ADVERTISEMENT

St. Bonaventure - Game 2

Which is impossible, since you have to take one in the first half, or you lose it.
Not impossible if this statement is made in the first half. But you know that, you also know the point he was making when Bona went on their late 7-0 run.

Reactions: SpiderK
Tyler just can’t do it all by himself. No help as usual.
Tyler is pressing. And it's affecting his defense, which has been atrocious two games straight. He was assigned to Brea last game, and Flowers this game from the looks of it, and he keeps losing them.

Reactions: gospidersgo
So looking at game stats. We know Bonny started 4-4 with 3PT. Then missed final ONLY 3 of half to be at 4-7. Good % but still ONLY 9 attempts in 2nd half to finish 8-16 for game. Our favorite team goes 1-8 in 1st half with 3PTA. Bad % so let's attempt MORE like 16 and finish 5-24 for game. Of course few were taken late when down but I don't get what Mooney is instructing them.

Through 10 games Spiders presently shooting 29% with 3PT in A10 play ranked 13th. While 44% of their shot attempts are 3PT ones ranking 1st in A10. I mean Mooney has to do something with this offense to get more shots close to the basket with these dismal shooting numbers.

Check this out from kenpom regarding A10 play only .....

Offensive/Defensive Efficiency – This is the number of points scored or allowed per 100 possessions. There are only about 70 possessions for each team in the average college basketball game, so these numbers are higher that the points-per-game statistics you see used by the media.
Offense 98.5% (13th)
Defense 104.5 (12th)

Being underwater by 6 points is more than even the 2018-19 team that 13-20 (6-12). I thought they could be at least .500 or better but presently feeling less and less confident it will happen.

Let me at least leave my rant on a positive note. UR #1 in defensive rebounding during A10 play. Good night!

I believe SDad was talking about the obvious goal tending on the layup that Dji took. He had to earn the points from the line.

Clean block. Now it was close. Maybe like tie goes to runner in baseball. but obvious goaltend? No way let’s not be homers. Even Beckwith saw replay & said good call.

As 8legs said the lean in force the contact 3 by Burton to get FTs should not have been called. We got benefit of a bad call w Quinn too. Sure they missed some both ways but that happens & seemed equal. I watched the game & there was not 1 thought of being cheated. And if I did I would say so bc it can happen. Some ppl always feel that way no matter what.

I would like to see more Bailey / Randolph together. It is way past time for their minutes to increase, while Nelson & Goose decreases. I didn't say NO Goose & Nelson.

While we are at it, Noyes should be getting at least 10-minutes a game, and Walz seems due for more as well.

I would like to see more Bailey / Randolph together. It is way past time for their minutes to increase, while Nelson & Goose decreases. I didn't say NO Goose & Nelson.

While we are at it, Noyes should be getting at least 10-minutes a game, and Walz seems due for more as well.
Agree to all of this .., MFG is an all time Spider for me but more Big needed and a bit more strategic use of MFG minutes

I too would like to see more Noyes and Walz. I mean c’mon…we’re not gonna have some miracle finish / turnaround and win the tournament. They’ve shown enough potential to play more minutes. Time to start playing for next year. Remember- we’re told that the future is bright. If so, it would seem these two guys would be part of that future. Let them play, coach.

Clean block. Now it was close. Maybe like tie goes to runner in baseball. but obvious goaltend? No way let’s not be homers. Even Beckwith saw replay & said good call.

As 8legs said the lean in force the contact 3 by Burton to get FTs should not have been called. We got benefit of a bad call w Quinn too. Sure they missed some both ways but that happens & seemed equal. I watched the game & there was not 1 thought of being cheated. And if I did I would say so bc it can happen. Some ppl always feel that way no matter what.
It's crazy watching Quinn. Some stretches can look really good, others just so ineffective and speed of game overwhelms.
Give credit to coaches for getting Dji more minutes; continue to balance minutes amongst all the guards; start Bigelow, and see if Noyes can make shots others are missing to open up things for Quinn and others inside.

Agree to all of this .., MFG is an all time Spider for me but more Big needed and a bit more strategic use of MFG minutes

But no 3s. I’ve said for 2 months they r way off. U can tell less than halfway there they have no chance to go in. Try to use strength & athleticism to drive. Bc he’s $$ at FT line. I’d post him up. Get him on blocks he’s big enough. & force him to get to the line.

But no 3s. I’ve said for 2 months they r way off. U can tell less than halfway there they have no chance to go in. Try to use strength & athleticism to drive. Bc he’s $$ at FT line. I’d post him up. Get him on blocks he’s big enough. & force him to get to the line.
Agree - Big is a crazy lock at the line

Tyler is pressing. And it's affecting his defense, which has been atrocious two games straight. He was assigned to Brea last game, and Flowers this game from the looks of it, and he keeps losing them.

Yeah agree. Our best player of course but I thought biggest play of game was after we tied it at 46 & had some momentum he lost his man for wide open 3. Think Flowers. Played from behind rest of night but that was really all game. Had we got a lead once down stretch maybe different. Also went out of bounds on a rebound fairly late & think they scored next. It was contested rebound but a swing. & when he ran through a screen for obv foul u could tell there was frustration. almost turned into 5 pt play.

Mooney postgame.

“We look fwd to Sunday against Fordham”

Dji - “I thought he was ok tonight”

Roche - “by position he might be Tyler’s backup”

A10 - “the depth of good teams is probably the most impressive”

The lady ref had some questionable calls, but we benefited from some bad ones, and had some go against us. It didn't seem like it was really that one sided, just not good.
I thought the last 3-4 mins the refs kinda changed the game. Now I haven’t rewatched yet and just my point from seeing live. Our guys were getting clobbered with no calls esp while driving. Venning should have fouled out in the 1st that guy was a walking foul. The female ref was terrible, TV Teddy was well…TV Teddy and the other guy, his call on Goose near the end was atrocious. But I’ll go back tomorrow and rewatch and it could be I’m wrong. I also thought Djis drive and layup was goal tending but again just looking at video board it was kinda hard to tell. But at the end of the day we didn’t hit shots.

Last edited:
If you consider our top 10 players we probably have one of the most talented teams ever. But they are s mentally and physically soft. We’re not conditioned physically or mentally to compete. And for the most part they are experienced players. Just pathetic Mooney has created another group of underachievers. Another million dollars down the drain

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT