ADVERTISEMENT

The CAA

AnnapSpider

Graduate Assistant
May 8, 2003
Annapolis, MD
For several years the CAA says they are the FCS equivalent of the SEC.
With JMU gone, I don’t think so.
Anyone I’m mistaken?

Trade JMU out for MEAC and Big South teams and you sort of start becoming MEAC and Big South, relative to Big Sky and MVFC programs.

Sadly, not a big mystery.

And more MEAC and Big South on the way next year.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
William and Mary's pounding did a lot of damage to CAA rep. 5 invites just went to 4 or 3 next year. CAA's best win was Spiders' loss to SS.

Try playing in Montana in 7F weather at night.Let’s see how the waterboys do.

We learned a lesson back in 2000 in a playoff game v Montana during daylight hours on frozen tundra.

I was at this game. Our team really struggled with footing, theirs did not. Huge advantage for Griz and Bobcats to be playing on frozen fields in the playoffs. They are used to it.

Reactions: mojo-spider
This has been long time unraveling. UMass & UConn moving up (which has been a disaster). ODU starting football - and moving up - which has dramatically weakened UR & W&M. Hofstra & Northeastern dropping the sport. All the adds have been programs with out a lot of commitment or success (Elon, Towson, now Monmouth, Hampton, NC A&T). With Maine, Nova & W&M unable to replace longtime outstanding coaches. Before you even get to “at least we competed” approach of UR. It’s a mess.

JMU held strong and everyone else flailed around them.

So we’re definitely not the SEC. We had been the ACC with JMU as Clemson but now feels like we’re the PAC12 or Big12.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
I will say - I just don’t understand the desire to be the bottom feeders of FBS football. You spend more money with no postseason potential. At most you play a midDecember worthless bowl game where half the players & staff are gone? At least the FCS playoffs are exciting and each team brings their best. However, similar to the transfer portal, just because i don’t understand it, it hasn’t slowed down others moving to it.

We learned a lesson back in 2000 in a playoff game v Montana during daylight hours on frozen tundra.

Was my first thoughts as well watching that game last night.

Its clear that the power has moved to the midwest/west in FCS and when they have homefield advantage in the winter, makes it even harder to compete.
Solution...schedule home and homes with these teams and force them to come deal with our extreme heat in the summer. Win those games and get the benefit of the doubt for seeding late in the season.

If Delaware leaves we need to investigate banding together and starting A10 football with Villanova/Georgetown as an associate member and even the two NE schools. Id hate to not be in the same conf as WM, but we can always play them non-conference because outside Elon, WM and Hampton and Delaware don't really care about playing the other teams in the conference. Really wish Davidson and Dayton would upgrade to scholarships. Would make it very viable if we did.
Richmond, Fordham, Duquense, Dayton, Davidson, Georgetown, Rhode Island, Maine, UNH, Villanova.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTSpider

If I remember Spiders had to go to Eastern Washington one year for quarter finals (third playoff game, I do remember that) and it was about 4 degrees at kickoff (I could be wrong). Did not fare well in that one either. Not going to look it up, but 38-0 or something like that. It was the year Kevin Johnson burned his redshirt for the playoffs. I also seem to remember the players having their schoolwork on the plane for one of the games that year, due to studying for exams.

The key to a long playoff run is to play home games. The more you win during the regular season, the better your seed and the more you play at home in the playoffs. I know this team thinks back to that failed red zone trip at Elon and losing that last home game against WM. The FCS landscape currently is get a seed or plan to travel West quickly. Travel and the elements rather its cold or wet are at least a seven point advantage for the home team.

N. Dakota State and S. Dakota State are in the Missouri Valley Conference. Sacramento State, Montana State, and Weber State are in the Big Sky Conference. Both conferences are better than the CAA in football. Maybe having "State" as part of your school name helps your football program? Incarnate Word is in the Southland Conference.

Maybe having "State" as part of your school name helps your football program? Incarnate Word is in the Southland Conference.
It has a huge influence to also have state backing as opposed to private.
They said on the North Dakota State game telecast the other night they had 118 on the roster. 32 probably knows the exact amount, but as I remember Spiders started the year with around 85 counting the walk-ons. The Big Sky or MVFC have no private schools between the two of them. There is a reason only three private schools have won FCS national championships, but many of the conferences that contain them do have plenty of state sponsored schools, so that is not a huge factor.

Success breeds success I guess, since Big Sky and MVFC consistently have a couple of seeded teams each year it gets hard to argue. It also seems they are not having as many teams out west move to FBS as the east coast conferences. Every team that does move up then leads to 22 less players for the FCS pool each year.

Not making excuses, rather these facts just are what they are.

These states have no FBS teams which means the biggest and best you can be if you want to play in state is at an FCS school. Definitely helps in recruiting and prestige. Four of these states are home to CAA teams. (Alaska, Delaware, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Vermont)

ADVERTISEMENT