ADVERTISEMENT

Tech question

iSpider

Graduate Assistant
Dec 31, 2007
This and other boards often refer to "PMs" (private messages between posters on a message board). I believe that Rivals calls them "Conversations." I have recently been in a "conversation" with the moderator, and have spent a few hours trying to figure out, without success, if we on this board can have a private "conversation" with another poster on this board other than the moderator. My conclusion (which I am hoping is wrong) is that only the moderator can initiate a conversation with a poster on this board.

My question is have any of you been able to have such a PM or Conversation with another person on this board except with the moderator and initiated by the moderator and, if so, what steps did you take to initiate the conversation?

Input or suggestions from those of you who have any knowledge of this will be greatly appreciated.

Conversations appear to be limited to moderator-initiated on this board. I don't know if that's a Rivals requirement or something that can be changed. URFan1 is looking into it.

i, would suggest creating a new personal email acct and then asking the other poster to hit you there.

Reactions: iSpider
SF, thanks for the input. I asked URFan1 about it in a conversation with him and know that he is looking into it. I just thought with all the techies on this board, someone might have helpful information.
It would be a nice feature, though not essential.

In case you were wondering... No. I am not looking to have a private conversation with you.

i, you keep selecting pix of those who are vdu fans, still thinking.......

After I change to the antichrist, I have possible avatars that will make you think even more.
Do you think of 97Spider's avatar (Wade) is a coming out of the closet for a VCU troll?

not in richmond any long so did not even know that was wade, but since you brought it up, possibly..............really think i have you nailed even though you said you have met me. if you have then you used to post here as someone else......possible??

Nope. Never been anyone other than iSpider. I was a lurker for a few years before that, but since I joined this board and bought premium board access, I have always been iSpider.

Another tech question: Is there anyway to reply on one thread with a quote from a different thread other than copying and pasting?

Hit the +Quote button on the post you want to quote, head over to the other thread, and at the quick reply box at the bottom of the thread, hit Insert Quotes and it should pop up your selected quote for insertion.

Just paste the link for the tweet into your post. The forum software magically does the rest.

I have a tech question also. Since we went to this revised format the page jumps once or twice such that when I initially go to click on something the page jumps up or down and I end up clicking some other thread. Anyone else having this problem? Frustrating.

I have a tech question also. Since we went to this revised format the page jumps once or twice such that when I initially go to click on something the page jumps up or down and I end up clicking some other thread. Anyone else having this problem? Frustrating.

I also have this problem. The page is continuing to load things in even though the main contents is being shown. Usually it is related to the flash graphic ad banner at the top of each page. For the most part I have learned my patience for it, but it still gets me from time to time.

i, just below the title of the thread there is a box with the possibility to edit. Not so complicated, I just had not noticed it. OSC

i, just below the title of the thread there is a box with the possibility to edit. Not so complicated, I just had not noticed it. OSC
Thanks, Ulla. I never noticed it either and once spent an hour trying to change the spelling in the title of a thread I started.
Thanks also to the moderator for pinning this thread. Makes it easy for all of us.

I'm still trying to find out how to mark every unread message in a forum as being read.
We had this feature on the previous boards. Thank you.

Annap, I assume you are having this problem when accessing these forums from your smart phone. I had the same problem when I was accessing from a bookmark on Google. Once I downloaded the Rivals app, the messages already read were no longer in bold. The only problem I now have is placing the cursor where I want when I want to correct something that I have written before I post.

Annap, I assume you are having this problem when accessing these forums from your smart phone. I had the same problem when I was accessing from a bookmark on Google. Once I downloaded the Rivals app, the messages already read were no longer in bold. The only problem I now have is placing the cursor where I want when I want to correct something that I have written before I post.
Actually it's my IPad.
But on previous sites you could mark all of the unread posts, so if you don't want to read about Andrew White for the 100th time you could mark that thread as having been read.

Did you download the "Rival" app? It shouldn't matter whether an iPhone or iPad. It worked for me.

My OCD is having a really hard time dealing with no button to mark all threads in a forum as read. Any chance of getting that functionality back? It used to be available.

How does one post a clip from Twitter to our message board without going to YouTube and posting the entire video?
Is it necessary to download the YouTube video and then cut and trim it to capture the specific part of the video which one wants to post? If so, which free program is best to download for the purpose of cutting and trimming videos?
Also, as to composite pics on Twitter, how does one post the composite to our message board? I have been copying and pasting them, but have not been able to copy the composite pic or any of the pics other than the main pic on the tweet?
Does it matter if it is a retweet rather than an original tweet?

If you just post a link to the Tweet, the forum software automatically embeds it, so you get the video or the multiple photos.

If you just post a link to the Tweet, the forum software automatically embeds it, so you get the video or the multiple photos.

Thanks. I believe you told me that before, but I apparently forgot and was trying to copy and paste the image or post the url without using the "link" icon. I tested what you suggested and it works perfectly.

My OCD is having a really hard time dealing with no button to mark all threads in a forum as read. Any chance of getting that functionality back? It used to be available.
Did you ever get an answer? For some reason I'm not sure why, but our moderator doesn't seem to understand how annoying it is not to be able to mark all threads in a forum, as we have always been able to do in the past.

No, I haven't yet. Mainly I just go through and click on each of the pages of a thread, read/skim what I want (which is a lot of simply scrolling to the bottom and getting out on the basketball board lately). It can be time consuming. At least the election cycle is over, and there is less work clearing out the Off Topic Posts.

ADVERTISEMENT