ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Scrimmage

I will take this as a positive. Its a crapshoot on these types of games I know, as we have no idea how Mooney and Young decided to play this - but great to see it was close. According to the "Almanac" (I took sman's recommendation and purchased a copy) Va Tech is predicted 6th out of 15 in ACC, and a number 9 seed. The still have our old friend Justyn Mutts, who must be 10 years older than Grant Golden at this point. And a good player.

Glad that we played a legit team in this scrimmage.

I will take this as a positive. Its a crapshoot on these types of games I know, as we have no idea how Mooney and Young decided to play this - but great to see it was close. According to the "Almanac" (I took sman's recommendation and purchased a copy) Va Tech is predicted 6th out of 15 in ACC, and a number 9 seed. The still have our old friend Justyn Mutts, who must be 10 years older than Grant Golden at this point. And a good player.

Glad that we played a legit team in this scrimmage.
I prefer to think that KenPom is correct.
Hokies are 4th in ACC at 12-8 #21 Nationally (19th Offense, 29th Defense).
I also prefer to think of this as a regular season away game, then 56-55 seems a bit impressive. :)

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Spider13 said we looked good. I believe he was referring to our 7 footer from China first name Chang.

From what I know scrimmages are glorified practices. That said, the fact that we hung with an ACC team is validating that this team has some talent. Would love to know how Nelson played. He is the biggest and most important unknown coming in. I know what we are getting from Goose, Burton, Grace and to a lesser extent the 3 transfers because they all have extensive bodies of work.

Try not to look too much into scrimmages. Too much variables go on in these things that we have no idea how it was really played. We look good - we get overly optimistic. We look bad - we get overly down on our team.

I like the scrimmage against a good team like VA Tech. But would also like it if UR did an exhibition to go with it as well. Think your allowed 2 of these games a year - so why not scrimmage a D3 team - there are enough around locally within a bus ride to play us. Plus it gives the fans a sneak peak, you can charge minimal amount for the game (all seats $5 - first come first serve). Cheap and limited concessions. Get the music going, lights, etc - dry run for the new guys in a Spider Uniform.

Try not to look too much into scrimmages. Too much variables go on in these things that we have no idea how it was really played. We look good - we get overly optimistic. We look bad - we get overly down on our team.

I like the scrimmage against a good team like VA Tech. But would also like it if UR did an exhibition to go with it as well. Think your allowed 2 of these games a year - so why not scrimmage a D3 team - there are enough around locally within a bus ride to play us. Plus it gives the fans a sneak peak, you can charge minimal amount for the game (all seats $5 - first come first serve). Cheap and limited concessions. Get the music going, lights, etc - dry run for the new guys in a Spider Uniform.
And this shows why we are fans and not coaches.
Way better to schedule a scrimmage against a team of equal or better talent as you can’t simulate that in practice.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Reactions: Long Island Spiders
JOC with the scrimmage report...

Nelson, Goose, Burton, Grace, Quinn as starters. Burton led the way of course, but Nelson shot pretty well in 27 minutes though that assist to turnover ratio isn't great. Sounds like Bigelow and Bailey shaping up for prominent roles off the bench.

Nelson, Goose, Burton, Grace, Quinn as starters. Burton led the way of course, but Nelson shot pretty well in 27 minutes though that assist to turnover ratio isn't great. Sounds like Bigelow and Bailey shaping up for prominent roles off the bench.

So what is the scoop on Roche not being in our top 7? Defensive issues?

We won the game so I'm not sure why the paper says we lost. Jason had 8 and Dji 6 and and VT would love to hear that Dji's 1st shot was a made 3 😳 Dji didn't have any TOs and both controlled the game. Dji also played about 28 min right behind TB's mins.

JOC - "Nelson, the only true point guard on the roster, ..."

take a deep breath, Dad! :D
if they don't know, they don't know!
😂 They will know shortly...JOC record for me hasn't been the greatest...the last sentence is pretty poopy too.

Reactions: spiderman
We won the game so I'm not sure why the paper says we lost. Jason had 8 and Dji 6 and and VT would love to hear that Dji's 1st shot was a made 3 😳 Dji didn't have any TOs and both controlled the game. Dji also played about 28 min right behind TB's mins.
with 28 minutes, I assume he played a little WITH Nelson?

How many assists did each have? Since you’re fine with sharing the points… 😉

We're all winners, guys.

200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT