ADVERTISEMENT

Silas Barksdale - 2025 Offer

I got a feeling we are just trying to get in early on this kid and as someone mentioned, they usually blow up - gather big time offers and forget we ever existed. But again - in the age of the transfer portal - I would probably go out and offer every top 100 AGE 14 recruit. Chances are in a few years when they finish their first year of college - half them will want to transfer.

Usually the kids that are offered at this age are really good. Of course coaches can’t talk to the kid yet but certainly good to see us active with these classes.
in particular I like being early with local kids. he could blow up and get some huge offers, but some kids will want to stay reasonably close to home for family and friends. we've already been in his gym for Trevor. we can work on building a relationship when rules permit.

Moon has a couple years to keep making NCAA tourney appearances and runs. Need those to break through to the next level.

in particular I like being early with local kids. he could blow up and get some huge offers, but some kids will want to stay reasonably close to home for family and friends. we've already been in his gym for Trevor. we can work on building a relationship when rules permit.
I agree

Nice concession speech, Trap.
Wasn't their a coach out there and we talked about on this board who was offering every top 100 player or more a scholarship. Just offering as many kids as possible to see what he could get. That might be the way to do it now with transfer portal blowing up. Offer everyone you know. Strike up even a minor relationship with them and keep in touch, cause it seems like majority of kids will end up looking for new schools and you have your foot in the door - remember us - we offered you right out of HS.

Wasn't their a coach out there and we talked about on this board who was offering every top 100 player or more a scholarship. Just offering as many kids as possible to see what he could get. That might be the way to do it now with transfer portal blowing up. Offer everyone you know. Strike up even a minor relationship with them and keep in touch, cause it seems like majority of kids will end up looking for new schools and you have your foot in the door - remember us - we offered you right out of HS.
I just don't think it carries any weight in the first decision or in a transfer decision. I knew kids offered early by Bryant. it's fun for a day because you're a sophomore. then it's almost embarrassing. "Bryant? they offer everybody!".
none of them ever considered going to Bryant and none did.

I agree - it doesn't mean anything coming from Bryant. BUT - Bryant did make the NCAA tourney this past season and they did add 4 players off the portal I believe - with one of them being the main shooter from the St. Peters - Doug Edert. And the 3 other players they picked up from the portal were from Hofstra, Rhode Island, and St. Francis Brooklyn.

But would it be different if the school offering all these players was a school like UR, or UMASS, etc. Bryant doesn't really have a name - but that could change if they string together some NCAA's. But maybe a mid-major school does this - would it be different or viewed different?

Richmond should in no way possible emulate the Bryant recruiting model. This is an insane proposition. I understand the theory behind what you're saying - make more connections with recruits for future exploitation - but this is not the way to do it.

I think the aspirations of Richmond recruiting is (and always should be) to land these kids, not to set up a future grab of them if things don't pan out at their first school in 3-5 years.

Richmond should in no way possible emulate the Bryant recruiting model. This is an insane proposition. I understand the theory behind what you're saying - make more connections with recruits for future exploitation - but this is not the way to do it.

I think the aspirations of Richmond recruiting is (and always should be) to land these kids, not to set up a future grab of them if things don't pan out at their first school in 3-5 years.
I am not suggesting we emulate Bryant. Don't think we could from an admissions standpoint. BUT - I do think schools, UR Included - need to cast a wider net now when recruiting HS kids. If the portal continues as is - recruiting HS kids will become secondary to transfers, as it almost already is. So we will need to recruit additional kids - that maybe we know we have little to no chance of getting out of HS, with the thought - maybe this kid transfers in the future. Is that offering 100 kids a year like Bryant - no. But maybe it means staying in touch longer, recruiting longer, even with kids who don't put us in their top 5. Keep the lines of communication open and see what happens down the road.

Reactions: Zeeter
I just don't think it carries any weight in the first decision or in a transfer decision. I knew kids offered early by Bryant. it's fun for a day because you're a sophomore. then it's almost embarrassing. "Bryant? they offer everybody!".
none of them ever considered going to Bryant and none did.
However, if Bryant included a 7 figure NIL with every offer, maybe a few would...

Texas A&M offer for Barksdale today. I'm sure we're staying close in touch with him since we're probably regularly visiting Trevor, but looks like he could end up with some very good offers. Long way to go with this one.

VT and Mississippi State offers in the last week for Silas. Looks like he's starting to get that high-major attention.

Silas Barksdale sounds like the absolute least likely name for a vcu player that I have ever heard. Are they also recruiting Huffington Q. Pennyfeather?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT