ADVERTISEMENT

Student loans, a problem?

forget the numbers but think i heard that outstanding student loans ranks #1 on our debt list. think they are attempting to go after all of these start-up for profit, online schools which get the majority of their money from govt loans and don't give a hoot if the student finishes or pays off their responsibility. there are a ton of these new schools and they live off the govt and are mostly a sham. when i utilized student loans way back, had to do all the work myself, the school was not involved at all, other than receiving the funds so not sure how responsible they can be if i chose not to repay, not sure if this is where they should be looking in attempting to solve this problem.

It's definitely a problem that needs to be addressed, though I'm not sure this will do the trick. As Spinner says, the for-profit schools are a huge part of it. If you look at what most of them offer, they're basically community colleges at 2-3x the cost (and with worse employment prospects in many cases). Maybe this legislation would put enough of a financial squeeze on for-profits to change the way they do business, but in the short term at least, I think it just raises costs across the board at schools with a high default rate in order to offset the penalties. These schools feed off of easily-obtained federal student loans, so I'd prefer a plan that reevaluates the criteria for federal student loan eligibility at these schools.

As it currently sits, a certain percentage of the cost of attendance for all students has to come from non-federal sources in order for schools to be eligible for federal loans under Dept. of Education requirements (whether that be students or their parents paying tuition, institutional grants in aid, scholarships, private loans, etc). Some of the worst offending for-profits will cover this gap with private loans issued by the school itself, on which they anticipate and plan for very high default rates (when I worked on research into this issue a little over a year ago, I think some expected default rates were over 50%). For these schools, it is worth it to cover the defaults on a high number of these institutional loans in order to keep the much more significant federal student aid flowing into their coffers. The [likely 18-22 year old, financially unsophisticated] student borrower takes the hit in order for the school to maintain its [taxpayer-funded] profitability, even though the school wasn't expecting to be paid back in the first place. If this doesn't sound like predatory, high-risk lending I don't know what does. Maybe this proposed bill will help change that practice if the penalties end up being too costly, but I think the underlying problem with for-profits likely goes deeper than that.

Ryland, looks like you have some background on this issue. From my observation you are right on point. I am aware of one young lady with LD, barely got a HS degree, her family wanted her to go to "college" and she pushed until she found a for profit school to admit her. The degree program was a "technical" one, but really a joke. Not much more than very basic entry level, the family proudly showed me some of the work she had performed and it looked to be on an elementary level. Then of course, even after graduating with a high GPA she couldn't get even an entry level job. For her efforts she ended up with roughly $9K in loans, carrying a high interest rate, for a 15 month program, no job, disappointed, loss of self esteem and a bitter taste in her mouth. Of course the school continues to tout how well prepared their grads are.

I spoke to another person that taught at a similar school for one semester, she was told no student could receive less than a B. Realizing the school was a joke the individual asked out of their contract for the second semester.

I think one of the most fascinating things about federal student loans is that if one is to declare bankruptcy, that person is no longer held responsible for paying any of their obligations… EXCEPT federal student loans. So… It's a pretty remarkable system as it currently stands. I am curious why that particular loan type is held so sacred.

And some people say the government never gave them anything!

used them myself and feel they are an aid but just like fannie and freddie, anytime the government guarantees something, it can lead to a huge cluster fuc&&. would not be surprised to see a blanket amnesty given to erase all the debt for these young people, thus providing them with a life lesson.......duh

I've got a daughter in high school and I told her that I am not paying any more for a year of college than the job she hopes to get will pay her. I'm not sending her to Wake Forest to become a kindergarten teacher. If she wants to be a surgeon, then we can talk about it. I think people fall in love with the idea of going to college and don't give enough thought to the end game. You've got to make smart choices and with a couple exceptions amassing debt is never a good thing. There was an article in the RTD about a year ago about a girl from Baltimore who was attending VCU and paying out of state tuition. She was very proud to be the first person in her family to graduate college, but she was going to have about $100,000 of debt. FROM GOING TO VCU. She was studying to go into social work. She will never, ever pay off that debt. It will haunt her for the rest of her life. Not a good decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT