ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Baseball Golf

61 Spider

Starter
Gold Member
Feb 20, 2004
Played golf today with Spider baseball alumni & friends. 41 players at Jeff/Lakeside. Great fun. Coach Woodson did not play but was a great host. Nice prizes for 1st & 2nd place finishers & closest to pin on par 3 holes. I played in a fivesome with a bunch of great guys, shooting 7 under for 3rd place. Learned we are upgrading the schedule with NC State ,Duke, VA , VA Tech and a tournament including Notre Dame in the future. Also learned we have four commitments for next years class. Coach Woodson plans to make this an annual tournament and making it bigger with more publicity etc.

I agree, a good time was had by all. Great event and hope it gets bigger. Since we came in last I have to question who set up the teams, but...we still had great fun. I like how Coach Woodson is getting his program kickstarted. The tailgate was TERRIFIC, hats off to the baseball alums who put it on, we are very grateful.

Roll Spides!!

Permanent grandstands, locker room, lights. Things we need to build or add to show we're serious in a sport where we could be a regional and even national factor again.

A nice locker room connected to the dugout would be tough on the third-base side because of the steep dropoff to the lake. But it could easily be done on the first-base side. I can't remember which dugout we use but if we have to switch to first base it'ss no big deal. I think it's preferable to have the home dugout on the 3B side, but many teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers off the top of my head) don't.

In baseball, you recruit against other schools, and against the pros. You have to give a talented kid a reason to attend your school, and right now we really don't. An outstanding educational opportunity doesn't really help us very much because the best kids leave after three years anyways and very few return to graduate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT