ADVERTISEMENT

Summer League: Gilly to Warriors, er, Timberwolves & Golden to Hawks

Gilly was one of only 5 of the 11 undrafted players played in all 3 games, although guards Willis and Quinones got a lot more minutes. He seems to be off to a pretty good start.

With Kuminga back and Wiseman and Baldwin potentially getting cleared, Gilly may feel like floor time will be tough to come by. And he's already made his impression on the Warriors, so if the TWolves want to have a look at him, seems like a smart move.

Reactions: UR80sfan
With Kuminga back and Wiseman and Baldwin potentially getting cleared, Gilly may feel like floor time will be tough to come by. And he's already made his impression on the Warriors, so if the TWolves want to have a look at him, seems like a smart move.
I agree with your comments. It definitely seems like it was Gilly's decision. I wonder how the process works of switching teams? If the Warriors found out he was looking at switching, while still on the team, it probably would have hurt his playing time.

Hopefully the way it went down is that the Timber Wolves' scouts watch the SF summer league games and liked what they saw in Gilly and then approached with to switch teams.

Last edited:
I think McClung will make a roster this year and Warriors would be a good one. He could be a good 2nd unit guy - who can score when needed.

Interesting. Article says per diem, I’ve always known that as per day in my work lol. Guess summer league is different
They get a per diem to cover travel, meals, hotel PLUS $1500 for the 12-day period. It ain’t much but they’re getting the chance to showcase which is what the UDA guys all care about.

Reactions: spiders13
They get a per diem to cover travel, meals, hotel PLUS $1500 for the 12-day period. It ain’t much but they’re getting the chance to showcase which is what the UDA guys all care about.
Some but not all meals are provided as a team, and anything outside of that has to come out of the $125/day per diem. But yes, travel and hotel are covered separately by the team.

Players receive a total of $1,500 in per diem during the 12-day league. Teams can distribute that cash in one complete payment upon arriving in Sin City. Some choose to provide the funds on a daily $125 or bi-daily $250 basis. Many players will eat their private meals at cheaper fast-food chains like the In-N-Out on UNLV’s campus in order to pocket more cash. As Cooley mentions, each team is housed within luxurious hotels and every player is granted his own room, typically priced at $115 per weeknight and $210 on weekend evenings. The Rockets have often stayed at the Golden Nugget, which is conveniently a property of their new owner Tilman Fertitta. It’s standard practice to provide two team meals per day, breakfast and lunch can bookend morning practices and shootarounds.

That was a pretty god awful game to watch. Out of control both ways for what felt like most of 48 minutes.

Do they have some work outs too? Hopefully Gilly and Grant get a little more run coming up. I heard a sports show talking about a team , possibly Minnesota and saying the summer league team was made up of their G league team.

McClung has always been a full-time highlight reel.
He has, but his best thing going for him is his crazy vertical leap. Not sure at 6'2, how much that really matters in the NBA, especially when he is not a PG at that size. I won't count him out, and good luck to him, but it will be tough for him to stick around. He has improved his 3 point shooting, which is a must for him to have a chance.

Grant’s prospects aren’t looking terribly good given the PT he’s (not) getting.

Hope he gets at least a little run somewhere.

Reactions: urfan1
Nice! One year minimum salary contract, but not guaranteed. Bonuses available if they get waived and end up signed to their G-League affiliate and can be converted to a two-way contract.

So no guarantees of anything, but a good sign that teams still see potential in him and it’s an opportunity to continue to show what he can do.

Is it now a 1-to-1 situation of NBA teams to G-League affiliates, or do some teams split affiliates? And can teams sign guys from others' affiliates or does there have to be done kind of trade for that to happen?

ADVERTISEMENT