ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Thomas - 2021 Offer

Reactions: plydogg
Looking to cut his list to a top 5 in the next week or two, and it looks like both we and VCU are after him pretty hard.

He does say he's prioritizing VCU, TCU, and SMU for official visits right now and would use an unofficial on us if he goes on an official to VCU. Not sure the rationale for that. Of course, who knows when visits will be allowed.

“I talk to VCU and Richmond every day,” Thomas said. “Sometimes we talk about just life and trying to make conversation about school and how things are going. It’s not always about basketball.”

There is a family connection on the East Coast.

“My aunt (Tosha) lives in Virginia, and I have a handful of cousins that live in Virginia,” he said. “It would be nice to have them close.”

Looking to cut his list to a top 5 in the next week or two, and it looks like both we and VCU are after him pretty hard.

He does say he's prioritizing VCU, TCU, and SMU for official visits right now and would use an unofficial on us if he goes on an official to VCU. Not sure the rationale for that. Of course, who knows when visits will be allowed.

Maybe someone can drive him to our campus instead of VCU and he’ll take his visit here

seems he has a type. VCU, TCU and SMU have more in common with each other than they do with us. but if we get him on campus we have a shot.

Reactions: Spiderstew1962
Rated third best 2021 prospect in Nebraska.

Thomas had a breakout junior season were he averaged 15.8 points, 4.2 assists, 6.6 rebounds, and 1.7 steals per game on the state runner up Millard North Mustangs. Many division one programs have started getting interested, and it is easy to see why. Thomas is around 6’6 with size and strength to play either forward position and agility to get up and down the court in transition. He stretches the floor with shooting touch from the perimeter and uses his size to shoot over smaller wing defenders. He creates space to shoot with size up cross overs and step back moves. Thomas holds multiple division one offers from school such as SMU, Pepperdine, Richmond, Virginia Tech, TCU, Mississippi State, VCU, and UNO.

Top 7 for Saint...no real surprises. UR, Mississippi State, New Mexico, Pepperdine, VCU, SMU, and TCU. I’m going to choose to take the fact we’re listed first as a good omen.

really nice player. as I always like to compare to other Spiders, he reminds me most of ... a righty Marcus Randolph.

Indications have been that we're going to hold our final scholarship, so maybe we're not involved with Saint anymore, but who knows. Anyway, he picked up an offer from Texas-Rio Grande Valley.

Saint Thomas looks like a baller. He would be a good addition.
he cut his list to 7 two months ago, and now says he's 100% open.
I could be wrong but that might mean some of those spots he was interested in got filled, like the forward spots at UR and VCU.

you've got to be careful waiting too long when you have offers. tough to make decisions when you can't visit, but you don't want decisions made for you either. grab the spot that feels right.

No idea whether we’re still involved with Saint, as he’s a another wing player, but he dropped a school record 48 points tonight.

Looks like we're no longer involved.

Back in the late summer after a solid run in grassroots events with the OSA Crusaders, Thomas released a top seven that included Mississippi State, New Mexico, Pepperdine, Richmond, SMU, TCU and VCU but he's pretty much had to restart the recruiting process.

“I’ve opened things back up," Thomas told 247Sports. "TCU is still involved and that’s probably the only team from that group. The transfer portal, seniors being able to stay and then guys signing early changed things.

“Now I’ve been talking to Loyola (Chicago), Bradley, TCU still and I’ve been on the phone with Florida Atlantic and I’ve talked to Tulsa as well.”

He just picked up a Bradley offer.

• Sad
"The transfer portal, seniors being able to stay and then guys signing early changed things."

this is what drives me nuts! he's playing great so I'm sure it'll all work out, but he had a bunch of really good offers and he took his time. schools offer multiple kids for their spots and he waited while other kids took the spots he was offered for. I could never let the decision be made for me. If I really liked an offer I'd grab it unless someone tells me the dream offer is close. maybe he was waiting for one special offer. but he did get it to a final 7. he just couldn't pull the trigger.

Wondering if some of the schools told him point blank, hey, we've got X number of players who are planning to use the extra year... And maybe we were one of them?

Wondering if some of the schools told him point blank, hey, we've got X number of players who are planning to use the extra year... And maybe we were one of them?
More likely we told him "we're in desperate need of bigs." Noyes took his spot.

More likely we told him "we're in desperate need of bigs." Noyes took his spot.
or Randolph did.
Saint Thomas announced his top 7 with us on it on 9/18.
Randolph committed 9/25. that might have been the spot for him.
Noyes didn't commit until 10/24.

Probably a combination of the two...think Noyes and Thomas are most similar, but certainly with both Noyes and Randolph on board we didn’t need another guy in that size range. Although I’ve been told we can go with a 1, a 5, and three wings.

Gilly understandably not tipping his hand about any chance of returning. Have to imagine there have been some thoughts about it, but smart move to keep those private for now.

Gilly understandably not tipping his hand about any chance of returning. Have to imagine there have been some thoughts about it, but smart move to keep those private for now.

And this relates to Saint Thomas how? It's ok SF, your mistakes are so few and far between.

And this relates to Saint Thomas how? It's ok SF, your mistakes are so few and far between.
I debated where to put it, but since Eight Legger raised the issue here yesterday that schools may have backed off of Saint because some seniors may have decided to come back, thought it was appropriate to mention here.

Another article on Saint's recruiting...he missed out because he was waiting in hopes the NCAA would allow in-person visits. Still no sign we've gotten back in the mix with him, so this ship definitely seems to have sailed.

He certainly seems like a player...leading his highly regarded team in scoring (24.3), rebounds (7.8) and assists (4.9). And that's with top-10 recruit Hunter Sallis as a classmate.

Sure feels like we could beat out these other schools for his recruitment, and getting a guy who can create for himself, create for others, and rebound would seem like a priority

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT