ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Ball 2023

Would love to hear from anyone that attended what the my thought. Know it’s hard to get much of a feel from the spring game but curious for reactions.

Hard to tell much, but on offense RB- #6 Black very shifty. WR - impressed by # 89 Griffin & #9 Veney. QB #14 frosh Coleman has a big arm. Pressure on QB’s all day, so defense won in the trenches. DB’s very aggressive, broke on ball very well.

agree with r's comments. Would add overall team speed seems to have improved.

I agree, hard to tell much between the conservative play calling, thud tackling, and familiarty the lines have with each other. In the trenches I would say most of the play was a stalemate, but given these guys compete every day in practice this isn't a surprise. On offense a lot of guys hurt so they were playing shorthanded, but at times the skill position inexperience showed. Defense was clearly ahead of offense today but that's expected this time of year. Defense looked solid and the addition of the safety transfer will make them even better. As the portal reopens, I would say our needs for who can contribute immediately would be RB, OL, Corner, and especially after this past Thurday WR.

Spiders' spring game featured 'real men' up front, QB competition continues

Salient points:

Jasiah Williams hurt.Sounds like a knee.Will likely miss start of 2023 season.

3 additional transfers expected.Best available.

No plans for another QB but never say never.

Wow 77 feels way too low.

To be honest,I think the realignment of the roster including inward transfers has been mismanaged.We lost at least 10 experienced,eligible players going into 2023 which have not been backfilled.

Eligible players lost:
—————————-
Howard
Funderburk
Dykes
Marshall
Hall
Ferraro
More
Eldridge
Larson
Cloud
Rolfe
McCray
Huhn

Players whose eligibility ran out:
———————————————-

Udinski
Henley
Herres
O’Connor

Replicating an 8-3 regular season record in 2023 ,even given what appears to be a weaker schedule,will be extremely difficult.
Russ et al were caught off guard by the # of defections to the transfer portal as well as program leaving players and has done little if anything to compensate the 2023 roster with inward transfers.

Last edited:
Spiders' spring game featured 'real men' up front, QB competition continues

Salient points:

Jasiah Williams hurt.Sounds like a knee.Will likely miss start of 2023 season.

3 additional transfers expected.Best available.

No plans for another QB but never say never.
JOC's article today says Williams is likely lost for the season...

• Sad
Reactions: mojo-spider
JOC's article today says Williams is likely lost for the season...

This statement from Russ article today gives pause-

“…Huesman hopes to get defensive lineman Aidan Murray, a captain, back early this season after he missed last year with an Achilles injury from which he continues to recover…”

• Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider
Hard to tell much, but on offense RB- #6 Black very shifty. WR - impressed by # 89 Griffin & #9 Veney. QB #14 frosh Coleman has a big arm. Pressure on QB’s all day, so defense won in the trenches. DB’s very aggressive, broke on ball very well.
Pulling forward - call on Coleman looking pretty good right now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT