ADVERTISEMENT

Someone had to say it

I believe regardless of any other factors if you were on a roster during the covid season you get an additional year of eligibility.
Yeah, I think I found it...you don't have to have competed in order to get the extra year of clock, so he's good to go. He just doesn't also get a fifth season to play because he didn't compete in 2020–21, but his six-year eligibility clock will run out after four years of playing anyway.

Approved a blanket waiver permitting institutions to:
  1. Self-apply a season-of-competition waiver for fall and winter sport student-athletes who compete while eligible in 2020-21 up to the maximum amount of competition permitted;
  2. Self-apply a one-year extension of eligibility for fall and winter sport student-athletes who either do not compete or who qualify for a season-of-competition waiver for 2020-21; and

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Yeah, it was said at the time of his transfer that he had two years of eligibility left.

I actually haven't been 100% clear on how he gets the extra, but obviously he will have only played three years at the end of this season. My understanding of the COVID extension is that it is for players whose 2020-21 seasons were affected by the COVID shortening. But he was out with injury for the entire season, so is he considered affected?

This JOC article mentions both a medical redshirt and the COVID bonus year, so it's still a bit fuzzy.

Regardless, however it played out he's apparently getting 6 years to play 4.
I am thinking he gets the extra COVID year just like everyone else - no matter what. I think in normal circumstances he could petition for an extra year because of the injury and having used the redshirt as a frosh, but I think that is moot now with the extra COVID year.

So with Bigelow, assuming he is back next season. I think we have a solid core. You will have Nelson, Bigelow, Roche, and Quinn. I think with all of them getting experience this year - expectation is they improve next season. Of course even Burton could return for extra year - but I don't see that happening.

But I think with those 4 returning, and lets hope guys like Noyes and Walz can just become serviceable reserves, and add in some newcomers - I think we got a solid start. A lot of next season predictions will depend on how these guys continue to improve the rest of this season, but I like what I see so far. Its not great. Its not NCAA caliber now but I think it can be.

Reactions: urfan1
Our successful (NCAA) years under this coach have been built on the backs of all time greats (KA and an all-time run by Gilly), it’s not the coaching or the system and we’ll continue to be better than average, not great, b/c that’s who the school’s powers that be have chosen to ride with.

At least they sell beer at the RC now.

Our successful (NCAA) years under this coach have been built on the backs of all time greats (KA and an all-time run by Gilly), it’s not the coaching or the system and we’ll continue to be better than average, not great, b/c that’s who the school’s powers that be have chosen to ride with.

At least they sell beer at the RC now.
Agree. We have had players and teams that should have had multiple years in the NCAA but didnt even make it. Last year was a complete anomaly. 5-6 year players who were very talented and finally figured it out themselves.
CM doesnt develope or build imo, and our prospects of consistently good teams making the dance under his leadership is nil.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT