ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento State(11-0)

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
2022 Sacramento State Football Schedule (11-0)

9/3/2022 Utah Tech (4-7) Sacramento, Calif. W 56-33
9/17/2022 at Northern Iowa (6-5) Cedar Falls, IA W 37-21
9/24/2022 at Colorado State University (3-9) Fort Collins, Colo. W 41-10
10/1/2022 * at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, (2-9) Calif. W 49-21
10/8/2022 * Northern Colorado (3-8) Sacramento, Calif. W 55-7
10/15/2022 * at Eastern Washington (3-8) Cheney, Wash. W 52-28
10/22/2022 * Montana (7-4) Sacramento, Calif. W 31-24 OT
10/29/2022 * Idaho (7-4) Sacramento, Calif. / Hornet Stadium W 31-28
11/5/2022 * at Weber State (10-2) Ogden, Utah W 33-30
11/11/2022 * at Portland State (4-7) Hillsboro, Ore. W 45-17
11/19/2022 * UC Davis (6-5) Sacramento, Calif. W 27-21

* Big Sky Conference

EDITED to add final records of each opponent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winning at UNI, Colorado State, EWU and Weber State on the road is....remarkable.

What style of play are we in for 32? Spread offense? Standouts on defense?

Edit- EWU stunk this year but still an incredible resume.

Last edited:
They missed Montana State, but did win their FBS game by a bunch. beat two Big Sky Playoff teams in close contest at home and had impressive road win against another one vs Weber St that was also close. UNI win away is also a pretty good one most years but not so much this year. Big Sky is like CAA, and has several quality teams. Looks like they run it real well, maybe we have a game plan to stop that and can make them throw it, but they look ok at that also, just not as good as running.

Last time I remember the Spiders playing an undefeated #2 seed they took Hampton apart, this however is a team from a much better conference and they have been tested in close games at home and away.

Passing:
————-

GP/ATT/CMP/PCT/YDS/ TD /INT
Jake Dunniway 11/244/148 /60./1867/16 /10

Receiving:
—————-
GP/. REC. /YDS/AVG/TD
Marshel Martin TE 10 43 587 13.7 8
Pierre Williams WR 11 36 509 14.1 6
Jared Gipson WR 11 28 308 11.0 2
Cameron Skattebo RB 11 24 281 11.7 3
Marcus Fulcher RB 10 33 238 7.2 2
Parker Clayton WR 10 15 226 15.1 2

Rushing:
————-

GP/ATT/YDS/AVG/TD
Cameron Skattebo 11 168 1250 7.4 5
Asher O'Hara 11 175 798 4.6 19
Marcus Fulcher 10 60 349 5.8 6
Elijah Tau-Tolliver 9 23 175 7.6 0

Last edited:
Reactions: paward and urfan1
Keep in mind we housed UVA a number of years back and lost in the FCS playoffs, so I wouldn't take that much away from that game especially since it was earlier in the season. I'm more impressed at their ability to win close games. Sac State is legit. Vulnerable passing game so I don't think well get blown out. I am of the opinion we need to get out there and strike early and force them to be one dimensional as they play catchup to give us out best chance to win. Go out there and play loose, all the pressure is on Sac State, get them behind early and they start thinking about those previous early playoff exits (0-2 all time).

I feel better after looking more at their opponents records, I added the final regular season records for each team. See opening post by 32.

Reactions: SpiderK
They missed Montana State, but did win their FBS game by a bunch. beat two Big Sky Playoff teams in close contest at home and had impressive road win against another one vs Weber St that was also close. UNI win away is also a pretty good one most years but not so much this year. Big Sky is like CAA, and has several quality teams. Looks like they run it real well, maybe we have a game plan to stop that and can make them throw it, but they look ok at that also, just not as good as running.

Last time I remember the Spiders playing an undefeated #2 seed they took Hampton apart, this however is a team from a much better conference and they have been tested in close games at home and away.
You forgot about 2015 when we went to #2 Illinois State and ran for and 700 yards on them.

From their team stats, potential keys to game They are -9 on TO's. Fumbled 17 lost 8 opponents 10 lost 8. Int's 11 opponents 9. Penalties 63 times for 590 yds -- 53.64 pg, opponents 47 times for 468 yds -- 42.55 pg.

Red Zone (been an issue for us) SS 59 att, 51 scores 42 TD's opponents: 33 attempts, 28 scores, 20 D's.

SS 14-17 FG's. Punts: 40.93 net 38.79, so don't kick deep but cover well.

CAA has 4 of 16 teams still standing. We have played the other 3 and beaten 2.

Spiders need not be cowered by the SS Hornets. An undefeated and worthy opponent, but one Spiders are capable of defeating. Not saying we will, but going to be a very competitive contest, #2 seed or not.

Reactions: mojo-spider
We might go out there and get killed, but Sac State has played a lot of garbage this year, including Colorado State. Their opponents were 54-69 overall. The best win they have probably was Weber State (10-2) by 3. They did go 3-0 against playoff teams, all from their league, with the wins by 3, 3, and 7 points. (So far one of those teams, Idaho, has lost in the playoffs and another, Montana, is losing by 14 at home at halftime.)

All the good or decent teams they played were right there with them and had a chance to win. Kudos to them for going undefeated, but I think they've probably only seen one team as good as us all year.

(Our opponents were 71-65 and we are 4-2 against playoff teams, btw.)

Last edited:
We’ve never played Weber. You thinking of North Dakota maybe? Not sure who else it might be.

Reactions: urfan1

How tight will the necktie be?​

Division I FCS playoffs[edit]​

The Hornets have made two appearances in the FCS Playoffs. Their record is 0–2.

YearRoundOpponentResult
2019Second RoundAustin PeayL 28–42
2021Second RoundSouth Dakota StateL 19–24

Watched a bit of their games against Weber and Idaho yesterday. Their two QB system is unique but works for them. #12 is bigger and mostly throws, #10 smaller and mostly runs. Both quick decision makers. They have a small RB who is pretty shifty too. WR #16 Martin is a stud, but surprisingly only had about 600 receiving yards all year.

It appears they've been pretty balanced offensively this year, but if we can slow down their rushing attack, I think they'll have some issues.

Didn't get to figure out much about their defense, but just looking at the stats, it seems fairly pedestrian. They are not good at pressuring the QB (only nine sacks all year... We have 28) but created about the same number of takeaways we did.

Feels like we will be able to run our offense pretty effectively and put up some points, and the game likely will come down to our ability to limit theirs.

Jet lag is not as bad going east to west, but still I wish that the team would leave on Wednesday rather than Thursday to get just one more day to recover,

Last edited:
Reactions: DTSpider
Espn likes Sacramento State:

1. Sacramento State (11-0)​

SP+ rank: first (third offense, second defense)

Advancement odds: 78.0% to reach the quarterfinals, 22.2% to win the title

When Troy Taylor took over at Sac State in 2019, the Hornets had won 13 games over the last four seasons. Five straight coaches had left with losing records. They hadn't won a playoff game since the 1988 D-II quarterfinals. Taylor ignited things immediately. He's 29-7 overall and an incredible 23-1 in the Big Sky. This year they have a 1,200-yard rusher (Cameron Skattebo), plus a run-first backup QB who's scored 19 touchdowns and a defense led by two of the most dynamic players in the country: linebacker Armon Bailey and nickel back Marte Mapu. They stomped Colorado State, and they've beaten four ranked opponents in the last five weeks.

Huesman ain't used to flying to Cali either. If he can get to Sacramento from Richmond in 4 hours I want to know what plane we're flying. Gotta be at least 5.

Troy Taylor is a very good coach. He may be up for some FCS jobs.
Interesting about Taylor, he was Eastern Washington's OC when we last made the playoffs in 2016. His Cooper Kupp led offense shred us that day.

Would be a shame if additional rumors somehow began and created even more districtions this week...

Troy Taylor, Sacramento State coach to Stanford?
A West Coast fixture, Taylor has made it known he is ready to make the leap to a Power Five job. His name has been attached to the Colorado search. When Bill Musgraves was fired as offensive coordinator at Cal, Taylor's name immediately popped up at his alma mater. In two seasons with Taylor as Utah offensive coordinator (2017-18), the Utes went 16-11 and advanced to the Pac-12 Championship Game in 2018. In his one year as offensive coordinator at Eastern Washington (2016), Taylor oversaw Cooper Kupp, who caught 114 passes, 19 of them for touchdowns. The Hornets are currently 11-0 and headed to the FCS playoffs. All 28 years of his high school and college career have been west of the Rockies, only four years outside the state of California."

Stat matchup

Coach Taylor named by ESPN as potential candidate at Stanford. Those type of distractions can be difficult on a team as we well know from 2009 & 2016.
If the Sacramento fans are aware of this, the team must really know about it.

"According to this article Taylor is a top 5 prospect for Stanford’s head coach role. Not surprised except I don’t feel he’s “made it known he is ready to make the leap to a Power Five job.”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... avid-shaw/"

Sacramento State is losing their coach.

ADVERTISEMENT