ADVERTISEMENT

Summer League?

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Seems these are becoming less prevalent, I know Richmond used to have league run/sponsored by Ben Wallace. Used to be a good one in Durham, NC. Swish league in San Diego still has participation from SDSU players.

Anyone know if we have players planning to play in any leagues? I know private training is the thing now. But seems to me like that only prepares you so much - nice to be able to apply those skills in real games situations - against competition other than your teammates. Spiderdad, any knowledge of summer plans for the players?

I feel like Justin Harper going to big man camp in Boston is a clear example of a player getting outside the "web" and really improving and expanding his game. Added post moves and scoring inside to his solid outside shooting.

Curious as to what occurs in Richmond and beyond outside of the program structured workouts etc

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I was actually just thinking about the possibility of a preseason foreign trip. I believe our last one was in 2016 and you're allowed to go once every four years, but obviously COVID messed that up. Not sure where the university/program are in terms of comfort level planning something like this for this summer. Seems like it would be a good chance for bonding with the new guys and to get a few games under their belts.

Loyola just announced they're heading to France.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Just saw that too, almost started another thread and then saw you posted here. I couldn't remember when we went last. This would really really be a good year to have such a trip. Lot of new faces, but IMO we should still have very high expectations. Start getting those passports expedited.

I remember in 2016 they had to make a late schedule change after the Bastille Day truck terror attack in Nice. Decided it might not be the best idea to be spending time in France.

If I remember correctly I think the summer leagues ended several years ago. In terms of foreign trips we were supposed to go to France Djis Fr year but obviously we didn’t bc of COVID. The summer league in Durham was one of the best but a lot of guys started picking up injury’s. Dexter Strickland is one I remember off hand. Can’t remember why those were shutdown whether injuries or NCAA related.

I think I remember Deion telling me freshman year that they had gone to Italy and played there, sounded pretty cool

This was the 2013-2014 team, btw. Believe from that pic that freshmen must not have been allowed to go on the Italy trip, so missing Shawn'dre, Josh Jones and Tim Singleton. Is that Brothers in the pic tho? He would have just graduated that spring, so it's a bit confusing. Otherwise, a roster full of good players that never quite gelled perfectly for whatever reasons. Had expunged from memory that this was the 2nd year of a home and home with Ohio U where we lost both. Team also played UNC, Florida, Wake and Minnesota that year. I was at the VCU drubbing at Barclays in the A10, were never in that game, was awful. But those jerseys! Cmon, we need these.

Well the timeline matches up there. My freshman year was during the 2012-2013 season

Really think it would be beneficial for guys to play in the offseason, in addition to skill workouts. I know summer leagues are still allowed, as the one in San Diego occurred last summer and is set for this summer. I'm sure some of these are not the most organized, etc. but some can provide some good competition.

Would be great if the TBT team of Spider alum could come back and have some runs against the current guys. Anyone know if that may occur, or do the guys go to open gyms with other college guys in RIchmond for the summer? I would think if the guys could play with and against the TBT team a couple times a week it would be a good run.

Really think it would be beneficial for guys to play in the offseason, in addition to skill workouts. I know summer leagues are still allowed, as the one in San Diego occurred last summer and is set for this summer. I'm sure some of these are not the most organized, etc. but some can provide some good competition.

Would be great if the TBT team of Spider alum could come back and have some runs against the current guys. Anyone know if that may occur, or do the guys go to open gyms with other college guys in RIchmond for the summer? I would think if the guys could play with and against the TBT team a couple times a week it would be a good run.
I agree...I'll put my ear to the ground and see what I hear. Having the alums come back to play with team is always a plus in my book and helps build your program.

There is a summer league in the region. Looks like a bunch of college and pro guys, including DeMonte Buckingham and Hyland are playing in it. Jon Axel Gudmundsson (ex of Davidson), Kenny Williams (ex UNC) and a bunch of others. SDJ’s pic was used in one of the posts but I don’t see his name on a roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT