ADVERTISEMENT

spiders win

3genspider

Assistant Coach
Mar 8, 2014
Posted to BB board by accident. From Villanova board:
#4 Villanova (4-0/7-1) at #13 Richmond (3-1/6-2)
Best game in the CAA this weekend and in the FCS Nation unless you think #7 Illinois St. (7-0) at #22 Northern Iowa (4-4) or #18 South Dakota St. (5-3) at #1 North Dakota St. (8-0) is better. OK, so what does this game bring us? Both teams are pretty much evenly matched. Villanova was picked 2nd in the CAA in the preseason and Richmond 3rd. In rushing offense Villanova is 1st in the CAA and Richmond 3rd. In rushing defense Villanova is ranked 2nd in the CAA and Richmond 4th. Where the Spiders gain an advantage is with the passing game both offense and defense. In pass offense the Spiders are ranked 1st with receivers JR Reggie Diggs (4th in the CAA), SO Brian Brown (5th) and SR Rashad Ponder (10th). Villanova ranks 4th with only SR Poppy Livers (9th) in the Top 10. And on pass defense, oh boy, Villanova ranks dead last in the CAA and Richmond 4th.
Another area that Villanova gives Richmond a big advantage is with penalties. The Spiders rank 6th in the CAA giving up 51 penalty yards a game while the Cats are next-to-last with 74 yards a game.
Let's look at their Red Zone Offense and Defense. The Spiders rank 1st on offense and Villanova 4th and on defense, Villanova 3rd and Richmond 4th.
Another distinct advantage for the Spiders (and Villanova fans already know this and no statistics are necessary) is in the kicking game. I'll give you the stats anyway. Richmond is ranked 4th as So Peter Yoder is probably the 2nd best kicker in the conference behind W&M's SR John Carpenter. Yoder has kicked 4 FGs over 40 yards in the last two games. Villanova is ranked 11th.
Now let's look at the past 6 seasons and Villanova-Richmond matchups.
2013 - no play - Cats 6-5 and Spiders 6-6
2012 - Spiders win at 'Nova, 28-17. Cats 8-3 and 0-1 in playoffs losing to Stony Brook, 20-10. Spiders 8-3 but no playoffs. (Villanova was the automatic qualifier in the CAA that year).
2011 - no play - Cats 2-9 and Spiders 3-8 (they beat 1-A Duke but go 0-8 in the CAA).
2010 - Cats win at home 28-7 and go 9-5 and 2-1 in playoffs losing in the Semifinals to Eastern Washington. Spiders go 6-5
2009 - Cats win 21-20 at Richmond and go 14-1 and are FCS NCAA Champions. Spiders go 11-2 and 1-1 in playoffs losing to Appalachian St., 35-31 in Quarterfinals.
2008 - Cats win at home 26-20 and go 10-3 and 1-1 in playoffs losing to JMU, 31-27 in Quarterfinals. Spiders go 13-3 and beat Montana 24-7 for the FCS NCAA Championship.
Now let's look at the 2014 Richmond schedule.
Richmond 55 and 3-5Pioneer Morehead St. 10.
4-4 1-A/ACC Virginia 45 Richmond 13.
Richmond 42 and 2-6 MEAC Hampton 17.
6-1 CAA UNH 29 and Richmond 26. (Spiders lost this home game in the last 19 seconds).
Richmond 46 and 5-3 Big South Liberty 39 in 2OT.
Richmond 41 and 6-2 CAA Albany 28.
Richmond 37 and 0-8 CAA URI 0.
Richmond 30 and 1-7 CAA Elon 10.
OK, now the prediction. Win this game Richmond and just split your JMU (home) and W&M (away) games and you go to the playoffs at 9-3 (you're going to win at Maine). Lose this game and split those two (8-4) I don't think you make it. Lose this game and win JMU and at W&M (9-3) and you go.
Villanova - it's hard to pick against you with the Miracle Man (as the voice of the Wildcats Joe Eichorn calls him) JR QB John Robertson keeps finding ways to win games for the Cats. However, with the injuries mounting and playing down in a hostile enviornment at the Brickhouse (Robins Stadium) and with coach Dan Rocco going 7-0 in November the past two seasons, I'm going with a 38-35 Richmond win. Hope I'm wrong!

Last week was a perfect 7-0 pick week. Hope that doesn't happen this week.

GO CATS - BEAT THE SPIDERS!

Seriously, this guy, a Wildcat fan, goes through all this analysis but picks Richmond in a 3 point win? I happen to agree with him but I root for the Spiders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT