ADVERTISEMENT

Schmidt’s Bonnies beat VCU at Siegel

The fact that we have not handed this man a blank check to be our coach is almost malpractice at this point.
The fact that you can't lure a coach from the frozen tundra of Olean with unlimited money speaks to the charm of your campus and fanbase.

The fact that you can't lure a coach from the frozen tundra of Olean with unlimited money speaks to the charm of your campus and fanbase.
I am willing to bet no one on the Bonnies team could get into and survive the rigorous UR admissions and education.

Staying in Short Pump. After touring historic Goochland, they can go to the Capital Ale House.

Reactions: urfan1
Mark Schmidt turned down an offer from UMass last year extimated between 1.4 and 1.8 million annually even though it would move him closer to his home town. Obviously likes Olean and the dynamics at St. Bonaventure. Don't imagine he is interested in moving. Admire his loyalty.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/coll...cle_cc99a464-aaed-11ec-8aa9-8f2337a662fb.html
maybe he likes the safety of being somewhere he can always be considered an overachiever ... since nobody thinks it's possible to recruit to Olean.

move up in pay but fail, and the next thing you know you're somebody's assistant.

Reactions: spider fan
maybe he likes the safety of being somewhere he can always be considered an overachiever ... since nobody thinks it's possible to recruit to Olean.

move up in pay but fail, and the next thing you know you're somebody's assistant.
Ahh, the Chris Mooney approach. If you have some sucker willing to pay you a million forever, don't go with the job that pays you 1.5 million but actually will monitor your performance.

Ahh, the Chris Mooney approach. If you have some sucker willing to pay you a million forever, don't go with the job that pays you 1.5 million but actually will monitor your performance.
Why would you want to get scrutinized by your new boss when the old one thinks showing up half the time is wonderful.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Opposite? In 15 years at St Bona, Schmidt has 3 NCAAs, 2 NITs, a 57% winning % overall, and a 56 % winning % IC. And, no I am not getting on Schmidt at all. I think he has done a great job there.
he's way more consistent than Mooney with a much worse environment. Imagining Schmidt with the Richmond resources is scary. The numbers are skewed because Schmidt came to Bonas when the program was terrible. They got hit with a tourney ban back in 2008 and Schmidt came in and saved the program. He has done tremendous job unlike CM. Since 2014-15, Schmidt hasn't won less than 10 games in the a10. Also his record is 162-85 with 2 tourney appearances (btw those teams didn't need a miracle run to make the tourney because they performed in the regular season). Meanwhile Mooney is 146-112 with one tourney appearance. This CM and Schmidt similarly comparison needs to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
he's way more consistent than Mooney with a much worse environment.
This is so funny to hear. Much worse environment? So, are you saying no high schooI kid should ever pick St Bona over us? We are that much above them? I am proud to be a Richmond graduate, but why would you think high school kids would think Richmond is such a better environment than St Bona? College teams make their own environment. We might have a great one here, but why can't St Bona have a great one also? Are you saying all of the talented players Schmidt has gotten are stupid because they went there? Maybe they like it there?

Imagining Schmidt with the Richmond resources is scary.
Resources? I thought our administration didn't care about winning.
He has done tremendous job unlike CM. Since 2014-15, Schmidt hasn't won less than 10 games in the a10.
So, we can't start at 2020, and we can't start at 2010, but it's okay to start at 2015? LOL. Okay. That's pretty solid, but haven't we been told on here a million times that 10-8 IC sucks? I agree he has done a great job there. I think Mooney has done great here too.

Also his record is 162-85 with 2 tourney appearances (btw those teams didn't need a miracle run to make the tourney because they performed in the regular season).
Actually, one of them did. He has one at large bid, same as Mooney.

Last edited:
This is so funny to hear. Much worse environment? So, are you saying no high schooI kid should ever pick St Bona over us? We are that much above them? I am proud to be a Richmond graduate, but why would you think high school kids would think Richmond is such a better environment than St Bona? College teams make their own environment. We might have a great one here, but why can't St Bona have a great one also? Are you saying all of the talented players Schmidt has gotten are stupid because they went there? Maybe they like it there?
No I'm not saying the players are stupid for choosing Bonas over Richmond, they do what they want and that's okay. And hell we've had recruits that we took away from bonas and other places (Tyler Burton being an example and maybe he shoud've chosen Bonas over us because they have a good coach) Environment I mean the surrounding area, Richmond, VA is miles better than Olean and Allegany. Bonas does make up for it with their diehard fans but still, Richmond is miles better than Olean.
Resources? I thought our administration didn't care about winning.
They don't, we would've fired mooney by now if they did. But it doesn't mean we don't have money. we literally had a state of the art practice facility built while Bonas just practices in Reilly Center which is one of the oldest gyms in the conference and they are putting up better results.
So, we can't start at 2020, and we can't start at 2010, but it's okay to start at 2015? LOL. Okay. That's pretty solid, but haven't we been told on here a million times that 10-8 IC sucks? I agree he has done a tremendous job there. I think Mooney has here too.

Actually, one of them did. He has one at large bid, same as Mooney.
I used 2015- now because its recent history, which doest favor your boy. It shows that Richmond has been mediocre for quite some time now. I wouldn't complain if Richmond went 10-8 in conference if they were as consistent as the Bonnies. And that was the worse Ic record during this stretch btw. Mind you Bonnies were 7-21 the season prior to Schmidt getting there. They're program sucked, was awful and schimdt got them to the tourney. Chris did a great job when he first got here no doubt, but the year's 2011-12 through 2018-19 were bad. Consistency underperformed, but continued to ride those two runs. By the way, Mooney at-large was 2009-10, schimdt has had two since then (yes im counting their a10 chip year because they were gonna make it anyways)

I also liked how you ignored the records that I displayed too by the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT