ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday's game sold out

I heard they announced the Loyola game as a sell out. Expect the same number of invisible fans. If you’re going to buy all these tickets, Queally, at least give them to a school group or some folks less fortunate who would love an afternoon out. Don’t just let them sit empty. That makes it worse!

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I heard they announced the Loyola game as a sell out. Expect the same number of invisible fans. If you’re going to buy all these tickets, Queally, at least give them to a school group or some folks less fortunate who would love an afternoon out. Don’t just let them sit empty. That makes it worse!
Don't give them to anyone less fortunate, those folks are already having a tough time. Give them to someone more fortunate who can handle disappointment.

I have no idea why we're back on this subject of moving on from Mooney inside of a year after winning a tournament game, graduating four 1,000 point scorers, and extending his contract thru 4 years after this one. it's not on the table. and it won't be on the table for at least 2 more years.
I get it, I said as much after last season, and am pretty much waiting to see if we can make a run in 24-25. I think it does say a lot about the discontent with Mooney so soon after an NCAA run. Probably has something to do with a way underachieving regular season last year followed up by the same this season.

I have no idea why we're back on this subject of moving on from Mooney inside of a year after winning a tournament game, graduating four 1,000 point scorers, and extending his contract thru 4 years after this one. it's not on the table. and it won't be on the table for at least 2 more years.
Just waiting for a total dumpster fire. Got it

Heading into Loyola Chi game we are 12-13 and 5-7 in A10 - both below long term 55 pct. We have lost 6 of last 8. No need to say more than these r not acceptable numbers unless you are a Mooney enabler. The buck stops at the top, and this is his team. No excuses.

I don't know why you would bring up our current record, when in the past 15 years in games played on Tuesdays against teams wearing grey, we are actually 12-4! But fine, go ahead and cherry pick to suit your bias...
How is our performance this season at home against teams that were in the MVC last season? ;)

Many of our fans are alumni so of course they support our program because they support UR. That will never change. This has no correlation to the fact that a majority of our fanbase would love a new head coach because they do, people aren't dumb, they see what a really successful program looks like because we have VCU in the same town as us. Again, why literally everyone I know and talk to, would love to move on from Mooney. I literally know ZERO people who are like yeah Mooney is such a great coach and leader of our program, with the exception of the same 3 people on this message board who proclaim that.

Anecdotally that is my experience too. But how many signatures did the “Petition Guy” get? Relatively small number I think.

Anecdotally that is my experience too. But how many signatures did the “Petition Guy” get? Relatively small number I think.
That's because the greatest majority of fans at the games are too old to care or too young to sign their names. Everyone else, sans the Mooney family and 2 others, signed.

Y'all that was the biggest Richmond sellout. There were a good 1000-1500 empty seats in the arena. The only game we really sell out is VCU. The whole look everyone supports the program and Mooney because we sell out a couple games is such an odd correlation to draw.

As others have said, this is cheap family entertainment, so that is a huge reason why our attendance is great. A family of four can got to a UR game for less than $50 with food and refreshments, name me one other event you can do like this for less than $50. There isn't one.

Many of our fans are alumni so of course they support our program because they support UR. That will never change. This has no correlation to the fact that a majority of our fanbase would love a new head coach because they do, people aren't dumb, they see what a really successful program looks like because we have VCU in the same town as us. Again, why literally everyone I know and talk to, would love to move on from Mooney. I literally know ZERO people who are like yeah Mooney is such a great coach and leader of our program, with the exception of the same 3 people on this message board who proclaim that.

And if we get a real coach and develop a really successful program, we will have real sellouts and won't be giving away tickets for pennies on the dollar to make that happen.
Comments like this might make you feel good, but are an example of why this forum had no credibility.

"A family of four can got to a UR game for less than $50 with food and refreshments, name me one other event you can do like this for less than $50. There isn't one."

I don't disagree with most everything else you said. But I rue the day it costs a family of four $200, $250 or more to attend a game. Affordability is not a negative.

"A family of four can got to a UR game for less than $50 with food and refreshments, name me one other event you can do like this for less than $50. There isn't one."

I don't disagree with most everything else you said. But I rue the day it costs a family of four $200, $250 or more to attend a game. Affordability is not a negative.
I agree that affordability is a key element to why the RC has a family atmosphere. It is the reason that I started to bring my family to games and one of my children ended up graduating from UR, so I think that worked out in the University’s favor……

The point isn't that affordability isn't good - it's that it's the sole reason for the sellouts., not because the play of the team is exciting enough to fill the arena on the regular. If UR was regularly selling out at full price and then had a deal day, the demand would then far exceed the availability, instead of just meeting it, only to have a bunch of no shows. I know when I was watching the game on TV all the angles that showed behind baskets had multiple empty rows of seats.

The point isn't that affordability isn't good - it's that it's the sole reason for the sellouts., not because the play of the team is exciting enough to fill the arena on the regular. If UR was regularly selling out at full price and then had a deal day, the demand would then far exceed the availability, instead of just meeting it, only to have a bunch of no shows. I know when I was watching the game on TV all the angles that showed behind baskets had multiple empty rows of seats.
This is BS. Affordability is not the sole reason fans are going to Spider basketball games. A vast majority of mid-major programs have promotions to fill seats, but their stadiums still look empty. Also, any sellout is going to have empty seats. We have a lot of season ticket holders and most can't make every game.

Last edited:
This is BS. Affordability is not the sole reason fans are going to Spider basketball games. A vast majority of mid-major programs have promotions to fill seats, but their stadiums still look empty. Also, any sellout is going to have empty seats. We have a lot of season ticket holders and most can't make every game.
And they all sit in the same rows and miss the same games? What a coincidence.

Nice spin. Nowhere did I say affordability is the sole reason fans go. I said that it was the sole reason for that sellout. Honestly, I could be wrong, but I took the promotion and sell out combo as evidence that was causation for the sellout. I didn't research though, But I saw rows of empty seats on tv, no denying that.

Also, what other teams do means nothing to be. It has no bearing on UR. But you spun it anyway to fit your narrative, without any shred of evidence to back up your statements. So I'll call BS on you.

We have plenty of fans to get 4k+ to any game. Do we have 7100+ fans or whatever the RC holds, on the regular? Affordability boosts that, which is fine, but again, the point is that many here, myself included, believe that winning a lot - consistently - very key word! - is far healthier to program attendance. One offs help games with lagging sales - that's totally fine! - but shouldn't ever be the only reason for a full house.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Nice spin. Nowhere did I say affordability is the sole reason fans go. I said that it was the sole reason for that sellout. Honestly, I could be wrong, but I took the promotion and sell out combo as evidence that was causation for the sellout. I didn't research though, But I saw rows of empty seats on tv, no denying that.

Also, what other teams do means nothing to be. It has no bearing on UR. But you spun it anyway to fit your narrative, without any shred of evidence to back up your statements. So I'll call BS on you.

We have plenty of fans to get 4k+ to any game. Do we have 7100+ fans or whatever the RC holds, on the regular? Affordability boosts that, which is fine, but again, the point is that many here, myself included, believe that winning a lot - consistently - very key word! - is far healthier to program attendance. One offs help games with lagging sales - that's totally fine! - but shouldn't ever be the only reason for a full house.
"No shred of evidence in your statement" How about the highest attendance of any school our size in the country or 3 highest in the A10 despite being one of the smallest schools.

It is also great great to have an expert comment on attendance at the last sellout who watched the game on TV. The game was electrifying. It was very exciting to be there just like todays game will be.

Almost no tickets left for todays game on Stubhub. If you want 2 tickets it will be $86 per ticket.

There r a solid % of any fanbase that will support whoever the coach is, they’ll support the next one just as much. We might have more of that type at U of R idk only my sense. But it’s naive to think the very Pro Mooney crowd doesn’t exist at all. They don’t run in my crowd & I think it must be very small. But it has to exist to some level. & then when I see the “Petition Guy” get a relatively small qty of sigs, and the Billboard lasting all of 24 hours - and I realize there r other factors in play for both - but I think and someone else could reasonably surmise well maybe it’s a little bigger # than thought.

ESPN gives us 85% chance of winning. The Spider curve (subtract for being sold out, subtract for national TV, and subtract for Mooney’s abilities) leaves us with 17% chance of winning.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
If it's the sole reason for sellouts, then almost every other school in the A-10 would be selling out as well. Do you think GW or GMU or La Salle or Duquesne, etc., charge top dollar? Of course they don't.

Sellouts indicate there is interest in our program, no matter how much some of you here try to diminish them. And they certainly beat playing in from of 500 friends and family, like GW did the other night.

As I have said, it's Mooney's job to win games. It's marketing's job to sell tickets and fill the Robins Center. They are totally different animals.

Do I wish the team was exciting enough this year to fill the RC on its own? Of course. But the fact that marketing is doing its job when Mooney isn't, filling the place when our team is not winning or exciting enough to sell 7,000 premium tickets, is to be applauded. Especially by a message board that regularly complains that Robins Stadium is half-empty.

There are probably 150 or 200 college basketball programs that would kill to have the sellouts some of you regularly denigrate.

Last edited:
Sellouts indicate there is interest in our program, no matter how much some of you here try to diminish them. And they certainly beat playing in from of 500 friends and family, like GW did the other night.
The marketing department is walking on thin ice. Even a person who isn’t a marketing expert knows that the “sell out” is trying to pitch that you are missing something by not being in attendance. But then when it is easy to see that the place is not full on TV it really makes you wonder.

Then you have the same marketing people putting out on social media that it is a “Sell Our Saturday”. Yep that instills confidence that they are on top of it alright.

As far as season ticket holders not being able to make every game, sure that happens. But why can’t they find anyone to take their seats?

I love it when the RC is full and UR obviously does a better job than many in the A10, but unfortunately still in the “second tier”.

Go Spiders!

For sure, kudos to the marketing staff for putting lipstick on this pig and selling/giving away every seat two weekends in a row. Some are free Kids Club tickets and others are $5 promos that they have staggered over a few games with a bunch of elementary schools and youth leagues in the region. Smart. That's what they should be doing.

The point here is that throngs of people are not rushing out to see a 12-13 team that has gone 1-5 in it's last 6 games because of how great it is or as some sort of referendum on Mooney's coaching ability. They're going because it's something fun to do on a budget.

Almost no tickets left for todays game on Stubhub. If you want 2 tickets it will be $86 per ticket.
My friend just sold his tickets for $36. That’s actually pretty good. But warning, don’t believe everything you hear.

"No shred of evidence in your statement" How about the highest attendance of any school our size in the country or 3 highest in the A10 despite being one of the smallest schools.

It is also great great to have an expert comment on attendance at the last sellout who watched the game on TV. The game was electrifying. It was very exciting to be there just like todays game will be.
again with your own spin on my comment - the evidence I'm asking for is the other mid-major teams attendance figures you're using to prop up your argument. Read your 10:15 post and read the second sentence with is IMO purely speculative. I actually don't even care about his thread comparative to more pertinent ones, such as why UR's offense can't make FGs the last 7 minutes of games and stuff like that, so whatever you want to say, sure great, you're a billion percent correct.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
The point here is that throngs of people are not rushing out to see a 12-13 team that has gone 1-5 in it's last 6 games because of how great it is or as some sort of referendum on Mooney's coaching ability. They're going because it's something fun to do on a budget.

And I never said it was a referendum on Mooney's coaching. Our W-L record is. It's marketing making the best of a bad situation and getting butts in seats in a poor year.

You sound as if you'd be happier if the place was half-empty. The fact a seat is empty does not mean it isn't sold; sometimes people have conflicting plans and can't attend. And every seat that is sold creates more revenue than one that isn't.

Here is a link to the official A-10 stats on attendance. We rank 4th.

Reactions: MrTbone
Nobody should be complaining about sellouts and attendance.

Similarly, nobody should hold up attendance as a referendum on our program health or coaching success.

Maybe we could move on from this topic. I’m gonna try.
So true. But the people doing #1 are the same folks who claim there are people saying sellouts prove our coach/team is having a good season. And I have not read that at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT