SPIDER BASKETBALL ALL-TIME TEAM

my all time team:
Guard: Kevin Anderson Tony Dobbins
Guard: Kendall Anthony Kevin Smith
Forward: Terry Allen Johnny Newman

Forward: TJ Cline
Center: Steenberge
The guys before my time I can’t say. But we had players back in the day
Kevin Smith and Tony Dobbins, but no ShawnDre? I know Smith and Dobbins played some good defense, but ShawnDre gave us 1600+ ponts and was 38+% from 3 for his career.

Reactions: spiderman
I can only go back as far as I’ve been paying attention to UR basketball (96)
My team (with back ups)

PG: KA (Gilyard)

SG: Dobbins (Gonzo)

SF: Greg Stevenson (Tyler Burton/Terry Allen - Terry is/was a better defender)

PF: Jarod Stevenson (Justin Harper)

C: TJ Cline (Golden)

Honorable mention: Skrocki, Bucknor, Lindsay, Geriot, Anthony, SDJ

Reactions: Eight Legger
Gilyard is a lock. You don't become an NCAA career leader in a significant stat and not have your jersey retired.

On the face of it, Golden probably should as well...2000/1000 is a rare feat. But it's watered down due to the extra games he got that allowed him to reach the milestone. It would also mean two guys in one year for an extremely rare honor, which shouldn't be an issue if both really are worthy, but it could be enough to tilt a very borderline case.

Gilyard is a lock. You don't become an NCAA career leader in a significant stat and not have your jersey retired.

On the face of it, Golden probably should as well...2000/1000 is a rare feat. But it's watered down due to the extra games he got that allowed him to reach the milestone. It would also mean two guys in one year for an extremely rare honor, which shouldn't be an issue if both really are worthy, but it could be enough to tilt a very borderline case.
I think Gilly gets it because of his NCAA steals record (also our all time 3 point leader). I think we have 2 guys from the modern era (Anderson and Newman) who have had their jersey retired, so is an extremely rare honor. We have had a ton of great players over the past generation who don't get their jersey's retired and I agree I can't see two guys from some team getting on their. Grant's numbers are skewed since he played 6 years. Great numbers, but KA or Newman would have been well into the 3000 point club with 6 years of play.

The 18 boards he also had in that medical year were crucial, as without them he would have finished with 997 rebounds.

Anyway, it was still 161 games. Prior to the extra COVID year thing, the most any player had ever played is David Lighty's 157 games for Ohio State from 2006–2011. He benefitted from four deep postseason runs (36+ games each season) plus a medical redshirt year in which he played seven games

I think Gilly gets it because of his NCAA steals record (also our all time 3 point leader). I think we have 2 guys from the modern era (Anderson and Newman) who have had their jersey retired, so is an extremely rare honor. We have had a ton of great players over the past generation who don't get their jersey's retired and I agree I can't see two guys from some team getting on their. Grant's numbers are skewed since he played 6 years. Great numbers, but KA or Newman would have been well into the 3000 point club with 6 years of play.
He also has the A10 record for assists and 2000 pts. Gilly did a lot more than NCAA steals

Reactions: urfan1
Golden had more assists and rebounds than both KA and Newman even before the extra year. I think both Grant and Gilly end up in the rafters

Reactions: VT4700
I think we have 2 guys from the modern era (Anderson and Newman) who have had their jersey retired, so is an extremely rare honor.
Yep, and only three guys total, with the third being Warren Mills, who I really can't see measuring up according to modern standards. He seems to have been very well-respected, and stats from back then are a bit spotty, but the guy averaged 11.6 points for his career and never led the team in scoring (in fact, we was fourth on the team in three of his four seasons). I'm sure he was a solid all-around player, but what we can see of résumé today doesn't scream number in the rafters.

The 18 boards he also had in that medical year were crucial, as without them he would have finished with 997 rebounds.

Anyway, it was still 161 games. Prior to the extra COVID year thing, the most any player had ever played is David Lighty's 157 games for Ohio State from 2006–2011. He benefitted from four deep postseason runs (36+ games each season) plus a medical redshirt year in which he played seven games
I didn't fully realize that Grant is our second leading scorer all time, behind only Newman, and 3rd in all time rebounding.

Reactions: POMSpidur
Yep, and only three guys total, with the third being Warren Mills, who I really can't see measuring up according to modern standards. He seems to have been very well-respected, and stats from back then are a bit spotty, but the guy averaged 11.6 points for his career and never led the team in scoring (in fact, we was fourth on the team in three of his four seasons). I'm sure he was a solid all-around player, but what we can see of résumé today doesn't scream number in the rafters.
He was a two-time SoCon all-star and a three-time all-state player. Sounds as if he might have been a point guard back in the day when assists weren't kept. The SoCon was pretty good back then, so he must have had some skills.

I like Greg Stevenson - think he was an all-time great at UR, but can understand the lack of love he gets compared to other guys because he only played 2 years, but he was pretty dominant those 2 years, especially his senior year when we got snubbed out of CAA tourney and ultimately NCAA tourney.

Big fan of Dobbins - two time Defense POY is something not many accomplish. The pairing of him on defense that year with Skrocki on offense and just the overall tough minded defense JW employed with that team was sometimes ugly to watch, but they had a lot of big wins to show for it.

Steenberge and Bucknor I think get lost in the mix a lot too because of all the coaching changes - likely recruited by JB, played for JW, and then finish with Mooney. So I don't think we got a true representation of how good those 2 really could have been.

Yes Trap, good points on these two. Both very talented and athletic. Steenberge is the athletic big I am always calling for. If I recall he was quite the leaper for his height, and blocked shots and dunked. Google doesn't seem to return any highlights.

I had an end of year highlight vhs tape from the school one year that had great highlights of Kenny Wood, Terry Connelly, Curtis Blair, etc - I remember returning to my apt one day to find my roommate accidentally taped some cartoons over it :).

Steenberge was very athletic, but good post-up player. Could face you up and knock down short jumper, but was not floating on 3 point line (not until Mooney showed up). And that athleticism showed on defense with blocking shots as well.

Bucknor - not as quick, but if given the time - I bet he would be a good Mooney player. Could shoot outside. Had good size, and could play inside as well. In Mooney system - he probably would be forced into playing a forward (4) role - but his combination of posting up and shooting 3's would have been a good fit given the time to adjust.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
I've always wondered what Johnny New's scoring tally would have been if there had been 3 point shots back then. He certainly made a ton of them during his long NBA career. Maybe one day one of you stats guys will have plenty of time on your hands and review the tapes of all of Newman's games here. He could have finished with 3,000+.

If you were a Spider fan since the 80's, he should far and away be #1 on your list.

Honorable mention to Eric Poole, who had the BESTT dunk I have ever seen in the Robins Center

Honorable mention to Eric Poole, who had the BESTT dunk I have ever seen in the Robins Center
What was the Poole dunk? I missed that one.

Some of my favorites:
Stapleton - packed NIT game at RC - runs in from left wing and dunks right handed (he was a lefty)
Blair - end of 1st half vs JMU, Tarrant calls ISO play, Blair crosses over Steve Hood and dunks hard to end the half.
Kevin Smith - Ally Oop vs Va Tech out of time out. Nice call Moon man. I think he had a windmill in that one too. I feel like Smith has 5 of the top 10 ever. He had some acrobatic and powerful dunks in traffic.

I've always wondered what Johnny New's scoring tally would have been if there had been 3 point shots back then. He certainly made a ton of them during his long NBA career. Maybe one day one of you stats guys will have plenty of time on your hands and review the tapes of all of Newman's games here. He could have finished with 3,000+.

If you were a Spider fan since the 80's, he should far and away be #1 on your list.

Rick my favorite all time dunk was Jeff Butler over the shot blocking center at VCU whose name escapes me.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Golden had more assists and rebounds than both KA and Newman even before the extra year. I think both Grant and Gilly end up in the rafters
I agree, and I would do this in separate years. Jacob first, then Grant maybe a year or two later. And, there are negatives as well as positives with covid. The positives were the extra games, but what about the stoppages, the on and off, the unsureness, the lock downs, the masks, etc.?

I can see Gilyard making it - because of his steals record.

But I got a problem with both of them making it to the rafters. My main issue - their first 2 seasons UR was 13-20 and 12-20. Two of the worse records we have had in a long time. Does that all fall on them - of course not. But they were parts of those teams,

I do think Golden should have gotten something - was their a Eastman award UR used to give out. Given what Grant went through his Frosh season and collapsing on the court, to where he ended up - I thought that might be something to give him.

No doubt both make the UR hall of fame in due time. But the rafters - I will be in the minority to say No to Golden, but I would be okay with Gilyard, but would likely vote No as well.

I feel like Smith has 5 of the top 10 ever. He had some acrobatic and powerful dunks in traffic.

23: Knew I had some of these in the archives, but not sure this one was in your five by Kevin, but agree he had some spectacular ones. This one was against Fordham.

Go Spiders!

Reactions: spider23

23: Knew I had some of these in the archives, but not sure this one was in your five by Kevin, but agree he had some spectacular ones. This one was against Fordham.

Go Spiders!
With Francis Martel, Kevin Smith and Darius Garrett on the same team, there was a dunk highlight opportunity
every game.

Yes, the more I think about this, the more I remember I forgot :)

Garrett had sportscenter top 10 against Dayton.

And of course one of my favorites from recent times would have to be CAYO WITH THE KO!!!

Burton is kind of in the K Smith territory in that his are so good and often that you start to take for granted.

The Garrett dunk was good. The reaction right into the camera - that makes it top 10. Perfect placement, perfect timing.

My favorite Burton dunk is the breakaway one over Lee in the away game at Davidson a couple years ago, because Lee contests hard and really gets posterized.

Burton has had some good ones - even alley oops as well. But he is athletic and sometimes looks easy to him, that I think it takes away from the dunk. I guess one of the problems of being super athletic.

the Moliva dunk against Kansas - top 5 for sure. He dunked on 2 guys and got fouled. Gotta be top 5 UR dunks.

yep has to be top 5. Kevin smith had a nasty dunk from the side against Kansas too, in ncaa game. But we were getting blown out at the time so didn’t mean much.

steenberge had a nice dunk vs vcu I remember. Harper had a put back dunk vs Xavier. Jonathan Collins had some good ones too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT