ADVERTISEMENT

Stevenson Brothers to the UR HOF

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Awesome news! You would think that since we are inducting Jarod, we would reach out to him about his 5-star son, which we had not done as of a month or so ago (but hopefully that has changed). It may or may not be a longshot that he would come here, but as I mentioned a few months back, the family would be very receptive to the consideration.

Last edited:
Ridiculous if we aren't even trying, but there's no way he'd be a Spider. He's a top 25 recruit and pretty much every program in the country wants him. I don't care how deep the family ties run, he ain't coming to UR.

That said, you still have to make the effort. I'm not saying we invest a ton of time in him, but start by making contact.

Maybe the induction will be the start of our full-court press on Jarin. :)

In the age of the transfer portal - you recruit him until he chooses another school and then you congratulate him and wish him luck. Build the relationship - if he goes somewhere and doesn't get playing time or the team doesn't win, then maybe you got a shot when/if he transfers.

maybe Jarin comes to the cermony and loves the place. introduce him to the team. maybe get him in a pickup game.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Right, I wouldn't expect him to land here either, but the family has basically been wondering why we weren't at least reaching out. I hope that's been rectified by now. There are some serious UR ties there, so what does it hurt to try? If it were a regular 5-star kid, I wouldn't waste my time unless he went to Freeman HS or St. Chris or something. But this is different.

Reactions: KWeaver and urfan1
but the family has basically been wondering why we weren't at least reaching out
EL, I have not been following this recruitment - has this been written/published in regards to Jarin? If so, crazy.

I know I did indicate on another thread that I think our staff may be having more success in comparison to our big strikeout in earlier years - by focusing on guys in the 150-250 ranking range and not burning resources on the very top guys. Still agree that is poor ROI for us, at least with Mooney at the helm.

But come on, we have to at least put out a strong effort on this guy. Not saying send two coaches to sit at every game , but let him know he is wanted. Agree with trap, never know if we get someone later via porta.

Congrats to the Stevenson brothers!

Ps bring back the Spiders cursive script as seen on the shorts in Jarod's unc game picture from UR website story. Have long advocated for it's return. Cool pic btw had never seen that one.

mom went to UNC and UNC has made him a priority. I'd have a hard time with a straight face saying he should come here over UNC. but yes, you roll out the red carpet if only out of respect for his dad and uncle.
His dad and uncle were both stud players here, if ever we had an inside connection this would be it. Also, as his dad and uncle can probably relate, they could have both gone to BCS schools, heck Greg did, but they both became all timers at UR. Unless this kid is the next Jordan, I doubt he goes into the all timer list at a place like UNC.

Awesome news! You would think that since we are inducting Jarod, we would reach out to him about his 5-star son, which we had not done as of a month or so ago (but hopefully that has changed). It may or may not be a longshot that he would come here, but as I mentioned a few months back, the family would be very receptive to the consideration.
Dammit! Now you ruined the surprise...
He is signing the LOI during the HOF ceremony...

His dad and uncle were both stud players here, if ever we had an inside connection this would be it. Also, as his dad and uncle can probably relate, they could have both gone to BCS schools, heck Greg did, but they both became all timers at UR. Unless this kid is the next Jordan, I doubt he goes into the all timer list at a place like UNC.
he's ranked #20 in the country.

Maybe forgo Gipe and Moon can visit in person on this one from the jump.

Agree that you go full on even if you think he's going to UNC. Greg didn't follow Jarod to UR initially but when Penn State wasn't his ideal spot, he came to UR. The portal makes everyone a possibility if even down the line.

EL, I have not been following this recruitment - has this been written/published in regards to Jarin? If so, crazy.

I know I did indicate on another thread that I think our staff may be having more success in comparison to our big strikeout in earlier years - by focusing on guys in the 150-250 ranking range and not burning resources on the very top guys. Still agree that is poor ROI for us, at least with Mooney at the helm.

But come on, we have to at least put out a strong effort on this guy. Not saying send two coaches to sit at every game , but let him know he is wanted. Agree with trap, never know if we get someone later via porta.
I haven't read this anywhere, no, I just happen to know the situation pretty directly.

If there are any top 100 players in the Richmond area or who have some sort of tie to UR - example would be Stevenson, then we should be recruiting them just as hard as anyone else - even if the outcome is likely they will not choose UR. Simply because with the transfer portal - anything can happen in a year or two.

Anyone else going to the Hall of Fame event tonight on campus? Looking forward to seeing Jarod and Greg.

Reactions: urfan1
Was a nice event … Coach Beilein gave via video a great summary of his one year with Jarod and 3 coaching years and two playing years with Greg. All five of the new HOF inductees spoke. Greg and Jarod’s families including Jarod’s son Jarin were all there. Eric Poole joined the crowd as well.

Seems weird that we wouldn’t at least offer him. Is there anything to lose?
Or at least let him know would be very interested to explore his interest in following Dad and uncle's footsteps.

High school class 2024 .....plenty of time to offer ..............had 6 offers by end of September..................

Reactions: urfan1
I bet Bryant has offered him. Remember - they offer everyone they find.

Hows that strategy working out for them? They made the NCAA last year. This year they are 4-1, but as expected - have played no one. Year before last - they made conference finals. Clearly - they have to win their conference tourney to get a bid, so at that level - this trick might work. Interested to keep an eye on them and see how they do this year.

Subscriber-only, but the Raleigh paper has a massive lead article feature about Jarin today. Couple of mentions of Spider ties given his parents and Greg are his high school coaches, some nice photos too.

Lots of hype about him being the best player out of NC in years, even though he's largely flying under the radar. Quietly navigating NIL and researching schools that will get him to his goal of being in the NBA three years from now. Seems to also be considering the Overtime/Ignite path.

If someone comes up with a $5 million NIL offer, we may have a chance. But likely would use for leverage and get the same or more from a P5 program. But hey maybe the 5 mil and the family ties would do it.
Only the Ukrainian national team could pull off a deal like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT