ADVERTISEMENT

Rotation when Dji Bailey returns from injury

Dji - 4.1
Nelson - 3.6

probably not enough minutes for Dji to read too much into that though.
Thanks sman.

I thought he would be higher but wasn’t entirely sure. I’m interested in seeing how those numbers shake out at the end of the season. Those assist numbers, along with his defense, are a big part of the reason why I’m so high on him. Feel he has the potential to be a high assist guy while playing great defense and rebounding. Just hard for him to find a groove and rhythm when injuries strike

The second observation from me is that I saw a different Bailey when I saw him in person (twice) this year. I watched him closely during warm-ups and during his time on the floor. He showed a higher level of athleticism than I had noticed on tv. He also looked more physical in person, with a good leap, and quickness. He (and Randolph) stood out athletically as compared to most of the rest of the team.
This is Dji's differential advantage. His size and length for a PG is something that should give us a match-up advantage, particularly on the defensive end of things. Again, he has to be cognizant of turnovers and also contribute offensively.

The GW game is a great example. Nelson was getting worked defensively by both of GW hyper physical guards. It would have been great to see Dji and Goose up against their two guards, I have a feeling the defensive results in the first half might have been different with a different match-ups.

Feels to me like any of the guys who are getting 5-15 minutes a game should probably be laser focused on doing one or two things really well, rather than trying to do everything well. And it also depends to an extent upon which they are in with and what those guys do well.

Of course, I have no idea what the staff preaches and maybe this is not their approach. But I’d think it becomes easier to be effective in short spurts if you are not trying to master 10 things each time.

potential to be a high assist guy while playing great defense and rebounding.
Ironic you that say that because with small sample size (100 minutes or more total playing time which includes 9 players) per 40 minute rebounding comes in at .....
11.1 Bigs
8.6 Burton
8.3 Quinn
8.3 Dji
nobody else above 6

Reactions: plydogg
Thanks sman.

I thought he would be higher but wasn’t entirely sure. I’m interested in seeing how those numbers shake out at the end of the season. Those assist numbers, along with his defense, are a big part of the reason why I’m so high on him. Feel he has the potential to be a high assist guy while playing great defense and rebounding. Just hard for him to find a groove and rhythm when injuries strike
Assists to turnovers are 13 assists and 15 turnovers so far this year. That is concerning if we are talkiing PG, but the rebound numbers have been good.

Assists to turnovers are 13 assists and 15 turnovers so far this year. That is concerning if we are talkiing PG, but the rebound numbers have been good.
As far as a possible PG goes, Randolph also has 6 assists to 14 turnovers. For other positions, Bigelow has 10 assists to 16 turnovers. Even Tyler Burton has more turnovers than assists. I’m not worried about turnovers in a small sample size, especially if they’re accompanied by assists.

Especially when you look at the game breakdown and not just averages or total. Dji has 3 games with 3 turnovers. Obviously not good. He also has 7 games with 1 or fewer turnovers. He’s a good player and will be an important piece to the puzzle when he’s back

This is a common discussion on here, and I should feel free to comment. Allow me to ask a fair question. Is it fair to say maybe Dji at PG is not in our plans? He has been here 3 years and not played PG. He did for a little while against FDU and it did not go well. He came in against Rhode Island, brought it up, and immediately got into trouble and turned it over on a held ball. We were told he played a lot of PG pre season. Well, maybe that was to see what we might have there? I even mentioned that in one of our debates when SDad was talking about all the minutes he was getting in practice and scrimmages, and I was saying that is not a tell all, that's what you do pre season to find out more about your players and team. Maybe we took a long look at things and decided Goose and Randolph backing up Nelson at PG was the better way to go. Maybe JOC had more info than some think when he mentioned Goose as our backup and Nelson as our only true PG.

I don't think anything I am saying here is any different from things we have discussed with other players. I'm not attacking, and am trying to be fair with my comments. People are asking why not Dji at PG, and all I am doing is presenting a possibility why. Not saying I know, just asking a fair question. If we haven't seen Dji at PG for 3 years now, isn't it fair to say maybe Dji at PG is not in our plans? Hey, maybe he comes in and plays PG the rest of the way. Who knows? All I am doing is giving my opinion on what has happened up to now, and my reasoning why we have not seen what you are asking for.

I find it ironic that you have a huge issue with this from the backup PG (stats are now 14 AST to 16 TO), yet have no issue with our starting PG who is playing 30 minutes a game having 48 AST to 46 TO.

The whole team is struggling with turnovers this year. Our center who plays 20 minutes a game is leading the team in assists by a fairly wide margin. It’s clear we need to try some new lineup combinations, since limiting turnovers and high assist numbers is supposed to be a hallmark of the Mooney system.

This is a common discussion on here, and I should feel free to comment. Allow me to ask a fair question. Is it fair to say maybe Dji at PG is not in our plans? He has been here 3 years and not played PG. He did for a little while against FDU and it did not go well. He came in against Rhode Island, brought it up, and immediately got into trouble and turned it over on a held ball. We were told he played a lot of PG pre season. Well, maybe that was to see what we might have there? Maybe we took a long look at things and decided Goose and Randolph backing up Nelson at PG was the better way to go. Maybe JOC had more info than some think when he mentioned Goose as our backup and Nelson as our only true PG.

I don't think anything I am saying here is any different from things we have discussed with other players. I'm not attacking, and am trying to be fair with my comments. People are asking why not Dji at PG, and all I am doing is presenting a possibility why. Not saying I know, just asking a fair question. If we haven't seen Dji at PG for 3 years now, isn't it fair to say maybe Dji at PG is not in our plans? Hey, maybe he comes in and plays PG the rest of the way. Who knows? All I am doing is giving my opinion on what has happened up to now, and my reasoning why we have not seen what you are asking for.
It appears you are probably correct but many of us aren't yet completely sold on jaynel.. someone pls correct me but I don't think he played competitive bball in 2 or 3 yrs due to HS injury and redshirt last yr....really don't think putting in DJI for a bit will hurt us any worse than jaynel does at times....

I find it ironic that you have a huge issue with this from the backup PG (stats are now 14 AST to 16 TO), yet have no issue with our starting PG who is playing 30 minutes a game having 48 AST to 46 TO.

The whole team is struggling with turnovers this year. Our center who plays 20 minutes a game is leading the team in assists by a fairly wide margin. It’s clear we need to try some new lineup combinations, since limiting turnovers and high assist numbers is supposed to be a hallmark of the Mooney system.
I hear you, and I was replying to ply's comment about assists. Ply said assists are why he was so high on Dji....so, like you wondering about my post, I was wondering about Ply saying that when the ratio was 13 assists/15 turnovers. That's why I posted what I did. I agree as a team, we have had some turnover issues this year.

It appears you are probably correct but many of us aren't yet completely sold on jaynel.. someone pls correct me but I don't think he played competitive bball in 2 or 3 yrs due to HS injury and redshirt last yr....really don't think putting in DJI for a bit will hurt us any worse than jaynel does at times....
All fair, unless the coaches think we are better with Goose or Randolph there. I have to go with the coaches on this one. They see these guys everyday and saw them all pre season. If they want to give Dji some time at PG, I will say fine, they think he is ready to help us there. If not, I trust them with that decision as well.

Did we see anyone except Gilyard at point for Dji’s first two years? Dude played like 38 minutes a game, come on man that can’t be part of your logic
In games that both Dji and Jacob played last year, Jacob in 5 of them played 35 minutes or less, with no Dji at PG. This year, we are 21 games in and Nelson is averaging 30 minutes, with no Dji at PG. Why can't not playing PG in his 3 years here be part of my logic?

All fair, unless the coaches think we are better with Goose or Randolph there. I have to go with the coaches on this one. They see these guys everyday and saw them all pre season. If they want to give Dji some time at PG, I will say fine, they think he is ready to help us there. If not, I trust them with that decision as well.
CM/staff have a history of being slow to adapt when certain players are getting significant minutes when there seem to be better options. Notable cases were last year with Nick at 2G, TJ Cline earning more time, Deion Taylor needing less time, or Trey Davis playing 2G when it was clear he had ball handling difficulties.

So it’s quite fair to call into question his ability to sort fact from fiction and who some of those starters and top subs are.

as long as ConMoon is the coach and Dji is not playing, 4700 couldn't care less about wins and losses. That is all he needs to be happy

as long as ConMoon is the coach and Dji is not playing, 4700 couldn't care less about wins and losses. That is all he needs to be happy
Look Discover GIF by George Ezra

Def about Dji not playing 😂 he’s as happy as flies on 💩

Reactions: 8legs1dream
CM/staff have a history of being slow to adapt when certain players are getting significant minutes when there seem to be better options. Notable cases were last year with Nick at 2G, TJ Cline earning more time, Deion Taylor needing less time, or Trey Davis playing 2G when it was clear he had ball handling difficulties.

So it’s quite fair to call into question his ability to sort fact from fiction and who some of those starters and top subs are.
??
Nick only started the 1st 2 games last year. TJ has said numerous times his first year here, he was not in the best shape, he couldn't have played more minutes, and he often asked to come out. Deion and Trey were depth issues so that is a different debate. Plenty of other threads here to join and get on Mooney for. Not sure why you chose this one.

I cringe when anyone brings up Deion Taylor’s days as a Spider. I was shocked every time he stepped on to a basketball court in division 1. I still have nightmares of seeing that 1 of 22 side spinning 3 ball going through the air about to clang off the rim into the stands.

In games that both Dji and Jacob played last year, Jacob in 5 of them played 35 minutes or less, with no Dji at PG. This year, we are 21 games in and Nelson is averaging 30 minutes, with no Dji at PG. Why can't not playing PG in his 3 years here be part of my logic?
I think it can be part of your logic but wouldn’t it apply to just about every other player except possibly goose? I mean the only other player who played any point the last couple years was Wilson.

I cringe when anyone brings up Deion Taylor’s days as a Spider. I was shocked every time he stepped on to a basketball court in division 1. I still have nightmares of seeing that 1 of 22 side spinning 3 ball going through the air about to clang off the rim into the stands.
I liked Deion. I’m mostly angry his shooting form wasn’t corrected.

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT