ADVERTISEMENT

Summer League: Gilly to Warriors, er, Timberwolves & Golden to Hawks

"Gilyard, a 5’9″ point guard, was expected to join the Grizzlies on an Exhibit 10 contract, so that now move is now official. The 24-year-old suited up for the Warriors’ Summer League team at the California Classic earlier this month and then played for the Timberwolves in Las Vegas. He struggled with his shot, making just 5-of-18 field goal attempts (2-of-13 threes) across six games at the two events, but it appears the Grizzlies view him as a promising developmental project."

Anybody know how many cuts coming before they finalize full time roster? Also, does this mean he will almost certainly go to the G League if he doesn’t make their NBA roster?

They’re at 20 now and have to get down to 15. And yes, their intention is certainly that he will play for the Hustle in the G League.

Congrats and good luck Grant!

Little bit OT, but jeez these low life VCU fans who have to comment negatively on these tweets. I mean he's graduated, he just signed pro, do they have to go there. I mean if it was in season stuff I get it. And it's the internet ok but I really can't see a U of R fan doing that to Vince Williams or Bones.

Congrats and good luck Grant!

Little bit OT, but jeez these low life VCU fans who have to comment negatively on these tweets. I mean he's graduated, he just signed pro, do they have to go there. I mean if it was in season stuff I get it. And it's the internet ok but I really can't see a U of R fan doing that to Vince Williams or Bones.
Do people use twitter? What are some of the replies?

Gilly got 19 minutes in tonight’s preseason game, went 0-1 from the floor but had two boards and an assist.

Reactions: spider23
Twice as many rebounds as assists? I bet that only happened a handful of times in his whole college career lol. He did also get a steal but had three turnovers.

Reactions: plydogg
Ignore the spamminess of the vid, but clips of the Gilly's involvement in the last game. Couple of good looks from three that just wouldn't go down. The turnovers weren't great...two kinda bad ones where I think the longer and faster NBA guys took away gaps that would have been there in college, while the third was kind of forcing things in traffic.

the one turnover at the end of the quarter - Gilly has to look to take the shot himself with that little time on the clock. Gotta stop being deferential all the time. 1 shot in 19 minutes is not gonna cut it.

LOL, I didn't even realize at first watch that the two threes I saw him take were the same clip duped. I thought they were just similar plays. :oops:

Neither Grant nor Kellan Grady saw the floor for the Nuggets tonight.

Grant was here in Chicago, I noticed DNP. Is this usual for guys like Gilly and Grant? Or are they expected to eventually get some PT?

The Nuggets have waived Golden, and he's expected to play for their G League team in Grand Rapids.

I know Gilly and Grant had all most no chance of making the team, but it's still disappointing that both of our guys got waived. Look forward to following both of them in the G league.

Interestingly, Grant appears to be on the bench (okay, in warmups on the end line in the overflow bench area) tonight. Guess they're allowing him to be there for experience since he's still going to be with their G League affiliate.

I think more and more guys are going the G-League route than Europe these days simply because of the call ups you can experience during the season. One or two injuries or a trade here and there, and next think you know - you got a 10 day contract in the NBA. I think the average G-League salary is about 40K (and remember - they take taxes out of that). But if you get called up to the NBA - just for 10 days, you can make over 50K - so basically double your salary AND get NBA exposure in those days.

If your in Europe - you will certainly make more money, but you NBA dream will be put on hold until the following season most likely.

So I think this is a good route for kids these days to get called up and make the league. Congrats to Golden and Gilyard.

So here's why Grant was on the bench last night...they re-signed him yesterday. Not clear why they waived and re-signed him, but maybe for a different deal structure? Either way, still expected to end up in the G League.

So here's why Grant was on the bench last night...they re-signed him yesterday. Not clear why they waived and re-signed him, but maybe for a different deal structure? Either way, still expected to end up in the G League.

they didn't want to pay him for the weekend. ;)

• Haha
Grant got in a game for the first time last night, but it was only for the final minute as the Nuggets had to call a timeout to get him in due to no dead ball opportunities coming.

ADVERTISEMENT