ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Mutombo - 4 star recruit - 2021 - 6"11" Center

At least like seeing us making an effort for these type of kids - and they way to do it, is try to get in early with them. Are they more likely to end up at a P5 - probably so. But maybe you get a kid who appreciates you being there from day 1 and sees the potential of the program.
I feel like lately we would not even be mentioned with these kids - so at least being in the conversation, albeit pushed out now - shows we are trying to recruit these top 100 kids. Which is a positive.

At least like seeing us making an effort for these type of kids - and they way to do it, is try to get in early with them. Are they more likely to end up at a P5 - probably so. But maybe you get a kid who appreciates you being there from day 1 and sees the potential of the program.
I feel like lately we would not even be mentioned with these kids - so at least being in the conversation, albeit pushed out now - shows we are trying to recruit these top 100 kids. Which is a positive.

add to that, they go P5, they get limited playing time, or plenty of time with some success but get recruited over and they begin to look to transfer -- they might recall the good felling they had for UR

Reactions: nathanw19
Tennessee State offer...not likely to be our stiffest competitor for his services.

add to that, they go P5, they get limited playing time, or plenty of time with some success but get recruited over and they begin to look to transfer -- they might recall the good felling they had for UR
Agreed - in this day and age of transfers, not to mention the NCAA is considering a 1 time waiver for all transfers so they don't have to sit out. Any kid in the top 100 in the Richmond area (or within 2 hours of it) should be recruited by the Spiders. Even if we know our chances are slim - the kid is in your backyard, build the relationship - you never know - he might pick the Spiders now or might pick them later if he decides to transfer.

Another big about to come off the board. No chance we’re involved.

Georgetown has long been the leader. Momentum did shift to Tennessee for a while, but seems to have swung back to the Hoyas.

Reactions: plydogg
G’town it is. We were never seriously in the mix as far as I could tell...not going to put this one on Mooney. Between the legacy/Ewing factor and all of the other P5 interest, it would have taken a miracle for us to be in the convo.

Another L for Mooney. Local GA recruiting site actually had Schieffelin over him. But anyway, Mooney always has a reason for the L.
we, and everybody else not named Georgetown, never had a chance with Mutumbo. he played the game and let people recruit him for fun, but he's known Ewing his entire life. he literally calls Ewing "Uncle Pat". lol. he was never going anywhere else.

nothing to see here.

G’town it is. We were never seriously in the mix as far as I could tell...not going to put this one on Mooney. Between the legacy/Ewing factor and all of the other P5 interest, it would have taken a miracle for us to be in the convo.
The question in my mind why even bother? Does the staff get credit for making an effort regardless of how highly unlikely it is? In my opinion you need to have some stretch goals, but not impossible ones.

We were one of his earliest offers. No reason not to make an effort at that point, but once it became clear which way things were going, I'm sure we stopped investing time and energy in him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT