ADVERTISEMENT

Someone had to say it

Ok, just did a quick search on your posts, they are almost all negative and/or attacking anyone that attacks a coach, and I did not find one talking about the actual players or games , etc. Yes, I get in some passing matches, like now , I admit it. But you are not adding any discussion about teams, players , strategy, etc. But keep on bitching.
Make this board your life, since you obviously have little room for others to disagree. You have close to 14,000 messages on here. Obviously, you have a problem, and I’m staying away from you.

• Haha
Reactions: Gallipoli
This post sums up a lot of issues with this board. So, his posts are negative because they get on someone who attacks a coach? So, I guess you think anyone should be able to attack the coaches without having to worry about anyone disagreeing on here? That is all too common around here. People bitch and complain about our team, our coaches, sometimes even our players, but if anyone takes up for them, all heck breaks loose. The haters have an "agree with me or you are stupid" attitude.
Go look at his posts dude, all negative.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Ditto, you but you can't seem to stay away. Keep up with your 99.7 per cent negative post rating.
Oh my, you even pull figures out of the air. 99.7 % negative posts?
Hey rock star, this thread started as negative and I was disagreeing.
See how bright you are?
You just keep posting. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Ok I admit use to criticize CM mainly for his refusal to change from the matchup zone. But
even JC was questioning that teams had solved it. Next for a few years questioned our recruiting
which lead to our lack of depth and I admit a player or two drove me nuts and could not understand
why CM played them so much like Isiah Wilson. But I also have praised CM for developing a different
defensive scheme including full court pressure. His recruiting has improved greatly over past few years
especially transfers where before TJ Cline and Blake Francis were only successful ones. Do I still criticize?
Yes, for I do not like CM‘s removal of players for TO when they have just entered a game and have not even
had a chance to break a sweat.

So if the above is a sign of lack of support because I don’t agree then I must not support my own community, state
and country. In business I questioned every decision I made and I accepted criticism for it made me
better and stronger and it was good learning experience.

There are obviously personalities on this board that clash and would not make each other’s favorite list
for sitting at your last meal. So be it, it is a fact we have our favorite news channels to watch and don’t care
for the others. I will defend my team against all others: VCU, JMU, UNI, etc…. But constructive criticism should
allow good discussion and open dialogue especially among Spider fans. Lastly sometimes gut feelings and observations
carry more weight than stat sheets.

Last edited:
Ok I admit use to criticize CM mainly for his refusal to change from the matchup zone. But
even JC was questioning that teams had solved it. Next for a few years questioned our recruiting
which lead to our lack of depth and I admit a player or two drove me nuts and could not understand
why CM played them so much like Isiah Wilson. But I also have praised CM for developing a different
defensive scheme including full court pressure. His recruiting has improved greatly over past few years
especially transfers where before TJ Cline and Blake Francis were only successful ones. Do I still criticize?
Yes, for I do not like CM‘s removal of players for TO when they have just entered a game and have not even
had a chance to break a sweat.

So if the above is a sign of lack of support because I don’t agree then I must not support my own community, state
and country. In business I questioned everything decision I made and I accepted criticism for it made me
better and stronger and it was good learning experience.

There are obviously personalities on this board that clash and would not make each other’s favorite list
for sitting at your last meal. So be it, it is a fact we have our favorite news channels to watch and don’t care
for the others. I will defend my team against all others: VCU, JMU, UNI, etc…. But constructive criticism should
allow good discussion and open dialogue especially among Spider fans. Lastly sometimes gut feelings and observations
carry more weight than stat sheets.
Carolina, I agree with what you say here.
I particularly like your last line-
But constructive criticism should
- with emphasis on constructive criticism.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Of course, no one expects us to win the regular season and/or conference tourney EVERY year, but we expect to do one of those at least more frequently than every decade (since there are 20 chances in that period of time). Our league is competitive in the way most leagues are, which is to say there are some usual suspects at the top, and then most everyone else. We pretty much know that LaSalle, Fordham, Duquesne, GW, UMass, St. Joe's, etc. are not going to challenge for either one most years (at least in the past decade or so). That leaves a handful of teams with realistic aspirations. Why not us? Especially this year, when even the favorites have come out looking suspect.

I disagree that this was a development year just because we had some new players and because the pundits said it was. What do they know? Very little. We have veteran talent here -- even our freshman guard is 20 years old! No reason the expectation shouldn't be to make the NCAAs this year. Maybe we don't get there, but that's what the team should expect. If we go into the season just trying to finish seventh or eighth, I know for sure we won't make the NCAAs.
My expectation is simple - we should be in the mix for an NCAA or NIT bid 4 out of 5 years. I totally accept guys graduate, or now they may transfer - so there might be a year in there where nothing happens - but we should be looking at NIT or NCAA bid most years. Gonzaga like - far from it. Probably something more like Davidson should be the goal - last 10 years - 5 NIT and 4 NCAA appearances. And pretty sure they are a well regarded educational institution and have a small student body like us.

Instead - last 10 years - we have been to 3 NIT and 1 NCAA.

we should be looking at NIT or NCAA bid most years.

So in the last three seasons, we've exceeded your expectations. We would have gone to the NCAAs in 2020, did play in the NIT in 2021, and did play in the NCAA tournament, and win a game over a favored opponent, in 2022.

we should be looking at NIT or NCAA bid most years.

So in the last three seasons, we've exceeded your expectations. We would have gone to the NCAAs in 2020, did play in the NIT in 2021, and did play in the NCAA tournament, and win a game over a favored opponent, in 2022.
There is no credit for 2020 season. IF there had been a tournament, then last year‘s team would not have had the players it had. I understand your argument, but you would need this year’s outcome to determine the “streak”. Sorry no double dipping.

Carolina, I agree with what you say here.
I particularly like your last line-
But constructive criticism should
- with emphasis on constructive criticism.
I had a post stating some things I think Mooney has done well, and others he could improve. You ont he other hand are now up to 99.82% negative posts.

There is no credit for 2020 season. IF there had been a tournament, then last year‘s team would not have had the players it had. I understand your argument, but you would need this year’s outcome to determine the “streak”. Sorry no double dipping.
Wow. A Richmond fan telling someone there is no credit for our 24-7 season. This board is something else.

Reactions: POMSpidur
Wow. A Richmond fan telling someone there is no credit for our 24-7 season. This board is something else.
It’s a cold hard fact that if Covid had not shut down the 2020 season Grant, Jacob, Sherod, and Cayo all would not have been playing for us last season. He quite clearly said no credit for making the tournament twice, not that those wins didn’t happen. Did you only read the first sentence?

I’m not even feeling Anti-Mooney right now, I’m just anti-replies that take something out of context to argue.

Someone could say “I love waffles” and your response would be “oh so you hate pancakes?”

It’s a cold hard fact that if Covid had not shut down the 2020 season Grant, Jacob, Sherod, and Cayo all would not have been playing for us last season. He quite clearly said no credit for making the tournament twice, not that those wins didn’t happen. Did you only read the first sentence?

I’m not even feeling Anti-Mooney right now, I’m just anti-replies that take something out of context to argue.

Someone could say “I love waffles” and your response would be “oh so you hate pancakes?”
Well, the problem with saying no credit is that we did have a season in 2020 and we went 24-7 and we did have a season in 2022 and went 24-13 with an A-10 title and an NCAA tourney win. Other teams had players return as well, but they didn't do what we did last year. The constant need of our own fans to keep downplaying 2020 is amazing.

No credit for 24-7? I'm absolutely certain if we'd of gone 7-24 there would have been plenty of blame.

Reactions: VT4700
Well, the problem with saying no credit is that we did have a season in 2020 and we went 24-7 and we did have a season in 2022 and went 24-13 with an A-10 title and an NCAA tourney win. Other teams had players return as well, but they didn't do what we did last year. The constant need of our own fans to keep downplaying 2020 is amazing.
How many times must it be said - QUIT cherry picking data to support your preferred position and dispassionately look at the overall 56% winning percentage over CM's Richmond career. Nice guy, but a pedestrian coach. Data doesn't lie. He is a C+, B- coach based on his OVERALL record.

Why is that so difficult to grasp?

The point was that you can't say we would have had two NCAA appearances (20 and 22), because had the 20 tournament happened, no one would have gotten an extra year. So our team as constructed last year wouldn't have been a thing.

No one said we don't get credit for going 24-7 in 2020 -- they said we don't get credit for two NCAAs with that group.

The nature of this board has evolved over the years from a relatively friendly and welcoming board to pretty toxic. (Spare me the comparison to other boards of larger schools, I'm talking about what this board was vs it is now).

Once the Mooney debate got politicized, many posters decided to bicker over the moral highground of their argument instead of have a dialogue.

Unfortunately I don't ever see it ending until we fire Mooney or make like 7 straight NCAA's so one group can brag about how right they were. I'm sure well still be arguing about it then too. Wednesday can't come soon enough.

How many times must it be said - QUIT cherry picking data to support your preferred position and dispassionately look at the overall 56% winning percentage over CM's Richmond career. Nice guy, but a pedestrian coach. Data doesn't lie. He is a C+, B- coach based on his OVERALL record.

Why is that so difficult to grasp?
Because I feel like we had this exact debate after the 20 loss seasons. We heard the same stuff on here over and over. Then, we go 24-7, 14-9, and 24-13 the past 3 seasons with an A-10 title and an NCAA win, and yet, here we are hearing the exact same stuff we heard 3 years ago. What is difficult to grasp is why fans of our school want to act like 24-7 didn't happen, or last year didn't happen. Or, if they acknowledge it, they act like the last 3 years happened 10 years ago and the 20 loss seasons just happened. Sorry, but the timing just doesn't add up for you haters out there.

Reactions: UR80sfan
The nature of this board has evolved over the years from a relatively friendly and welcoming board to pretty toxic. (Spare me the comparison to other boards of larger schools, I'm talking about what this board was vs it is now).

Once the Mooney debate got politicized, many posters decided to bicker over the moral highground of their argument instead of have a dialogue.

Unfortunately I don't ever see it ending until we fire Mooney or make like 7 straight NCAA's so one group can brag about how right they were. I'm sure well still be arguing about it then too. Wednesday can't come soon enough.
I'll be on board for 7 straight :)

Reactions: urfan1
This to me is the saddest part of everything, the damage Mooney has done to our fanbase. Granted he didn't do it intentionally but it is a product of his lack of results. If for no other reason, this is why I wished/hoped we would have moved on last year, but then we went on that incredible and improbable run.

If all the Mooney guys (including Mooney) would step back for a second and just recognize that he is a divisive figure at UR and maybe having that divisive figure continuing on is not a great thing for the University as a whole.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
This to me is the saddest part of everything, the damage Mooney has done to our fanbase. Granted he didn't do it intentionally but it is a product of his lack of results. If for no other reason, this is why I wished/hoped we would have moved on last year, but then we went on that incredible and improbable run.

If all the Mooney guys (including Mooney) would step back for a second and just recognize that he is a divisive figure at UR and maybe having that divisive figure continuing on is not a great thing for the University as a whole.
You need to separate your opinion from the rest of the fan base. As mentioned on another post:

1. Our average attendance last year ranked 1st for all schools our size or smaller in the country and this year attendance is up 10% to 20% over last year. The Robin Center has been rocking the first 3 games of the year. Fans are voting approval for the program by filling seats.

2. The alumni Facebook page has over 8 thousand participants and posts relative to our basketball program have been overwhelmingly positive.

Reactions: VT4700
I am not down on this year - I thought from the beginning, this year was an NIT year for this team and I think they still have a shot at doing just that.

We are 3-3, if we can go 5-2 before A10 play, that gets us 8-5. Not NCAA conversation by any means, but I think the best basketball for this team is ahead of them. I think we can fight for that 4th-6th position in the A10. And if we can do that - we got a shot at the NIT. The other best case scenario is similar to last year - this team starts to play best ball at end of the year and goes on a run in the A10 tourney. And with one of the best players in the league in Burton, and I think by the end of the year Nelson will be playing better and better - we got a shot.

If we miss the NIT this year - so be it. I am not saying fire Mooney. But we will need to be back in the post-season - NIT or NCAA next year. And with the guys we have returning, although losing Burton hurts - I don't think there is any reason to think we will not be a good team next year as well.

Reactions: urfan1 and UR80sfan

LOL. "Divisive". Because 15 people on a message board hate him? Hilarious.

You need to separate your opinion from the rest of the fan base. As mentioned on another post:

1. Our average attendance last year ranked 1st for all schools our size or smaller in the country and this year attendance is up 10% to 20% over last year. The Robin Center has been rocking the first 3 games of the year. Fans are voting approval for the program by filling seats.

2. The alumni Facebook page has over 8 thousand participants and posts relative to our basketball program have been overwhelmingly positive.

There are plenty of us that have season tickets and attend the games that think we could and should do better than what Mooney has achieved over his 18 years cashing paychecks from the university.

Lol I’m afraid it’s not just the pro Mooney crowd that can make this board unreadable at times either my friend. To me the saddest part about this is how people from both sides refuse to drop their arguments that we already know are well established. Even after an NCAA appearance both sides are moving goal posts to support their own re-formulated arguments. Believe me I (most) know how all y’all feel about Mooney.

Reactions: urfan1 and urmite

Season tickets are extremely affordable in comparison to VCU/UVA, if Mooney had really built such a winning program we wouldn't be giving tickets away and making season tickets less than $200. Walk around the Robins Center and ask some of the fans what they think of Mooney, think you would be surprised that just because they are paying for really cheap/affordable seats and still support the program, that they don't all feel the same about Mooney. Maybe steps outside the friends and family section behind Moon and get a sense for the other 90% of the paying fanbase.

As for the FB page, all I know the men's basketball page was getting shredded most of last year with dissatisfaction. I'm not sure about the alumni page.

I'm willing to put down good money that the number of people wanting us to move on from Mooney last February was larger than the number of folks who wanted us to keep him. Obviously, our run bought him a new lease on life, but if he goes another couple years without sniffing an NCAA bid, those forces will be back larger and stronger than ever.

LOL. "Divisive". Because 15 people on a message board hate him? Hilarious.
Now wait a minute, you were preaching earlier about the FB group being the benchmark on what the fan base is really like (even though most of them could care less). Why can’t the message board of fans who actually care be an even better benchmark?

Now wait a minute, you were preaching earlier about the FB group being the benchmark on what the fan base is really like (even though most of them could care less). Why can’t the message board of fans who actually care be an even better benchmark?
No I wasn't. And, sorry, but I don't think the same 15 haters who have hated, win or lose, ever since I have been on here represents what our fans think of our coach.

No I wasn't. And, sorry, but I don't think the same 15 haters who have hated, win or lose, ever since I have been on here represents what our fans think of our coach.
It’s way more than 15. And most of them are not “haters”. They simply have higher standards and aspirations for the program than you. You might say those aspirations are unrealistic, and perhaps you are correct. Or perhaps not. That is the crux of the debate.

But this isn’t Duke or UK, so most of us are content to soldier on, support the team at the Robins Center during good seasons and bad — even though deep down, we believe in our hearts that the ceiling for this program could be much higher under the right circumstances.

It’s way more than 15. And most of them are not “haters”. They simply have higher standards and aspirations for the program than you. You might say those aspirations are unrealistic, and perhaps you are correct. Or perhaps not. That is the crux of the debate.

But this isn’t Duke or UK, so most of us are content to soldier on, support the team at the Robins Center during good seasons and bad — even though deep down, we believe in our hearts that the ceiling for this program could be much higher under the right circumstances.
Are you implying that Spiders fans support during the good and the bad? Get real. There was a billboard trying to fire the coach and we’re talking about supporting in the Robins Center.

My expectation is simple - we should be in the mix for an NCAA or NIT bid 4 out of 5 years. I totally accept guys graduate, or now they may transfer - so there might be a year in there where nothing happens - but we should be looking at NIT or NCAA bid most years. Gonzaga like - far from it. Probably something more like Davidson should be the goal - last 10 years - 5 NIT and 4 NCAA appearances. And pretty sure they are a well regarded educational institution and have a small student body like us.

Instead - last 10 years - we have been to 3 NIT and 1 NCAA.
I think if you look outside of Tarrant you may realize Mooney has done a good job. Tarrant was one of a kind. Looking at what UR was before that, and what they were for the decade after that… I just wonder why you expect us to be a tournament team 4/5 years. When UR was only that for a DECADE of the universities existence?
The same fans who wonder why recruits wouldn’t choose Richmond…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT