ADVERTISEMENT

Someone had to say it

whamilton19

Rookie
Feb 19, 2022
So I've had this thought about Richmond's season last year for a while. I honestly think it would be better for our program not to have won the a10 tourney and lost to Rhody in the first round. Now that's a bold statement, but hear me out, that run guaranteed Chris more years as coach. Its time to tell the board the truth about Mooney, he's a great guy, but a terrible coach. He's terrible at adjustments, look at our last 3 games, choke jobs because he can't coach a young team. We've also seen many more Mooney choke jobs in the past years. We got 10 more years of this BS and its because of one fluke run. It will hurt the program in the long run just like it did from 2011-2022. Why are we settling for a "NCAA tourney appearance every 10 years"? Makes no sense to me, this a good, respectable program, but since Mooney's 2011 NCAA run we've been mediocre and getting outplayed for our rivals.

Dubs Hamilton. I myself, and I believe more than a few on this board had the same thought last season. We always want Richmond and the players to win, but fully knowing the outcome would be for Hardt to crawl back under his desk and say "Shewwwwww", all set for 10 years.

Soo, that leaves us to complain on here, and hope that Mooney will get better at certain aspects. I do think recruiting is an uptick (though not as great as many on here who do not follow the recruiting at mid major perenial power recruiting do), he is using the transfer portal now. Using input from Boyden, I think the defense is looking really solid. So he is taking steps. But yes, other than having a prime KA and prime Gilly, his end game management and adjustments seem lacking year over year. I think our best bet is to hurry up and wait for another year or two and watch a Prime Jaynel and a Prime Trevor Smith develop.

Not giving up on this year, I think our recipe for success is keeping throwing Nelson out there and developing, attack, attack with Burton/Bigelow and get Grace healthy. But get used to Mooney for 15 more years, I have and ready for it.

Of course, maybe develop some interest in 2nd favorite teams, like SDSU Aztecs too.

Reactions: whamilton19
So I've had this thought about Richmond's season last year for a while. I honestly think it would be better for our program not to have won the a10 tourney and lost to Rhody in the first round. Now that's a bold statement, but hear me out, that run guaranteed Chris more years as coach. Its time to tell the board the truth about Mooney, he's a great guy, but a terrible coach. He's terrible at adjustments, look at our last 3 games, choke jobs because he can't coach a young team. We've also seen many more Mooney choke jobs in the past years. We got 10 more years of this BS and its because of one fluke run. It will hurt the program in the long run just like it did from 2011-2022. Why are we settling for a "NCAA tourney appearance every 10 years"? Makes no sense to me, this a good, respectable program, but since Mooney's 2011 NCAA run we've been mediocre and getting outplayed for our rivals.
Oh without a doubt. Many of us knew and realized that we had better enjoy our miracle March run because it cemented another 5 years at least of Mooney. Shoot, even his wife and kids new it, with their long cries of relief when we won the A-10 championship. They knew what was about to go down and how they just got another 5 years on the UR gravy train.

Anyone who has been watching Mooney for 18 years, know that he has deep innate flaws that will ever prevent our program from becoming a consistent NCAA participant. That is just reality. A sad reality but reality none the less.

This “young team” who usually starts a 2 graduate players, 2 seniors, and a REDSHIRT freshman. While bringing a sophomore junior and graduate student off the bench…

Reactions: SpiderK
Yeah, I'm not sure that painting this as a veteran team (which in many ways it is) is going to help the argument that we shouldn't be winning close games (?)

Reactions: plydogg
It’s time to be realistic with your expectations. Hard to get good guys at Richmond. Simply put.
but yet we have those good guys and we still underperform. Look at Davidson compared to us, and Bob isn't there anymore and they still showing up (its hard to get guys to there) Look at Bonnies with Schmidt, one of the smallest budgets in the NCAA but he still leads his guys. And the expectation isn't medrocity for 9 years and then make the tourney. Stop defending this man because he is nice and wears a suit.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
outside of Nelson it's absolutely an experienced team ... who doesn't have much experience playing together or for this coach. they're gelling. you don't get much time, though. gotta be solid tonight.

Yeah, I'm not sure that painting this as a veteran team (which in many ways it is) is going to help the argument that we shouldn't be winning close games (?)
Don't want to speak for him, but I think if it is a veteran team than it is less on the coach and more on the players?
Of course, that depends on how many times it happens over a number of years...

The premise of this thread is that if we had not won the A-10 last year and gone to the NCAA tournament and beaten Iowa that Mooney's tenure as Richmond head coach would come to an end sooner. There is no empirical evidence to support that premise.

The premise of this thread is that if we had not won the A-10 last year and gone to the NCAA tournament and beaten Iowa that Mooney's tenure as Richmond head coach would come to an end sooner. There is no empirical evidence to support that premise.
You're right, we wouldn't for sure. I mean hell, he survived off 2011-2022 with 2 NIT appearances and overall and bunch of mid years. But we can't deny that there would be more pressure on Chris to perform this season if the team didn't make it last year. The saying "history repeats itself" explains this situation, just like 2011, he got cut a lot of slack and he didn't perform for a long period of time. Along with the talent that was in the Richmond Bball's program during those years, it was pathetic that we only have one tourney appearance. He would still be on the hot seat, like he was throughout last year, if the tourney run wasn't made .

No, I would definitely not have traded our run to A10 title and NCAA win. even tho I was ready to move on from Moon. like spider fan said he may still be coach without those things. But they r like gold, it was great fun & we desperately needed that jolt. But what I expected was us to be more deliberate and less reactionary to the end of year. how many times do AD's like our own big hat no cattle Hardt have to be hit over the head with a brick? It takes very little to have a proper lay of the land and realize these long term contracts go wrong more than right, and r quite burdensome. That admins r way too beholden to coaches and agents, and they've been sold that they're a requirement of recruiting by the coaching profession. Didn't help us land a big man this offseason like a Reed. u don't turn around and go back to a 5 year contact when u just lived through an albatross of one. u don't give the dog that mechanical bunny, u make them chase it. There r really few out there who have earned/deserved these very long term deals. 5 years in a vacuum is reasonable but not in our situation. That was the issue to me, Hardt treating this contract like he's at another all u can eat buffet. No reason none for Moon to have more than 2 years left after this season. Prudence said let's see how we reload on the court first. Alas.

As much ass I agree with the premise of this thread, the players in their final year deserved it. And we fans deserved a little pudding too. And I personally believe that the players took it upon themselves to win that tournament and did it despite Mooney, not because of his coaching.

No, I would definitely not have traded our run to A10 title and NCAA win. even tho I was ready to move on from Moon. like spider fan said he may still be coach without those things. But they r like gold, it was great fun & we desperately needed that jolt. But what I expected was us to be more deliberate and less reactionary to the end of year. how many times do AD's like our own big hat no cattle Hardt have to be hit over the head with a brick? It takes very little to have a proper lay of the land and realize these long term contracts go wrong more than right, and r quite burdensome. That admins r way too beholden to coaches and agents, and they've been sold that they're a requirement of recruiting by the coaching profession. Didn't help us land a big man this offseason like a Reed. u don't turn around and go back to a 5 year contact when u just lived through an albatross of one. u don't give the dog that mechanical bunny, u make them chase it. There r really few out there who have earned/deserved these very long term deals. 5 years in a vacuum is reasonable but not in our situation. That was the issue to me, Hardt treating this contract like he's at another all u can eat buffet. No reason none for Moon to have more than 2 years left after this season. Prudence said let's see how we reload on the court first. Alas.
I completely agree with this. And we know certain posters are going to come on here and say, no he could not have signed player x, y, and z without the contract. I mean especially the last 8 years, Mooney had zero interest from bigger leagues and schools. It's crazy.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
As much ass I agree with the premise of this thread, the players in their final year deserved it. And we fans deserved a little pudding too. And I personally believe that the players took it upon themselves to win that tournament and did it despite Mooney, not because of his coaching.
smh. despite everything his players say.

Reactions: VT4700
well what else could he say? "Mooney sucks, I did this all myself, screw that guy!"
if you don't feel strongly about your coach, you probably don't say much about him. the majority of our players come back and praise him. are you saying we should just dismiss the positive things they say about him just because those thoughts aren't aligned with some on this board?

Reactions: VT4700
if you don't feel strongly about your coach, you probably don't say much about him. the majority of our players come back and praise him. are you saying we should just dismiss the positive things they say about him just because those thoughts aren't aligned with some on this board?
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I think there’s plenty of legitimate criticism of Mooney to be had but to think the players all secretly hate him but are just lying to the public is a bit crazy

Unless you're in the locker room you wouldn't know but I often wonder about the dynamics that exists between Mooney and his players. Based on what the players say about him it's obvious they think a lot of him and defend him when pushed. At the same time it appears to me that they don't play loose because they're afraid to disappoint coach (dad) if they make a mistake. From a family dynamic perspective it's not unconditional love. I would think that over time that would create a lot of pressure to perform. And Mooney shows his disappoint subtly, no hand shake, get pulled for slight mistake. All confidence killers if you're not a strong personality yourself. Looking back on my playing career and life, the most success that I had came from coaches and bosses that pushed me to succeed and didn't care if I liked them or not. Sometimes in the moment, I probably didn't but after holding up a trophy or getting a promotion I loved them all. Being a likable trusted friend doesn't necessarily make you a good coach or boss.

Unless you're in the locker room you wouldn't know but I often wonder about the dynamics that exists between Mooney and his players. Based on what the players say about him it's obvious they think a lot of him and defend him when pushed. At the same time it appears to me that they don't play loose because they're afraid to disappoint coach (dad) if they make a mistake. From a family dynamic perspective it's not unconditional love. I would think that over time that would create a lot of pressure to perform. And Mooney shows his disappoint subtly, no hand shake, get pulled for slight mistake. All confidence killers if you're not a strong personality yourself. Looking back on my playing career and life, the most success that I had came from coaches and bosses that pushed me to succeed and didn't care if I liked them or not. Sometimes in the moment, I probably didn't but after holding up a trophy or getting a promotion I loved them all. Being a likable trusted friend doesn't necessarily make you a good coach or boss.
You call this a good post, whampas? YOU CALL THIS A GOOD POST?! This post is a damn embarrassment. If your great-great-grandfather read this post, first he would ask what the internet is, AND THEN HE WOULD TELL YOU THAT IT SUCKS. DO BETTER! I have more posting ability in my amputated little toe than I've seen in this post, and none of my toes have even been amputated! When you get inducted into the Message Board Hall of Fame, don't forget me.

It’s time to be realistic with your expectations. Hard to get good guys at Richmond. Simply put.
I have posted this numerous times in the past, here we go again. Losers have no expectations. There is zero reason Richmond can't be near the top of the A10 EVERY YEAR. Also, there is no reason why we can't be in the conversation for post season play EVERY YEAR and make the NCAA tournament most years. Excusues are just that, excusues. The right leaders in place in the administration, athletic department, and basketball program could make my expectations a reality.

Gilly put the team on his back in DC and then in the NCAA tournament. Played out of his mind. We all saw that.
Definitely agree that Gilly said “F U MoonBu, I do it myself”. I wouldn’t trade the run for anything, even if it means a lifetime membership for Mooney. Sending VCU, Dayton and Davidson fans home crying was well worth it. The fans and kids deserved it after being screwed by Covid.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
but yet we have those good guys and we still underperform. Look at Davidson compared to us, and Bob isn't there anymore and they still showing up (its hard to get guys to there) Look at Bonnies with Schmidt, one of the smallest budgets in the NCAA but he still leads his guys. And the expectation isn't medrocity for 9 years and then make the tourney. Stop defending this man because he is nice and wears a suit.
St. Bonaventure just lost at Canisius, who has a total moron as its coach. Schmidt would have been roasted alive here after that mess.

• Haha
Reactions: VT4700 and plydogg
I have posted this numerous times in the past, here we go again. Losers have no expectations. There is zero reason Richmond can't be near the top of the A10 EVERY YEAR. Also, there is no reason why we can't be in the conversation for post season play EVERY YEAR and make the NCAA tournament most years. Excusues are just that, excusues. The right leaders in place in the administration, athletic department, and basketball program could make my expectations a reality.
Why would anybody pick Richmond over VCU, Dayton, Davidson or SLU? I genuinely want to know your opinion as to why?

Why would anybody pick Richmond over VCU, Dayton, Davidson or SLU? I genuinely want to know your opinion as to why?
We have the facilities, financial resources, great academic reputation, good location, and conference to succeed. Look at what Dave Clawson did at UR and is doing at Wake. He needs 25+ players a year in each class to be successful. CM needs 2 to 3. Much easier to do in basketball. And you sell recruits on make UR unique compared to the other schools you mentioned. You seem to have a defeatist mentality. You are full of excuses and can't see the forest for the trees.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT