ADVERTISEMENT

Tech question

Annap, my apologies. The Rivals guys haven't been good on getting back to me lately with things. We're not a big site for them and they are all-hands on deck for NSD. Effectively, I'm not sure what the issue is.

When I load the site, topics that have unread posts are in bold, while threads where everything has been read is not, as you can see below. A new post has been made in the "One Game..." thread, but nothing new has been added to the Davidson thread. When I open a thread, it automatically scrolls to the first unread post. I stay signed in all the time and don't block cookies from the site. Not sure if that helps or not.

2qwn5w5.png

Anyone else not having the issue able to offer suggestions?

I would add the bold language indicates new posts in the thread. When you click onto the thread do so by clicking the small blue dot to the right of the avatar -- it will take you to the next new post

I had the problem of new threads not being bold for the first week or so after the update. But on IOS it seemed to work itself out. Could it be OS specific?

Try opening the site at the main page: https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/ rather than on one specific board. I open at this site on both desktops, laptop, and iPhone. I run Windows10 OS on desktop and laptop, and IOS on iPhone. The main page at the URL above always opens to me with the specific boards bolded and the word "NEW" when there is a post which I have not read. It has always worked this way for me. I have accessed the site several times from other computers in different locations and it continues to work this way.

Another suggestion would be that you try "following" the specific boards. You can do this by clicking on your Avatar at the top right and then go to "Preferences" and then checking the boxes which apply including "Automatically watch threads you create of when you reply." There are several other options under preferences you may also want to select.

You may also want to try clicking on your Avatar and going to "People You Follow" and adding specific people who you follow who post under each board which you wish to view or post. Also, try clicking on "Watched Threads" and "Watched Forums" under "Privacy" / "Your Accounts." All these preferences can be accessed by clicking on your Avatar located in the top right of any screen at this site.

If none of the foregoing works, I'd click on your Avatar at the upper right of the page and then go through each category and enable or click on whichever options you desire to be in effect on this board.

Please let us know if any of this works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiders05
My football message link continues to read that there are "new" or unread messages despite the fact that I have read every post and none remain in bold.
Does anyone else have this issue or know how to correct it?

Just a guess here, but do you have anyone on your ignore list? There might be unread posts by them that you can’t see.

Thanks for your help, but there were no surprise or new threads. I opened every one of them and then hit the "Back to Threads/Forum" and the "New" posts message is still there...and there are no new or bolded threads.

Thanks for your help, but there were no surprise or new threads. I opened every one of them and then hit the "Back to Threads/Forum" and the "New" posts message is still there...and there are no new or bolded threads.
Does the blue dot show on the initial page of the thread, by the thread name. If so click that on and see if it takes you to an unread post, sometimes the unread posts get passed over

Blue dot didn't work. Don't worry about it anymore. I'm going to see if I can fix it through my iPhone app. If that does work, I will just live with it.
Thanks for the time you and SF spent trying to help me.

Blue dot didn't work. Don't worry about it anymore. I'm going to see if I can fix it through my iPhone app. If that does work, I will just live with it.
Thanks for the time you and SF spent trying to help me.
The only other thought I have is there is an unread post buried somewhere in the chain. I had that happen to me on a thread several months ago and it took going back about 6 pages to find it.

Stumbled across a fix to the problem. Re-sorted all of the headings and found an article that I had not read. Things now working perfectly. Apparently, I had inadvertently re-sorted one of the headings in error about a month ago.
Thanks to all for their efforts and advice.

Reactions: SFspidur
I must have clicked on something. Two forums show that they have new messages
but when I open them there are no new messages?

sometimes the messages get out of order, check the order posted through your tools

When I go to the forum for Baseball and other sports it shows there are new postings
but I don’t see them In particular, lacrosse. I see where there was something posted
about last nights game, but it’s not in my list.

every now and then the order of the posts gets out of line. upper right corner the last posts, change them a few times usually helps you find the missing posts

every now and then the order of the posts gets out of line. upper right corner the last posts, change them a few times usually helps you find the missing posts
This is crazy. First I tried your suggestion about 12 times, maybe more, and didn’t do anything.
But, when you go to the page that shows all four forums, the last post shows under each forum.
I clicked on that, under the Baseball and Other Sports. which is about Paul Richards, asst. head lax coach,
the topic opens up. But, if I click on the forum title it goes right back to old entries.
Should I go to Rivals and ask them? Thank you

I have no idea what I’m talking about, but...
Do you have anyone on ignore?
If they start a thread does it say new thread but you can’t click?

Reactions: Spiders05
I have no idea what I’m talking about, but...
Do you have anyone on ignore?
If they start a thread does it say new thread but you can’t click?
Urmite, you are a smart techie and know more than you think you do. LOL :)
Seriously, your recommendation seemed to resolve the problem.
On the other hand, it means I can’t keep a person that I find not a pleasant, ignored.
Thank you.

Annap, my apologies. The Rivals guys haven't been good on getting back to me lately with things. We're not a big site for them and they are all-hands on deck for NSD. Effectively, I'm not sure what the issue is.

When I load the site, topics that have unread posts are in bold, while threads where everything has been read is not, as you can see below. A new post has been made in the "One Game..." thread, but nothing new has been added to the Davidson thread. When I open a thread, it automatically scrolls to the first unread post. I stay signed in all the time and don't block cookies from the site. Not sure if that helps or not.

2qwn5w5.png

Anyone else not having the issue able to offer suggestions?

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue. After reading the message board for years I decided to join so I could post. I picked Long Time Spider Fan and did not realize there was already a "longtimeSpiderfan" with no spaces. In order to avoid confusion and in fairness to that poster, is there a way I can change my name? A simple change like Long Time UR Fan would work unless someone else already has that as well.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue. After reading the message board for years I decided to join so I could post. I picked Long Time Spider Fan and did not realize there was already a "longtimeSpiderfan" with no spaces. In order to avoid confusion and in fairness to that poster, is there a way I can change my name? A simple change like Long Time UR Fan would work unless someone else already has that as well.
You will have to go directly to customer service. There is no authorization to ass at the board level. Look to contact us.

It looks like you should be able to change your own user name on your account details page, no more than once every 30 days.

Mr. Moderator, I remember suggesting years ago that the title for the “Other Sports” be changed.
At least to Baseball, lacrosse, and other sports.

Year after year our lacrosse program is one of the best in the country. Baseball- not so much…

Mr. Moderator, I remember suggesting years ago that the title for the “Other Sports” be changed.
At least to Baseball, lacrosse, and other sports.

Year after year our lacrosse program is one of the best in the country. Baseball- not so much…
Moderators don't have that ability and I don't think Rivals would do it because of archived thread issues.

Forum names can be easily changed with no ill effects, but it would take an administrator with the proper permissions to do it, which may mean someone higher up in Rivals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT