ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Days, Wednesday, December 19th and Feb 6th

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
Russ formal presentation to be held at a TBD location immediately prior to the home basketball game v GMU on February 6th.

Heavy dosage of Saturday recruit visits to include December 1st(Wake Forest) and December 15th(Oral Roberts).

Contact period November 25-December 15,January 11-February 2.

Dead period December 17-January 10,February 4-7.

From Spiders Sportsline transcription:

“Russ says he expects a signing class of 16 high schoolers and 3-4 transfers for a total class of 19-20.

He expects to sign 12-14 high schoolers in December with the remainder coming in the February timeframe.

Brissett was mentioned as a possible returnee because of his injury “redshirt” season.” I’m not convinced he’s returning.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but without a QB that can get Brissett the ball, I've got to wonder if he'll be a spider next year. Great, gutsy kid I hope he returns.

I hate to say it, but without a QB that can get Brissett the ball, I've got to wonder if he'll be a spider next year. Great, gutsy kid I hope he returns.
He only got to play with KJ7 this year; so, hope springs eternal, I guess.

f1f32506152da27bd068bc87b2dcb1fe.jpg

d64696a83121e30bb0c682825720c11e.jpg

r

This will be last weekend(ORU) for coaches to press the flesh with UR recruits and their families before initial signing day next Wednesday.Big turnout for Wake weekend with approx 15 recruits plus their families.Intended signee were unable to show because of playoffs at the time.

Last edited:
I've been pretty tied up today. Have there been any surprises (to the good or the bad)?

Great news!! Shared this in the pinned 2019 commitment list thread but #10 rated DB JUCO in the country just signed his LOI with us. Love this as a positive sign of improved alignment between athletics and admissions! This is fantastic news for us because it hopefully can give Huesman and our future basketball coach a wider pool of student athletes to recruit.

Last edited:
With 12 now in the fold, would we be looking to add another 2-6 in February? Or do we think it will be all transfers?

Glad to hear, Tom. I am sure that your son will be a great Spider and will enjoy his time at Richmond. Welcome aboard!

Reactions: tomcoll35
First thank you for the kind words about Ryan. We are extremely excited that Ryan chose UR. As far as the recruiting goes the UR coaching staff was always straight with us and when they told us anything it felt genuine. That wasn't always the case going through the process with some other schools. The day Ryan committed was the day they revealed the new facilities. When Ryan told Coach Corp he wanted to commit and then watching them walking down the hallway, and the excitement Coach Corp openly showed towards Ryan, we knew this was the right choice. It was amazing, all of a sudden every coach came out of their offices and was congratulating Ryan, and us. Coach Ross gave him a big bear hug and the exuberance they all showed towards Ryan committing...words can't express the feelings we had driving home that day. The coaches have continued to be great and we have never doubted that this is the best place for Ryan. Ryan's dream is to play in the NFL and since that is a long shot for anyone, getting a degree from UR makes his mother and I extremely happy that he chose the Spiders.

Ryan's senior year was a lot of fun for us. I did feel bad for the other dad's who were watching their kids playing football for the last time. Ryan actually tore a tendon partially off the bone in his ankle in the first game of the year. The Doctor told him he couldn't make it any worse, and the only thing that would heal it was rest, so he taped it up and never missed a practice or game. It hindered him at times when he had to plant his foot in the ground but he's a tough guy and never used it as an excuse. He was voted as the only permanent captain with 3 other seniors rotating each game. He made 1st team All-District DE for the 3rd year and after earning 2nd team TE his sophomore year made 1st team TE the next 2 years. Last year he was 2nd team All-Region at DE and Honorable Mention TE. This year he made 1st team All-Region TE and 2nd team DE. The All-State teams for 6A haven't been announced yet. Sophomore and junior years he was named first team All-Underclassmen by Va Preps. Oh yeah, Ryan was also the punter this year. He had zero form but kicked the crap out of the ball. His end over end punts were hard to handle and twice he rolled the ball down to the 1 yard line. He couldn't grasp the roughing the punter penalty though and guys would run into him but he wouldn't fall down. I told him he has to go down and they get the ball back but he wasn't having any of that. He thought it was weak if a smaller guy knocked him over. Anyway, like my Official Visit post expressed, this coaching staff has recruited a special class and we feel extremely blessed that they thought enough of Ryan to include him.

Thanks for sharing all that, Tom, and welcome to the family. You will find that we have our quirks but we all wants whats best for the program and players and coaches.

And I'm sure you caught SpiderRick's eye with the punting.

JOIN US FOR OUR 2019 NATIONAL SIGNING DAY PARTY

Spider Football invites you to their 2019 National Signing Day Party to introduce a new wave of Richmond Spiders! The party is exclusively for our season ticket holders as it provides the opportunity to hear right from Head Coach Russ Huesman and members of his staff.

When: Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Time: 5-5:30 – Mix & Mingle; 5:30-6:30 – Signing Day Program

Where: UR Campus • Tyler Haynes Commons • Alice Haynes Room

There will be light snacks served before programming begins. The event precedes the Men’s Basketball game against George Mason at 7 p.m. in the Robins Center. The Athletic Department will provide a shuttle from the Tyler Haynes Commons to the Robins Center for the game that evening. Please RSVP below for our National Signing Day Party!

RSVP TODAY FOR OUR SIGNING DAY EVENT!

Reactions: urfan1
Spiders add personnel in coaches' offices, locker room on second signing day

JOHN O'CONNOR·10 hours ago

The University of Richmond football program added personnel in the coaches' offices and the locker room Wednesday, the start of the traditional signing period.

Coach Russ Huesman announced the hiring of assistants Brandon Lacy (defensive line), Wesley Satterfield (to-be-determined offensive capacity), and Johnson Richardson (tight ends). Lacy spent the last 10 years on the Southeastern Louisiana staff, Satterfield was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for Austin Peay's last three teams, and Richardson was at Charlotte the last seven years.

Huesman has one more assistant to hire after the offseason departures of Carey Bailey, Aaron Corp, Sparky Woods and Marc Bacote.

"You never like to lose coaches. You never like to have to go hire," said Huesman, who's in his third year at UR. "But what it does, it gives you new thoughts, new ideas. ... Change is good sometimes."

The Spiders have 19 new players for this season, at this point. Before summer camp commences, Richmond will have about six more new players who arrive as graduate transfers, transfers, or walk-ons, according to Huesman.

"Right now, every position is on the list," he said. "We're going to to try and make our team better in any way we can, whatever that position is."

The Spiders would seem to be in the market for a quarterback after UR ranked next to last in the FCS in interceptions thrown (18) last season, when it went 4-7 (2-6 CAA).

In coming football seasons, Richmond may start two players on the defensive line who played together in high school. The Spiders announced that they received letters of intent from Scott Schenke and Marlem Louis, who played at Venice High, in Venice, Fla.

Richmond and most other Division I schools signed the majority of their incoming players on Dec. 19, which began the early-signing period.

NOTE PARAGRAPHS 5 & 6
—————————————

The Spiders have 19 new players for this season, at this point. Before summer camp commences, Richmond will have about six more new players who arrive as graduate transfers, transfers, or walk-ons, according to Huesman.

"Right now, every position is on the list," he said. "We're going to to try and make our team better in any way we can, whatever that position is."

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderhawk111
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT