ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Game Thread 11/21/2022

Time to break this losing skid. We get to face another team that exclusively runs zone defense. Let's hope we can figure out how to beat it.

Tip-off: 7:00 ESPN2; Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY
Syracuse Message Board: https://syracusefan.com/forums/syracuse-mens-basketball-board.2/
If it were as easy as just figuring out how to beat it, and beat it, Syracuse would never run this zone, right? Syracuse has beaten plenty of top five teams over the years with this zone. Let's not act like it shouldn't be that difficult for us to attack it and score on it. They recruit for it with length, and practice it more than anyone, so as a result, they will be really good at it. Is it beatable? Of course. Can we beat it enough to win? Yes, but we will need to be good from 3. I dont see a lot of success for us trying to attack the middle of it.

I like Nelson a ton, but I don't know if he can be effective against the Syracuse zone. difficult passes and tough to shoot over.
Dji was good in the high post. I think that's a really good spot for Bigelow against a zone too as he can shoot or drive there as well as pass. have Quinn moving block to block. Burton on the wing and Roche running corner to corner. Quinn on ball side block should keep the bottom outside defender tight so the Quinn side corner could be open especially from the high post.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
It would be nice if we could take advantage of the fact they are allowing 45% from three...

And they still have Northeastern tomorrow night before us...

I like Nelson a ton, but I don't know if he can be effective against the Syracuse zone. difficult passes and tough to shoot over.
Dji was good in the high post. I think that's a really good spot for Bigelow against a zone too as he can shoot or drive there as well as pass. have Quinn moving block to block. Burton on the wing and Roche running corner to corner. Quinn on ball side block should keep the bottom outside defender tight so the Quinn side corner could be open especially from the high post.
Agree and I think JayNel can still help us with Syracuse. Need his toughness and I think Zay fits in the high post as well. But we still have to knock down shots, have better than avg spacing against the zone and hopefully use Neals strength on the blocks. Roche has a quick release but as we've seen can't create his shot. Need to get him some early open looks and we can, we just have to pass & swing the ball better and quicker. Dji just has to be more assertive offensively when at guard. Last night was unique and is something they worked on after Matt was injured. When we see teams like Wichita we need our best athletes on the floor. It was clear in warmups that they were super athletic. This season will be a little bit of a roller coaster but I still love this team and think they can be successful we just need to clean up ball security and start making some shots.

Automated AP article doesn't understand that just because we're the home team in the matchup, it's not being played in Richmond.

Reactions: urfan1
Automated AP article doesn't understand that just because we're the home team in the matchup, it's not being played in Richmond.
Yes automation has its limits........................but found the concept of having Syracuse play in the Robins Center intriguing...................

Yes automation has its limits........................but found the concept of having Syracuse play in the Robins Center intriguing...................
It was a fun atmosphere the one time we did get them here. Unfortunately, the game did not exactly go our way.

Reactions: spider fan
Apparently the Syracuse area public transit folks think the game is being played there. Their parking lot shuttles are going to be awfully empty this evening. 🤣

Unfortunately - give our shooting woes, and difficulty with zone against lesser opponents - I think Syracuse wins this easily.

Our only chance is that Burton catches fire from deep and he gets help from Grace (if he plays) and will need Roche to hit some shots. Will also need Nelson to limit turnovers. If Goose can hit 1-2 threes - that would be a bonus at this point.

Syracuse 77 UR - 62

No Grace - No Bueno.

I don't expect much from Crabtree - but maybe his size and he can hit some shots, but I am not holding my breath.

Fair to say we need to hit 10+ threes to have a chance tonight. Something like:
Burton - 4
Roche - 4
Crabtree - 1
Goose -1
Randolph - 1
Nelson - 1

Preferably on no more than 36 shots.

Fair to say we need to hit 10+ threes to have a chance tonight. Something like:
Burton - 4
Roche - 4
Crabtree - 1
Goose -1
Randolph - 1
Nelson - 1

Preferably on no more than 36 shots.
Add 4 for Bigelow, so 12 combined for Tyler, Roche, and Bigelow, with 2 more and 14-36 as a team works.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Opponent: Syracuse --> Preseason 8th in ACC

"The Orange were incredibly hard to guard a season ago because of their collective ability to shoot the three, but a lack of length and athleticism led to defensive woes that kept Syracuse well off the NCAA tournament bubble. This year’s group likely won’t be as dynamic offensively without Buddy Boeheim and Cole Swider, but it should be far more well-rounded. Freshman guard Judah Mintz will have a lot on his plate sharing a backcourt with veteran Joseph Girard III, while other young players like Chris Bunch and Benny Williams should also help in Jim Boeheim’s 2–3 zone. A fully healthy Jesse Edwards up front is also a big reason for optimism."

Recent Results:
  • Lehigh - W: 90-72 --> Preseason 3rd in Patriot
  • Colgate - L: 68-80 --> Preseason 1st in Patriot
  • Northeastern - W: 76-48 --> Preseason 6th in CAA
Team Stats:
  • Points Per Game: 78 (110th)
  • Points Allowed Per Game: 66.7 (146th)
  • 2 PT Shooting: 52% (170th)
  • 3 PT Shooting: 39.2% (54th)
  • FT Shooting: 73.7% (93rd)
Key Player:

Joseph Girard
  • 18 PPG (T-Lead for team)
  • 48.1% from 3 (Leads team)
  • 87.5% for FT (Leads starters)
  • 25% from 2 (T-Worst on team)
  • 9 TOV (Worst on team)
Girard is not the top RPIM player on Syracuse, but he could be the one most likely to hurt us, with our 3 pt defending looking suspect. We must contain Girard to inside the arc to compete

RPIM's for Syracuse

PlayerRPIMRPIM/Game
Judah Mintz72.8924.30
Jesse Edwards70.0923.36
Joseph Girard60.2120.07
Benny Williams25.698.56
Symir Torrence25.358.45
Maliq Brown19.726.57
Quadir Copeland13.954.65
Mounir Hima10.633.54
Justin Taylor6.702.23
Chris Bell6.672.22
John Bol Ajak1.701.70
Peter Carey1.730.86

Syracuse has 3 players producing for the team in different ways. Girard from 3, Edwards on the boards, and Mintz from 2 and with Assists. This balance is tough to compete against, but I argue our attention should be focused on Girard and our ability to rebound. If we can keep rebounds generally close and contain Girard, I think we have a shot for the upset.

Add 4 for Bigelow, so 12 combined for Tyler, Roche, and Bigelow, with 2 more and 14-36 as a team works.
If we shoot 36's 3's tonight, we might as well stay in our hotel rooms. This team is NOT a good 3 point shooting team, so taking that many is insanity. Yeah, every once in a while we will get hot from deep, but that is a hope and a prayer and not sound strategy to win basketball games consistently.

Agree with Flyder…Girard is highly skilled and we for sure need to lock him down by keeping him from getting open looks and creating easy buckets.

Reactions: flyder19
If we shoot 36's 3's tonight, we might as well stay in our hotel rooms. This team is NOT a good 3 point shooting team, so taking that many is insanity. Yeah, every once in a while we will get hot from deep, but that is a hope and a prayer and not sound strategy to win basketball games consistently.
I disagree. If all 36 are by Roche and he hits 15 because Syracuse continues to dare him to shoot the entire game, that would be fine...
;)

Reactions: VT4700
Didn't say consistently shoot 36 3s every game. Talking about this game. Just agreeing with EL. They make you shoot 3s, and we will need to make a lot tonight. I don't like my chances inside against their zone with the usual tall, athletic guys they have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT