go for a different grad program. Mike - wonder what motivation is for such a policy, to get real world experience first? All a little odd at face value, let me now if u guys can expand on details.

Do not understand why players from other Schools can apply and get in but we do not allow our own athletes to get in this program😩

It’s the MBA program. The theory is to discourage students from not getting jobs and instead just staying in college (where they don’t have real world experience to cover the real world situations).

This issue goes away anyway after these CoVid years.

Do not understand why players from other Schools can apply and get in but we do not allow our own athletes to get in this program😩
World of academia is a unique beast. Best of intentions meets unintended consequences.

He was told that since he was a business school graduate, he wouldn't learn anything new. Was told he basically has his MBA.
He could have stayed and taken the HR masters program.
He decided to go to work.

He was told that since he was a business school graduate, he wouldn't learn anything new. Was told he basically has his MBA.
He could have stayed and taken the HR masters program.
He decided to go to work.
This is what I've heard also, ie there is so much overlap between the undergrad and grad business degrees that students get minimal incremental benefit from doing both. In fact, our business undergrads are encouraged to experience a different MBA for the sake of content and overall experience diversity.

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
Know that transfer porter is the “new normal” and that Power 5 teams will raid the successful FCS teams. It sucks but comes with success. Hoping that most of the guys will choose to come back having hard a taste of the playoffs and knowing that we were close to making a deep run.

There’s a lot of good things going on with the program and an awful lot of talented players on the roster. Depth is always an issue and know that’s the biggest challenge.

Bottom line we are in a much better place than 12 months ago and there should be good reason for cautious optimism. Now time to win the recruiting battles at all levels.
Huesman couldn’t win if the whole Alabama team transferred to UR.

• Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT